What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoked a bunch of cured venison into pastrami. I left the forequarters bone in and cured up the backstrap too so I can slice that for sandwiches. Talk about incredible. About 3 hours of light smoke then steamed in the oven tented with yellow fizzy water for moisture.
Anyone who simply grinds an entire deer is doing it a disservice.
(and don't have any pictures, but lunch before firing up the smoker was a Jiggs dinner using corned venison neck roast :ban:)

Smoked a bunch of cured venison into pastrami. I left the forequarters bone in and cured up the backstrap too so I can slice that for sandwiches. Talk about incredible. About 3 hours of light smoke then steamed in the oven tented with yellow fizzy water for moisture.
Anyone who simply grinds an entire deer is doing it a disservice.
(and don't have any pictures, but lunch before firing up the smoker was a Jiggs dinner using corned venison neck roast :ban:)

ISo..:D

We like a bit of milk and grated cheddar cheese and white pepper mixed into our scrambled eggs. I whisk it all in a bowl first, then into fry pan. They won't get dry like that.

My mom taught me to use ice water instead of milk. Apparently the milk makes for extra dense eggs. Something about the ice water (and it has to be cold water) is supposed to make for fluffier eggs. And my mom makes great scrambled eggs and omelettes.

I love pork skins...no carbs! Great for when you want crunchy snack, without the carbs. The recipes I've seen for making them involve boiling the crap out of them for a couple hours and the dehydrating them. After that, deep fry and *poof* ...porky, crunchy, airy goodness!

We made some up a couple months ago because the picnic roast we got had the skin on it. All we did was de-skin the roast and smoke it for pulled pork. The skin we cut up into smaller pieces, simmered in a pan to render the fat out of. set on a baking sheet in a hot oven to render off the rest and dry. cooled, patted dry, then brought the lard that we rendered off of it (plus leftover bacon grease because, well bacon grease is awesome) to very hot and dropped them in to do that wonderful thing they do. They were awesome. Some was a little crunchy and not puffy still because we somehow didnt get all the fat to render, but it was still amazing.

Fish tacos (battered with homebrewed English mild), pickled onions, cabbage, cilantro, and avacado crema.

FB_IMG_1454381684161.jpg

Tough/rubbery/dry? That's the only way I can think of to make bad scrambled eggs - overcooking them.

I am not a fan of "wet" scrambled eggs, but I learned early on about carry-over cooking due to my attempts at scrambleds.

:)

I actually prefer my eggs more firm than most...

These were too wet. I was trying to scramble them with diced tomato and green pepper, using bacon grease instead of butter in the pan, and there was too much moisture in the tomatoes.

That, and I had just fried up bacon in that pan, and all the little stuck bits on the pan didn't improve the eggs.

So I had a mass of watery, gray eggs, that never properly set up.

These were too wet. I was trying to scramble them with diced tomato and green pepper, using bacon grease instead of butter in the pan, and there was too much moisture in the tomatoes.

That, and I had just fried up bacon in that pan, and all the little stuck bits on the pan didn't improve the eggs.

I learned to always scramble eggs separately from everything else and then mix it all together once everything is cooked. It's the best way to make sure the eggs are cooked properly. I'm picky about my scrambled eggs. I cook them more like a delicate sauce than eggs, low heat and constant stirring.

Had some frozen salmon that my wife is allergic to, so I mixed up some lemon-caper salmon cakes and pan fried them for sandwiches with some arugula and gourmaise sauce.

Went great with one of my newly carbed Kölsches. No pics, unfortunately.

Yes, I see... eggs have enough to do getting themselves cooked, so yeah, you need to pre-cook any fillings going in before adding them. Mushrooms, peppers, onions, all will give off moisture that messes up the egg's own timing.

But, you got a handle on it - sorry it took that kind of learning experience!

For all the good cooks I've been doing lately, I was just humbled by scrambled eggs... Inedible.

I worked for Shoney's when I was in college and just after...I was a cook, kitchen manager and asst. manager, over the course of about 3-1/2 to 4 years and I worked mornings the last two years. I learned to cook the flocc out of some eggs. Most people cook them at too high a temp. I like my scrambled eggs done, but not dry. I had an older cousin that used to have me make scrambled eggs for him when I was about 10 years old. He literally liked his eggs cooked about halfway. Almost gagged me every time! My favorite eggs are over medium. When done correctly, the whites should be cooked through, with no browning. (Can't STAND uncooked white!) The yolk should be just starting to gel, but loose enough to completely coat the whites when they are cut up. It is so difficult to get this right, for some people, that it is often used in job interviews when chefs are hiring sous chefs. A "simple" egg dish can reveal many flaws!

I learned to always scramble eggs separately from everything else and then mix it all together once everything is cooked. It's the best way to make sure the eggs are cooked properly. I'm picky about my scrambled eggs. I cook them more like a delicate sauce than eggs, low heat and constant stirring.

My wife does that with our cast iron skillets. That does not get a good sear so you get a layer of egg stuck to the bottom of the pan, which in turn kills the seasoning of the pan. I am a big believer in (medium) high heat and searing so it naturally pulls away from the pan. Firm eggs, no mess.

My wife does that with our cast iron skillets. That does not get a good sear so you get a layer of egg stuck to the bottom of the pan, which in turn kills the seasoning of the pan. I am a big believer in (medium) high heat and searing so it naturally pulls away from the pan. Firm eggs, no mess.

I always cook my eggs in a regular skillet with a good helping of butter. You have to constantly stir though, as well as take it off the heat now and then to keep from sticking. They end up with a completely different texture and taste when you cook it that way. Creamier, and perfect for throwing on toast.

I worked for Shoney's when I was in college and just after...I was a cook, kitchen manager and asst. manager, over the course of about 3-1/2 to 4 years and I worked mornings the last two years. I learned to cook the flocc out of some eggs. Most people cook them at too high a temp. I like my scrambled eggs done, but not dry. I had an older cousin that used to have me make scrambled eggs for him when I was about 10 years old. He literally liked his eggs cooked about halfway. Almost gagged me every time! My favorite eggs are over medium. When done correctly, the whites should be cooked through, with no browning. (Can't STAND uncooked white!) The yolk should be just starting to gel, but loose enough to completely coat the whites when they are cut up. It is so difficult to get this right, for some people, that it is often used in job interviews when chefs are hiring sous chefs. A "simple" egg dish can reveal many flaws!

Over medium eggs are my favorite way to eat eggs too! I can't stand having and runny whites. I've cooked most my entire life, and I think I've pretty well perfected cooking eggs. At least to my liking lol one thing I never got is why people have so much trouble making an omelette

I always cook my eggs in a regular skillet with a good helping of butter. You have to constantly stir though, as well as take it off the heat now and then to keep from sticking. They end up with a completely different texture and taste when you cook it that way. Creamier, and perfect for throwing on toast.

I agree. A ****-load of butter and constant stirring over medium to medium-high heat (dependent on your stove) is the way to go!

I agree. A ****-load of butter and constant stirring over medium to medium-high heat (dependent on your stove) is the way to go!

Actually, thinking about it my stove is weird and cooks a lot hotter than most so my low is probably a normal medium. I love how the eggs turn out though. I'm a huge fan of eggs, they're almost always in my fridge.

Actually decided to have an omelette tonight. Spinach, pork and cheese. I broke out the fine china for this meal.

View attachment 1454452662152.jpg

Oh, hah! I guess it's just the spread-out shape and cheese over them. Looked like some kind of filled potato cake almost.

Well I scoop out the potato from the skin, stir it into a beaten egg, milk, cheddar, cream cheese and Parmesan. Add a chopped jalapeño or two, some mustard powder, cayenne and onion powder then pipe the resultant gloop back into the skin and return to the oven to brown off.

Why don't you people just speak english?

You mean like this?

In Flaundres whilom was a compaignye
Of yonge folk, that haunteden folye,
As riot, hasard, stywes, and tavernes,
Wher as with harpes, lutes, and gyternes
They daunce and pleyen at dees, bothe day and nyght,
And eten also and drynken over hir myght,
Thurgh which they doon the devel sacrifise
Withinne that develes temple in cursed wise,
By superfluytee abhomynable.

You mean like this?

In Flaundres whilom was a compaignye
Of yonge folk, that haunteden folye,
As riot, hasard, stywes, and tavernes,
Wher as with harpes, lutes, and gyternes
They daunce and pleyen at dees, bothe day and nyght,
And eten also and drynken over hir myght,
Thurgh which they doon the devel sacrifise
Withinne that develes temple in cursed wise,
By superfluytee abhomynable.

That was by far the most coherent thing you've ever posted to this forum.

I finally feel like I can understand what you're saying.

I crumbled some breakfast sausage in a pan, got it crispy, dumped an egg on top of it, pan-scrambled it, and put the whole mess on top of a leftover pancake with just a touch of syrup.

*burp*

Well I scoop out the potato from the skin, stir it into a beaten egg, milk, cheddar, cream cheese and Parmesan. Add a chopped jalapeño or two, some mustard powder, cayenne and onion powder then pipe the resultant gloop back into the skin and return to the oven to brown off.

If you bake it first and then do the above, we call it "twice-baked" potatoes here.

:)

I crumbled some breakfast sausage in a pan, got it crispy, dumped an egg on top of it, pan-scrambled it, and put the whole mess on top of a leftover pancake with just a touch of syrup.

*burp*

That sounds yummy... Sadly I'm trying to lose weight lol I can't have that stuff. This is why I participate here though, so I can live vicariously through you all.

Back