What are you listening to (music!!!) right now? Embarrassing or not... share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Props to you for your dedication to the guitar. I tried guitar lessons when I was younger but they didn't "take." :(

The song "Do it Again," released in 1972 when I was a young teen, has been a long time favorite of mine.

The following link is to a fascinating deconstruction of the song. You can hear isolated tracks of just the guitar, just the bass, the vocals, keys, etc. You have to largely ignore the banter between tracks, some of it interesting, but much of it annoying. If you enjoy this one poke around on the site, there's a bunch of other songs they breakdown. Enjoy.

https://podfanatic.com/podcast/christian-hand-song-breakdowns/episode/steely-dan-do-it-again

Thanks for the lead, I'll check into it.

I've never had any formal lessons, learned to play by ear mostly. I used to be able to hear a song once and have most of it figured out before the end and play it, but I only play rhythm (very little lead. I've also been in several bands in my 20s.

My brother nailed it best when he said my playing is my "therapy". I'm mostly playing a 12 string these days, but I have several Strats and a 1976 Fender Telecaster Deluxe that I purchased in 1976, 5-6 amplifiers (2 Line 6 Vettas) and a suitcase full of effects pedals.

EDIT: I just got done listening to that podcast. It was interesting. Those guys were off by a verse and chorus (the verse/chorus is played through 4 times total with the 3rd time being the solos). They also mentioned the sitar solo, but the video I linked definitely has him playing it on the guitar. Not a big deal.

I only added those comments because I analyze (dissect) songs myself. It helps in learning the nuances. It's like with some songs (like Hotel California) you don't have to play it note for note just as long as you hit the notes that stand out and people know/expect to hear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the lead, I'll check into it.

I've never had any formal lessons, learned to play by ear mostly. I used to be able to hear a song once and have most of it figured out before the end and play it, but I only play rhythm (very little lead. I've also been in several bands in my 20s.

My brother nailed it best when he said my playing is my "therapy". I'm mostly playing a 12 string these days, but I have several Strats and a 1976 Fender Telecaster Deluxe that I purchased in 1976, 5-6 amplifiers (2 Line 6 Vettas) and a suitcase full of effects pedals.

EDIT: I just got done listening to that podcast. It was interesting. Those guys were off by a verse and chorus (the verse/chorus is played through 4 times total with the 3rd time being the solos). They also mentioned the sitar solo, but the video I linked definitely has him playing it on the guitar. Not a big deal.

I only added those comments because I analyze (dissect) songs myself. It helps in learning the nuances. It's like with some songs (like Hotel California) you don't have to play it note for note just as long as you hit the notes that stand out and people know/expect to hear.

You’re referencing the “play guitar .... just well enough to get laid” style of guitar.

I'm stuck in a revolving cycle of 90s and 00s punk/pop punk/grunge, late 80s metal, and current singer/singer songwriter folk with the odd metal cover of 80s songs in there.

Leo Marichioli (? Spelling) is freaking great! Has tons of cover songs, mostly metal versions...

IMG_6833.JPG

Last few nights, it has been the following on a loop.

The Christmas Can-Can
Mr. Grinch
The Twelve Pains of Christmas

I have an animated light display in my front yard, and my desktop is the control/music source for it, so when they are running, that's the audio on it. I keep the speakers up just a tad to make sure whatever I'm working on isn't making noise and screwing with the music that I have feeding to an FM transmitter.

I'm now convinced that The Grinch is a good guy, and the Whos are just a-holes, because the song is nothing other than them ripping on him and taunting him. No wonder he hates them and Christmas.

Sometimes I get bored with music altogether and listen to old time radio shows. I dont have a source to listen to a broad selection, but spotify has "My Friend Irma" from the late 40's. A comedy based on a couple of young women trying to scratch out an existence as roommates against a backdrop of Manhattan's working class poor of the era, I find it a pleasant distraction from the office politics. "Hello, Joe? Got a problem...", shiftless neer-do-well Al cracks me up!

I started listening to Pandora Radio on my Roku a few years ago. I'd all but given up on "new" artists. I was listening to a Jazz/Blues station & discovered some artists I might never have found elsewhere. Joe Bonamassa , Beth Hart, K T Tunstall & others. While they're not new they are to me.

Back