What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get that part haha but why recommend it for beer? Ive never seen it done before.

Cant argue there!! :mug:

A moist cork is going to expand and seal accurately, and if stood up rather than laid down, eventually it will dry and shrink, allowing air flow and soon causing that cardboard flavor that we get from oxidization. I could be wrong on this, but I remember reading this somewhere.

That looks delicious and pretty.

So we lay the bottles down if they have corks?

I used to own a sailboat. I miss it like mad. Then again, I miss docking my boat at Dana Point Yacht Club as well.

@mcbaumannerb , your job is to provide water to people? That is kind of rad.

Water. Wondering how much more clear I can write, "please do not send me redline versions of document as final copies." It seems to not really sink in.

Nothing so noble. I write software that helps operations route our trucks to get water delivered to people. Bottled water, so not like we're providing drinking water to those without, it is just a luxury for folks (that pays my bills!)

A moist cork is going to expand and seal accurately, and if stood up rather than laid down, eventually it will dry and shrink, allowing air flow and soon causing that cardboard flavor that we get from oxidization. I could be wrong on this, but I remember reading this somewhere.

Woah man.. how about a NSFW tag, geez :cross:

Done with the coffee, four might have been one too many. I'll just dream about something hoppy before I get some water.

Nothing so noble. I write software that helps operations route our trucks to get water delivered to people. Bottled water, so not like we're providing drinking water to those without, it is just a luxury for folks (that pays my bills!)

Oh lol. I was thinking third world countries or whatever. Hey man, it pays the bills...I'm pro-paycheck.

Drinking Caliente BMC **A light breakfast beer**

SRM 3.18
IBU 29.56
OG 1.070
ABV 6.5% (approx)

2.5 gal recipe

3.5 lb 2 row
2.5 lb cooked rice

1/2 oz Northern Brewer 30 min
1 oz Caliente 2 min

Not a bad BMC experiment.......... the next BMC will have Ahtanum.

H.W.

I used to own a sailboat. I miss it like mad. Then again, I miss docking my boat at Dana Point Yacht Club as well.

Dana Point is beautiful. Went there a few years back and took the trip to Catalina. Not sure if I would want to live there, but nice vaca spot :mug:

That's the argument for wine (and for beer), but playing devil's advocate, beer is also carbonated, and the positive pressure helps provide a seal on the cork.

Here's a brief reference to one study saying that champagne can be stored equally well standing up vs laying down, for that reason:
Some silly wine study

That's the argument for wine (and for beer), but playing devil's advocate, beer is also carbonated, and the positive pressure helps provide a seal on the cork.

Here's a brief reference to one study saying that champagne can be stored equally well standing up vs laying down, for that reason:
Some silly wine study

That's an excellent point! I shall like this post ;)

I'm leery about storing corked beers on their side since most are bottle conditioned. I don't want the yeast to settle out in the mouth of the bottle or on the cork.

More water while I wait for anyone on my team to respond to multiple inquiries I've sent this morning. What the flocc is going on in the office today?! :cross:

Water.

Hey, this place is as good as any for this question, I assume.

I've got picnic taps while I decide to either drill out my fridge (could run 3 taps) or get a bigger keezer going.

So... do you disconnect the picnic tap every time you aren't using it? I've heard horror stories of those things falling or leaking beer everywhere, but I thought if I could hang them from the handle on the tap, it might not be an issue.

Water.

Hey, this place is as good as any for this question, I assume.

I've got picnic taps while I decide to either drill out my fridge (could run 3 taps) or get a bigger keezer going.

So... do you disconnect the picnic tap every time you aren't using it? I've heard horror stories of those things falling or leaking beer everywhere, but I thought if I could hang them from the handle on the tap, it might not be an issue.

I'm offended by your off topic post, but I'll say this anyway...

Mine only leaked because of a faulty connection, not because of the handle being finicky. If I had known then what I do now, I would've just removed the post and screwed it back in. Otherwise, attaching the tap for each pour was just a brief fix. The last time I kegged with it, there was no leaking issue at all. New o-rings that cost under a dollar total, lube, and getting them screwed in properly was all it took.

Don't be skeered man just DRINK IT!!! We are all waiting to hear how it is :)

Coffee since I'm at the office, but I had my Founder's Big Lushious last night bottling with my brother, and it was not up to my expectations.

We bottled 16 gallons - 5 of a SMASH Pale Ale, 5 of Irish Red, 5 of Nut Brown, and 1 of a Blackberry Melomel.

We were both disappointed with the cloying sweetness of the Big Lushious, and soon moved on to some Sierra Nevada Celebration and Short's Soft Parade.

I'm offended by your off topic post, but I'll say this anyway...

Mine only leaked because of a faulty connection, not because of the handle being finicky. If I had known then what I do now, I would've just removed the post and screwed it back in. Otherwise, attaching the tap for each pour was just a brief fix. The last time I kegged with it, there was no leaking issue at all. New o-rings that cost under a dollar total, lube, and getting them screwed in properly was all it took.

Don't be skeered man just DRINK IT!!! We are all waiting to hear how it is :)

Well, it offends me that you find this offensive. So... leave the picnic tap on the whole time is what I'm hearing from the guy who lost a bunch of beer to a picnic tap?

Done deal.

:ban:

Quaffi along with this:

IMG_20150225_105745080.jpg

Did you shove a beechwood sliver in there and age appropriately before you drank that? :confused:

Pfft no, what do I look like? A peasant? I used an old piece of Tigerwood flooring, smoked over a day old campfire. Then it was aged in my attic at subzero temperatures for six months. Hence the need for a crazy-straw.

Boring old water now though.

Halp! Ok... first things first, I made an amazing beer for my first AG attempt. Tastes like I almost cloned Fresh Squeezed with wheat.

Now that that's out of the way, I've got the pressure set to 11... and it just dribbled out. Took a good 3 mins to get what you see here. As soon as I would open the tap, it would spurt out, then slow to a crawl. I'm using ~3.5 ft of line and a picnic tap.

Any ideas what I need to do to fix this?

0225051208.jpg

Cherry pepsi with a splash (Ok, maybe two shots) of Jack. At work.
Yea, I'm completely checked out. Saturday won't get here fast enough. Anybody have anything fun for me to google and read up on and waste away the day?

I'm guessing 'the tap room'

For us this just came out of nowhere. I never saw the reason for that comment. I pretty much read everything on here and i did not see any of what homercidal said. Regulars here I can never see doing that and it could come off rough but its never meant to be. We are adults here and do not need to be over moderated or our hands held. Just drink and be merry! :ban:

Coffee and water. Dentist app today :(

There were complaints about some overly nasty comments. I get some smack talk is ok, and good natured, but if someone reports personal attacks, that is not ok. My comment was to be a reminder that this is in the open forum, and not a private 'smack talk' thread, but it didn't come across that way and I'm sorry about that. It was just a gentle reminder that we're all friends here, and we're here to talk about beer and share and not be aggressive and over the line. for the most part, everyone is usually really good about that but there were some reported posts that did show that not everyone was pleased with some of the nastiness. That's all, and it is not a problem.
Halp! Ok... first things first, I made an amazing beer for my first AG attempt. Tastes like I almost cloned Fresh Squeezed with wheat.

Now that that's out of the way, I've got the pressure set to 11... and it just dribbled out. Took a good 3 mins to get what you see here. As soon as I would open the tap, it would spurt out, then slow to a crawl. I'm using ~3.5 ft of line and a picnic tap.

Any ideas what I need to do to fix this?

View attachment 259190

It sounds like your diptube, or post/poppit, or disconnect is clogged with hops debris.

The first thing is to take off the line and picnic tap and inspect that. If you have a different set up, stick it on to see if the beer flows. If not, depressurize the keg and remove the post. Then, pull out the diptube and hold it up to the light and 'eyeball' through it. If it's clogged, clean it out and replace. Look in the post to see if hops debris is clogging the poppit. Clean it out and put it back on. If it's still clogged, take apart the black quick disconnect with a flat head screwdriver and clean that out (but that usually doesn't clog). You should be all set then, so add the pressure and pour. Let us know if that works.

Latest posts

Back