What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A take home from Stone Napa yesterday.
IMG_0589.JPG

Haven't see this one on my side of the state (Detroit area) yet. Saw an interesting sour at Trader Joe's today (not a New Holland). I've never had a sour but am now finally tempted.
Edit: Just noticed the action shot. Very good.

I pulled this from the cellar. Bottled December of 2016. Great beer as always, might be a bit much to wholly appreciate as a first tho! Very complex beer with lots of fruit, malt and pucker. Not sure the release schedule on these but I don’t see it often

I pulled this from the cellar. Bottled December of 2016. Great beer as always, might be a bit much to wholly appreciate as a first tho! Very complex beer with lots of fruit, malt and pucker. Not sure the release schedule on these but I don’t see it often
I appreciate the intelligent and straight-forward response. Some styles, I've found, can be puzzling or overwhelming without context. Any recommendations on a "starter" sour beer? I've seen much back and forth on the subject of sours and the "how to." Not much interest, as I said, until today when I was browsing at Trader Joe's.
I've been all about Tripels or other strong styles lately--very easy beers to make with a high reward.
Thanks.

I appreciate the intelligent and straight-forward response. Some styles, I've found, can be puzzling or overwhelming without context. Any recommendations on a "starter" sour beer? I've seen much back and forth on the subject of sours and the "how to." Not much interest, as I said, until today when I was browsing at Trader Joe's.
I've been all about Tripels or other strong styles lately--very easy beers to make with a high reward.
Thanks.

Rosetta from Ommegang is a great starter on funk.

New Belgium la folie is as well, which may be easier to find near you.

Thanks.
My recommendation is to find an outlet that sells singles and just grab a random pack of 12. Total Wine or Specs here in town does that. It may seem costly but better to throw away 1 then a 6pk. You really need to try at least 1/2 a bottle. There's always an initial reaction. Get past that to analyze the actual essence. My $.02.

Thanks.

If you enjoy tripels and are interested in sours, look out for Duchesse De Bourgogne. It's an exceptional beer. It's more of a sour/belgian blended red ale aged in oak casks. My absolute favorite.

If you enjoy tripels and are interested in sours, look out for Duchesse De Bourgogne. It's an exceptional beer. It's more of a sour/belgian blended red ale aged in oak casks. My absolute favorite.
I do, I do, I do! Just had La Fin Du Monde and a Final Absolution yesterday. Like I was saying, I came across a sour at Trader Joe's. I wish I could remember the name so I could get a recommendation on it here. There's a great beer store nearby, carries too many kinds to count. I'm going to check there to see if they have what was suggested so far.
Thank you.

I do, I do, I do! Just had La Fin Du Monde and a Final Absolution yesterday. Like I was saying, I came across a sour at Trader Joe's. I wish I could remember the name so I could get a recommendation on it here. There's a great beer store nearby, carries too many kinds to count. I'm going to check there to see if they have what was suggested so far.
Thank you.

I frequently shop at Trader Joes and usually pick up their sours. Not too long ago I had their grapefruit sour and it was great. I've never really been disappointed by any of them so far.

Typically I marinate it add a little rub when I throw it on the smoker. Then don't touch it for like 12 hours. Either way you do it it'll taste great.
Something new to try. We kinda fell on love with mustard rub then Tony's Creole dry rub. That's what I'm doing here. 4hrs in. Got thirsty, thanks @RevKev!
20180915_085544.jpeg

Thanks.

A bier de garde is generally a decent start, light beer but differing levels of funk but not overly complex. Also if you like pucker, gose styles are good too!

Also other great suggestions!!

Spaten
IMG_0376.JPG

Back