What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you do with yucca? Never had it but have been tempted to play, I'll eat anything once:D

I haven't cooked it myself, but love it fried. Had it braised recently with a super garlicky sauce. Delicious.

BGBC pretty much gave my answer. I haven't cooked any myself yet, but I always choose the option over the fries when I get Peruvian chicken or see the option. I love trying new foods, you never know what you may end up with.

Braised with garlicky sauce sounds amazing. Going to have to see what I can find so I can start playing with Yucca myself.

What do you do with yucca? Never had it but have been tempted to play, I'll eat anything once:D

Yuca is a great root.... You can mash it as well, but whatever you do, you need to boil it and discard the first batch of water before you do anything else.

Mmmmmm... Yuca frita or baked, covered in mojo with garlic, butter and cilantro.

Tried to make some vegetarian "meat"balls last night, using tempeh. There obviously was not enough binder and the texture was like a mousse pate'. Rolled in breadcrumbs and fried, they just fell apart. I froze them and tried again with a little better luck, but still very soft. Honestly, they taste like a nice mousse pate' and would be good with some cornichons and toasted baguette, As a meatball substitute...no.

Tried to make some vegetarian "meat"balls last night, using tempeh. There obviously was not enough binder and the texture was like a mousse pate'. Rolled in breadcrumbs and fried, they just fell apart. I froze them and tried again with a little better luck, but still very soft. Honestly, they taste like a nice mousse pate' and would be good with some cornichons and toasted baguette, As a meatball substitute...no.

try ground mushrooms as the base?

How many mice does it take to make this Pate? Seems like a lot of work.

try ground mushrooms as the base?

For some reason, SWMBO isn't liking mushrooms lately. She used to, but not interested now. (I love mushrooms.) Turns out that tempeh tastes kind 'shroomy...at least, this brand does. Seriously, you could use this recipe to make a paste that could replace both the mushroom duxelles and the pate' on a beef wellington...assuming that it wouldn't just melt like butta.

For some reason, SWMBO isn't liking mushrooms lately. She used to, but not interested now. (I love mushrooms.) Turns out that tempeh tastes kind 'shroomy...at least, this brand does. Seriously, you could use this recipe to make a paste that could replace both the mushroom duxelles and the pate' on a beef wellington...assuming that it wouldn't just melt like butta.

can you make a tofu slurry?

Bobs red mill makes a vegan egg replacement that you could use as a binder?

She hasn't gone vegan, so I can use egg...and more bread crumbs than recipe calls for. Also could crumble tempeh, instead of using food processor, for a rougher texture. I could probably try black beans and/or garbanzos, instead of tempeh.

She hasn't gone vegan, so I can use egg...and more bread crumbs than recipe calls for. Also could crumble tempeh, instead of using food processor, for a rougher texture. I could probably try black beans and/or garbanzos, instead of tempeh.

Lentils work well, use less water than usual when you cook them. Also you mentioned garbanzos - falafel is basically vegetarian meatballs just replace the cumin etc with Italian seasonings

I got to use my cousin's immersion cooker for sous vide cooking this week. I took a 10 oz tenderloin fillet and brought it up to 130F in about an hour. We then pan-seared it in a hot pan for about 30 seconds a side x 4. As this cut is somewhat bland, we made a bacon, mushroom, red wine cream sauce to go with it.

Grilled tri-tip (marinated in a mojo marinade) with goat cheese and lemon honey dijon glaze. And a mediterranean orzo.

IMG_20150410_183444.jpg

Damn, we had +15c today and sun. It was a whole day working outside in the yard.

First, I decided to build a stand for my gas burner:

11146232_10153392730852697_1805412643360619556_n.jpg

Then, you know, us OCD people like to do "mis en place":

11146224_10153393408162697_7753171524486516130_n.jpg

SWMBO getting busy at the paella pan:

11140259_10153393408122697_1675773239596540582_n.jpg

And finally, our dinner, before we went to heat up the sauna:

10702099_10153393408192697_2659683161366459313_n.jpg

Damn, we had +15c today and sun. It was a whole day working outside in the yard.

First, I decided to build a stand for my gas burner:

11146232_10153392730852697_1805412643360619556_n.jpg

Then, you know, us OCD people like to do "mis en place":

SWMBO getting busy at the paella pan:

And finally, our dinner, before we went to heat up the sauna

That looks fantastic. I think organized/smart people like to do mis en place especially if the dish has a number of components.

I'm currently making a Sauerbraten (started it a few days ago and will be cooking it at 6am monday morning).

Sauerbraten is usually done with red wine and red wine vinegar. My family's recipe uses malt vinegar and Märzen (My grandmother is from just south of München and uses Oktoberfest beers for just about everything.

In Venezuela, it's called Carne Mechada. In the Caribbean, it's known as Ropa Vieja. The Mexican version goes by the name Carne Deshebrada.

That just looks fantastic! Thanks for the link. I love these long braise recipes and I have had pretty good luck with ATK recipes in the past! :mug:

Should have taken a pic, but I was too hungry to care.

Finished brewing a Red Ale and then cooked up some Sweet Tea Ribs (ribs rubbed with black tea, brown sugar and glazed with a mix of the same with orange juice).

Regarding bananas, we eat a lot around here. Ripe bananas get used in lots of interesting ways. 3 or 4 times a week we make banana milkshakes in the blender, for desert. On weekends, banana pancakes are awesome. And, if you have an ice cream maker, banana ice cream.

Back