What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah thanks man....No its plain old beef, pot roast actually. We grill pot roast cut up in steak like slabs quite often actually if the price is down.. It has loads of flavor for the money. Some of the cut can be a bit chewy but some is quite tender. Lately its been almost as high as prime sirloin though so we go there instead. I guess everyone is catching on.

I do the same thing with pork tenderloin... If you have an ALDI near you, they have some great deals on beef and pork usually. Chicken too, I just bought 3lbs of drumsticks for $1.11 there. Last week I bought a 2lb tenderloin for $2.50 on sale. Their meat is usually pretty good too.

Matt that boli looks incredible is that home made pepperoni ?
Actually, it was pre-cooked Italian sausage. I haven't done my own charcuterie yet, but would love to. Just don't have the required space and equipment. (I have made sausage, but this was store bought).

Sounds like a good idea. But am I the only one that is pissed because all store bought meat has water in it? Lol

Browned the chicken in two stages, sweated the onions, sweated the garlic, sweated the red and yellow bell peppers, added the mushrooms and cooked till soft, added Chardonnay and reduced by half, put the chicken, bay leaves, and thyme in, and now everything is in the pot and simmering.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453953064.356034.jpg

Still have not gotten used to it. You can't brown any meat without boiling off the crap the put in it or pre drying it. Only excuse for companies doing it is for profits, without raising the cost per pound. I can't stand it. But I don't have an alternative meat monger. Huff.

Top round roast into the sous vide for tomorrow night's dinner.

20160127_204204-1.jpg

20160127_210055-1.jpg

It's after midnight, I have a buzz, and I am about to make a sausage "egg McMuffin".

Should I take pics? I'll try to remember...

;)

OK, drunken cooking, commence! Time for a home-made sausage "McMuffin":

thumb2_007-66758.jpg

thumb2_010-66759.jpg

thumb2_011-66760.jpg

thumb2_017-66762.jpg

thumb2_018-66763.jpg

First, a toasted English muffin, with lots of butter. Then, fry up the sausage patty (about two regular patties' worth). Then, my version of a poached egg - kept round by a highly-lubed Mason jar lid & ring - it took about 3 minutes to get it to set so the yolk wasn't runny, although I'd have liked it a bit softer. Set that all on top of the toasted English muffin coated with a slice of American cheese (although any cheese you like will do) and then cover with the top of the muffin. Too good!

:)

That egg sandwich looks wonderful. Would you make one for me with a nice runny yolk?

Thank you! Yeah, I was trying for a softer yolk myself, and the technique for cooking the egg in a Mason jar lid was actually for the larger-sized ring, so I had to improv the time a little, and overcooked it. Using a quart-sized ring, they say two minutes. I had a pint-sized ring and thought 3 minutes would work, but it was too much. I'd guess 2-1/2 minutes would be right for that sized ring.

:)

Something really minor, but tonight I was in a scramble to make myself something to eat during the GOP debate. Wife was at gym. I wanted some nachos, but had no peppers, so I went outside and plucked a long green chili off one of the plants I'm growing, sliced it, and it was spicey as HELL. I couldn't even see the thing when I plucked it, I just felt up the plant, found a fruit, and ripped it off.

I'm growing a bunch of vegies, and among them habaneros and chili peppers. If you're like me, you just hope what's hanging there is actually spicey. They are!

Pork Chops on the cast iron hot plate, with Golden Acorn Squash (butter and B sugar) and some cottage cheese. The wife and kid had noodle packet of some kind.

Later I found a Choc Chip cookie recipe and made some to take to work today and to use up some of the many packages of chocolate chips we have.

They turned out crispy, and I wanted Soft and gooey. Back to the drawing board! I should have read the comments on that one before I rushed off to bake them. Even taking them out before they were starting to brown, and they were crispy on the outside and not soft inside.

I'm growing a bunch of vegies, and among them habaneros and chili peppers. If you're like me, you just hope what's hanging there is actually spicey. They are!

Yeah I grow chilis every year and I've grown poblano with the heat of a serrano and jalapeno that are like green peppers, It's very unpredictable. Since you grew up here in NW Ohio you know how unpredictable summers can be and the last several have been wet and cooler than normal which is probably why my chilis have sucked. They probably grow like crazy where you are now.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454115610.812616.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 94
Yeah I grow chilis every year and I've grown poblano with the heat of a serrano and jalapeno that are like green peppers, It's very unpredictable. Since you grew up here in NW Ohio you know how unpredictable summers can be and the last several have been wet and cooler than normal which is probably why my chilis have sucked. They probably grow like crazy where you are now.

Yep, they are doing well now. I don't remember telling you I was a Maumee (Toledo) boy, but yes I was. I might grab another pepper off one of my plants tonight :)

Yeah. I grow a lot of peppers every year. Sometimes they are tame, some times they blow the top,of your head off. If you place a jalapeno plant next to a habanero plant they will cross polinate and you will get very hot jalapenos. Ask me how I know this.

Yep, they are doing well now. I don't remember telling you I was a Maumee (Toledo) boy, but yes I was. I might grab another pepper off one of my plants tonight :)

You don't remember? We attended the same high school(Central Catholic)

Yeah. I grow a lot of peppers every year. Sometimes they are tame, some times they blow the top,of your head off. If you place a jalapeno plant next to a habanero plant they will cross polinate and you will get very hot jalapenos. Ask me how I know this.

Yeah they cross pollinate pretty easily but that requires you to gather seeds and replant the next season and frankly I'm too lazy for that.

Back