What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's slow-burn hitchcockian thriller, where clues are added periodically, making you guess what's going to happen next (and who dunnit). Don't buy til I finish it. Might be tonight. I'll let you know. Just finished kegging.

Probably be a while before I make another Amazon order. Let me know how you like it overall once you finish it. But no spoilers!

Probably be a while before I make another Amazon order. Let me know how you like it overall once you finish it. But no spoilers!

Finished, it's worth the read. It's Girl on A Train type book. VERY flawed characters, and that's all I say about that. The twist I suspected happened, then the twist I TOTALLY didn't expect happened. Wham. Then it was over. One thumb up on the literary scale, but two thumbs for writing like Grisham/Creighton/King when I needed it.

If anyone likes to read before the movie comes out, probably grab this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Patie...86&s=gateway&sprefix=silent+pa,aps,154&sr=8-1

41bsvxNUSdL._SY346_.jpg

"Ghosts of Gold Mountain" by Gordon H Chang.

As a lifelong rail fan, I am well aware of the work Chinese immigrants performed in building the western portion of the transcontinental railroad. It probably wouldn't have been completed without them. But who were they, where were they from, what was their home like, how did they live on the railroad, and any number of other questions? This is the first book to look at this group of people from track level, as it were.

Prepare to learn some really unpleasant history, along with the amazing engineering feats.

"Ghosts of Gold Mountain" by Gordon H Chang.

As a lifelong rail fan, I am well aware of the work Chinese immigrants performed in building the western portion of the transcontinental railroad. It probably wouldn't have been completed without them. But who were they, where were they from, what was their home like, how did they live on the railroad, and any number of other questions? This is the first book to look at this group of people from track level, as it were.

Prepare to learn some really unpleasant history, along with the amazing engineering feats.

Outstanding, thanks ancient. I'd love to read this.

Any other Inspector Morse fans out there in HBT-land? Colin Dexter wrote 13 novels as well as some short stories about Morse and Lewis in the 90s and I only have two or three left to read.

Never read the books, but I surely enjoy the BBC productions. I'll have to check those out.
I watched the BBS Morse episodes as well as Lewis and Endeavour before starting on the books. The books are good but not the easiest to read as Dexter writes with an unusual (to me) style. On top of that some of the plots are convoluted but overall I like them.

Finally got my hands on book three of The Alchemy Wars, The Liberation by Ian Tregillis
Senlin Ascending by Josiah Bancroft freshly downloaded to my kindle as well.

Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu. Just a few chapters in so far. The story's moving a little slow, but looks promising. We'll see.

I assume you found this after reading The Three-Body Problem trilogy? Let me know what you think of this one. I read the trilogy and found it really well done, would love to know if this lives up to that.

Just finished The Chief, the biography of William Randolph Hearst. I really never knew much about him, but my wife and I visited Hearst Castle early this year and she had a copy of it, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Really fascinating read about a really fascinating person. I don't do a lot of biographies, but if you're interested in him at all, highly recommend it.

I assume you found this after reading The Three-Body Problem trilogy? Let me know what you think of this one. I read the trilogy and found it really well done, would love to know if this lives up to that.

Actually I hadn't read any of the Trilogy. They were all checked out at my library, so I grabbed Ball Lightning instead.

Just finished Dan Brown's new thriller Origin (well, it's been out for a while, but I just got to it). He's jumped the shark with this one, sadly. I can't recommend. It was pretty awesome first half, but a letdown through the end.

I have a good one on deck, will post shortly on that.

I’ve always felt let down by Dan Brown endings. I loved Angels & Demons, but the conclusion bothered me (can’t even remember why anymore, great book otherwise). Lost Symbol as well. I devoured the book and was just bummed at the end. Inferno was a disaster from the start, though. I just had Origin in my hands at the library but decided to go a different route. He’s always been a decent fill in when I’m in between my favorite authors or need a break from a genre.

Scott Jurek's "North" right now on the nightstand and "The Alchemist" on Hoopla in the car. Recently finished "What Doesn't Kill Us" by Scott Carney.

I loved Angels & Demons, but the conclusion bothered me (can’t even remember why anymore, great book otherwise).

Well, maybe it was the somewhat unlikely moment when Langdon grabbed a blanket, jumped from an airborn helicopter, and glided to a safe landing (on a church, can't remember). Haha.

I read all of them so far (you forgot digital fortress), and who am I kidding, I'll probably keep reading them. But I'll do so under protest.

Lately:

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell //Very Good, fast paced action novel
Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell
Morgue: A Life in Death by Vincent Di Maio, Ron Franscell
Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
Carrie by Stephen King
We Are Legion: Bobiverse Book 1 by Dennis Taylor

The Standouts:
51y-cj9gfmL._SY346_.jpg

41Bs36jwEwL.jpg

On Deck:
Under the Dome
The Survivalist Series Book 7
Wheel of Time Book 2

Thinking about picking up the Silent Patient, it's been in my wish list for a while. Has anyone read American Gods? How about Catch 22?

Happy reading this summer!

Catch 22 is a classic. I found it humorous and entertaining. It reminded me a bit of various Vonnegut novels, and he’s a favorite of mine.

I thought American gods was outstanding. It was my first Gaiman book, and I ended up reading the rest of his books that the library had on hand afterwards. If my memory serves, that one was extremely hard for me to put down.

Catch 22 is a classic. I found it humorous and entertaining. It reminded me a bit of various Vonnegut novels, and he’s a favorite of mine.

I thought American gods was outstanding. It was my first Gaiman book, and I ended up reading the rest of his books that the library had on hand afterwards. If my memory serves, that one was extremely hard for me to put down.

Reading Catch-22 was like watching an episode of M*A*S*H to me.

Catch-22 is one of my favorite books. Don't hesitate.

I'm thinking of opening up S. It's more or less produced by JJ Abrams. Presumably he had the idea and did a lot of outlining and planning before having someone else (Doug Dorst) actually write it. The idea is that a novel (Ship of Thesus) was written by a fairly mysterious author (ala 2666 by Roberto Bolano), and a college student borrowed it out of the university library and took some notes in it. After returning it, she had to take it out again and found that someone had responded to her notes. The meta-story is notes that these two people pass back and forth over several iterations of checking out the book as they research the author and build a relationship that they presumably only share through the book. It's got a bunch of goodies stuffed inside, like newspaper clippings, notes written on diner napkins, printed out emails, and so on. I have a strong feeling I'm not going to be able to devote enough attention to really get the most out of reading it, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities of it.

Finding a copy of it in Chinese at a local bookstore (I live in China) is what reminded me that I've got it on my shelf and need to give it a run.

Lately:

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell //Very Good, fast paced action novel
Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell
Morgue: A Life in Death by Vincent Di Maio, Ron Franscell
Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
Carrie by Stephen King
We Are Legion: Bobiverse Book 1 by Dennis Taylor

The Standouts:
51y-cj9gfmL._SY346_.jpg

41Bs36jwEwL.jpg

On Deck:
Under the Dome
The Survivalist Series Book 7
Wheel of Time Book 2

Thinking about picking up the Silent Patient, it's been in my wish list for a while. Has anyone read American Gods? How about Catch 22?

Happy reading this summer!

The First Fifteen Lives sounds very interesting, I might have to pick up a copy. Thanks for sharing! You might enjoy The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold; it also deals with time travel/loops, I thought it was a pretty good read.
Regards, GF.

All I know it's that the girl who played the lead in the film version of The Book Thief did an absolutely stellar German accent (not sure which region, though, but that's my lack of familiarity). The story was solid, and I'm sure the book is better than the movie, of course.

Desolation Mountain by William Kent Krueger. I just read the Devil's Bed by him and flew through it. This one has yet to grab me and I'm half way through

Just started Hue 1968. Although I'm only 50 pages into it, good book about VietNam.

Latest posts

Back