What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Murrayatuptown

Reaction score
High school analysis of fiction ruined fiction for me.

All non-fiction now.

Beer books:
Emma Christenson - Brew Better Beer
Charlie Papazian CJOH, not sure which ed.

Guitar amp books-
Kuehnel, Neumann, Neumann/Irving, Blencowe. Some older 'proper' textbooks in the 'stacks' (boxes).

Luthiery:
Left-Brained Luthiery

Reaction score
Half way through this:

1612520476922.png

I have a liking for horrors and thrillers, this is sort of a folk horror.

So far it's ok although the writing style is slightly off putting.

I'm gonna stick with it as I have a feeling it's going to ramp up the weird soon lol

Reaction score
Just finished two books. HATED one and enjoyed the other. Although I enjoy reading mysteries by David Baldacci, his book Hour Game was far fetched, interminably long, and ridiculously misogynistic. Hated it. Then I read a book by Archer Mayor featuring a detective he created named Joe Gunther. The book was called Borderline. Good read. Fast read. I'll read Mayor again.

Last edited:

Senza

Kristjan
Reaction score
Just finished two books. HATED one hand enjoyed the other. Although I enjoy reading mysteries by David Baldacci, his book Hour Game was far fetched, interminably long, hand ridiculously misogynistic. Hated it. Then I read a book by Archer Mayor featuring a detective he created named Joe Gunther. The book was called Borderline. Good read. Fast read. I'll read Mayor again.
I love Baldacci's writing, but I have to admit, Hour game was really rather dull and not worth the read.

OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
This one is a SERIOUS page turner. Can't wait to pick it up every night. It very much reminds me of The Girl on a Train meets Rear Window. Not done with it yet, but I'll recommend it so far. The writing is very good, love the way this guy writes. These thrillers are often based on continuous plot movement and not so much on literary skill. This one differs in that respect.

Amazon.com: The Woman in the Window: A Novel eBook: Finn, A. J.: Kindle Store

1621119522185.png

Reaction score
On occasion I will pop into Olllies- a discount store with a book section- last time I found a hard back copy of Testimony by Scott Turow. Pretty good. It was worth the $4.

DBhomebrew

Reaction score
I’m on the eighth book in the Bernard Cornwell Last Kingdom series. Very well written.
I'm a big fan of Cornwell. Uhtred's up there with Sharpe as far as interesting characters. His Arthur trilogy is excellent.

I've just read the four books in his incomplete American Civil War series, main character Starbuck. The last book ends at Antietam in 1862, doubt he'll ever get to the end of the war in '65.

brewswithshoes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This one is a SERIOUS page turner. Can't wait to pick it up every night. It very much reminds me of The Girl on a Train meets Rear Window. Not done with it yet, but I'll recommend it so far. The writing is very good, love the way this guy writes. These thrillers are often based on continuous plot movement and not so much on literary skill. This one differs in that respect.

Amazon.com: The Woman in the Window: A Novel eBook: Finn, A. J.: Kindle Store

View attachment 729179
Read this one awhile back and really enjoyed. Actually just watched the Netflix version of it last night. good movie, but like just about all book adaptions it barely scratches the surface of the read.

Enjoy it!!

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Cornwell. Uhtred's up there with Sharpe as far as interesting characters. His Arthur trilogy is excellent.

I've just read the four books in his incomplete American Civil War series, main character Starbuck. The last book ends at Antietam in 1862, doubt he'll ever get to the end of the war in '65.
My dad was a big fan of the Sharpe series but I never gave it a try. That last kingdom series sounds more into my interest though. I jotted it down for the next trip to the library

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
Ís ok snœrs ok miðnótts boði landi frá komum
I recently re-read Silmarillion to recap before the tv show comes out, hopefully they are done like the lotr movies and not The Hobbit-like hollywood action adventure trash.
Now I am reading "A history of warfare" by John Keegan. Pretty interresting actually describing how we went from tribes hurling rocks and insults at eachother in highly ritualised forms of battle to the modern industrialised concept of absolute or total war.

OP
passedpawn
Reaction score
My shame at not reading The Martian. I cannot begin. But to remedy, I'm ripping through the following. Frankly, the writing style is not great, but after a while plot takes over. Andy Weir will never end up on the literature shelves, but nevertheless it's a page turner. Will check back in when done.

1623028802996.png

Latest posts