What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two real, climbing-grade carabiners. To hold my grain bag (which isn't here yet) on the pulley system (which isn't here yet, either) over my new 40-quart stainless pot (which also isn't here yet).

1614284479145.png

Oxygen regulator so I can use the oxygen cylinder I bought a couple of weeks ago. I'd Tried to go down the changing the stem to an oxygen cylinder stem on my spare CO2 regulator but with my eyeballs nearly popping out the CO2 stem wasn't coming off. So the two brews had to be shaken for oxygenation. Now I'm sorted so can I brew this weekend to test it out?oxygen regulator.jpg

stuff_in_mail.jpg

Carrying handles and spring-loaded latches for the fermentation chamber I'm building; 48 BeerSaver rubber caps to keep the dust and wild yeasts out of my cleaned and sanitized bottles instead of tin foil; and two ball-lock carbonation caps with a few million spare o-rings by the look of it.

Very close to finishing the fermentation chamber. Detailed build documented in DYI fermentation chamber for anyone interested.

So let me get this straight - you clean and sanitize the bottles and then you cap them, ready to be filled whenever? Awesome. What sanitizer do you use?

So let me get this straight - you clean and sanitize the bottles and then you cap them, ready to be filled whenever? Awesome. What sanitizer do you use?
Some clone of StarSan called Acidisan I got from BrewMart. Phosphoric acid-based and with a foaming agent in it.

It's pour beer, wash bottle, rinse with sanitizer, cap with tin foil (and now these things), then stack. When bottling, it's a re-rinse with sanitizer and cap while waiting to bottle. The house is in a dusty environment and bottles left for too long get a sediment layer.

The logic behind the sanitizing after washing out the dregs is to reduce the risk of something growing while in storage. Had a couple of nasty green things before that took nuclear weapons to kill.

You're in Ggeberha, I just saw. That's pretty cool. Would you please link me to those caps?

I used to sanitize with a Mangrova Jack's no-rinse sanitizer, which is more of a cleaner, and did the same with my swingtops. Needless to say a few weeks later those bottles were mouldy as hell on the inside. I've also since switched to an acid-based sanitizer. I cut that with phosphoric acid and dilute it waaaay down and it works wonders.

PS the PE new name thing was a joke, by the way :D

OK, so today, to go with my carabiners, the grain bag and ratcheting pulley with rope and hooks showed up in the mail.

Now all I need is the new pot and I'll be looking for a good all-grain ale recipe to try out the BIAB system.

RO system, 14" SS pizza screen for a DIY false bottom, and a 24" french whip (whisk) since my other one was relegated to mixing hydroponic fertilizer mixes and I didn't want to have to keep cleaning it for brew days.

Lots and lots of malts: Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner , Simpsons Golden Promise, Simpsons Imperial, Barke Vienna and Barke Pilsner, Simpsons DRC and lots of roasted malts, some Verdant yeast, CaCl2, S04, Brewtan B, Lactose. Enough for 10 batches - around 125 KG / 275 lbs of malts. :)

You'll be bottling off the keg every now and then I'm sure.
Referring more to the 6 + hrs of washing, rinsing, sanitizing, transferring, bottling, capping and cleanup. I will not miss that at all. I think I can handle filling of few growlers now and then 🙂

Do you have a part number list for these? I'd like to order the same for my ball-lock kegs.

1. Dip Tube: X-Profile, Oil-Resistant, Buna-N O-Ring, Black, 1 pack of 100, 3/32" Fractional Width, Dash Number 109, 90025K368. $7.78

2. Gas Post: High-Temperature, High-Purity Silicone O-Ring, Red,1 pack of 50, 3/32" Fractional Width, Dash Number 111, 9396K24. $9.09

3. Liquid Post: Oil-Resistant, Buna-N O-Ring, Black, 1 pack of 100, 3/32" Fractional Width, Dash Number 111, 9452K23. $2.78

4. Lid: Oil-Resistant, Buna-N O-Ring, Black, 1 pack of 10, 1/4" Fractional Width, Dash Number 417, 9452K218. $14.23

$33.88 merchandise + $2.37 tax + $6.80 shipping = $43.05 total.

1. Dip Tube: X-Profile, Oil-Resistant, Buna-N O-Ring, Black, 1 pack of 100, 3/32" Fractional Width, Dash Number 109, 90025K368. $7.78

2. Gas Post: High-Temperature, High-Purity Silicone O-Ring, Red,1 pack of 50, 3/32" Fractional Width, Dash Number 111, 9396K24. $9.09

3. Liquid Post: Oil-Resistant, Buna-N O-Ring, Black, 1 pack of 100, 3/32" Fractional Width, Dash Number 111, 9452K23. $2.78

4. Lid: Oil-Resistant, Buna-N O-Ring, Black, 1 pack of 10, 1/4" Fractional Width, Dash Number 417, 9452K218. $14.23

$33.88 merchandise + $2.37 tax + $6.80 shipping = $43.05 total.
Thank you!!

Expecting 2 Jet burners today. Kettles were getting tough to clean (sooty) Replaced one last month and happy with it so doing the other 2.

Appears the only way to get the bark here in New zealand would be to find or grow a tree. The biosecurity police wouldn't let in the bark apparently. I can get powdered bark though, so there is some hope.

Back