Quantcast

What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
Reaction score
My most frightening worry about reading other authors is infringing on their material. I would be floored with stealing another persons work.
It''s not logical but it is who I am.

3 Dawg Night

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just started reading through the Aubrey-Maturin series again. I started and made it about 20% of the way through the 21-book series a couple of years ago, then set it down when I started grad school. It was a long enough break that I felt like I needed to start back at the beginning, but they're just as enjoyable the second time around!

220px-Master_&_Commander_cover_by_Geoff_Hunt.jpg

estricklin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just started reading through the Aubrey-Maturin series again. I started and made it about 20% of the way through the 21-book series a couple of years ago, then set it down when I started grad school. It was a long enough break that I felt like I needed to start back at the beginning, but they're just as enjoyable the second time around!

View attachment 704473
I finished Mater and Commander a couple months back, great book but I haven't talked myself into the entire series yet.

Some honorable mentions I've read lately:

John Dies at the End (has a Hitch Hiker's Guide feel to it)
The Actor's Life by Jenna Fischer (Pam from The Office)
The Hunger Games Prequel
The Institute by Stephen King

This book was amazing for me, I didn't want it to end.

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
In addition to some cruising sailboat literature, I've been reading histories of the American Auto industry.
CK Hyde wrote excellent books on Chrysler (Riding the Roller Coaster) and Dodge Brothers. These guys and others were smart, tough and innovative.

bleme

Reaction score
I started reading Aragon, and the main character seemed familiar but I didn't recognize any of the 'scenery'. I wondered if I read it in the 90's and just forgot it, or maybe I read some FanFiction derived from it. Finally I googled it and saw that they made a movie from it and it all clicked! It wasn't a great movie, and obviously not very memorable. The book isn't much better. It's pretty derivative (mash together Star Wars and The Dragon Riders of Pern) and feels more like a D&D Dungeon Master quest.

corkybstewart

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Loudon is about15 miles from our house in France-there's a really great Belgian microbrewerry just outside of Loudun now. I have heard about the "Witches of Loudun" ever since I got married 40 years ago, but none of my inlaws really knew the story so this book has explained it for me. Cardinal Richelieu's walled town(now called Richelieu) is also right there, we got to their town market on Fridays for seafood and cheese.

kenmcchord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Anarchist's Workbench by Christopher Schwarz.

If you dig through this page you'll see that Chris has offered this book up as a free PDF. I'm a woodworker and love building, planning a bench build to act as my base for an electric brewing I'm putting together. Chris has a few books on workbenches, always very detailed and informative.
The Anarchist's Workbench

edit: my cat walked on my keyboard...spelling

topazann

Reaction score
God Help the Child by Toni Morrison - I liked The Bluest Eye by Morrison, so I'm checking out some of her other works.
The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier - I am slowly working my way through du Maurier's works. I've read most of the more well-known ones and really enjoyed them.

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The Anarchist's Workbench by Christopher Schwarz.

If you dig through this page you'll see that Chris has offered this book up as a free PDF. I'm a woodworker and love building, planning a bench build to act as my base for an electric brewing I'm putting together. Chris has a few books on workbenches, always very detailed and informative.
The Anarchist's Workbench

edit: my cat walked on my keyboard...spelling
Sounds like an interesting book for us woodworkers. I click the link to discover " We have run out of stock for this item. " Possible to post the link to the pdf?

bleme

Reaction score
I spent a couple hours skimming through it and really like his writing style - humorous but loaded with information!

kenmcchord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a couple hours skimming through it and really like his writing style - humorous but loaded with information!
Chris has an excellent writing style, and he is very committed to the subject matter as well. There are a few other books in his "anarchist trilogy", all follow the same overall pattern/writing style. Glad you enjoyed it.