What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visited a lot of breweries on vacation. Resisted buying any glasses until the final leg home. Such a good brewery and Italian pilsner on draft, had to get the glass. I get home and find the limited release at the country store

PXL_20231018_233432129.jpg

I talked with this guy before leaving Hill Farmstead and starting his own brewery. The amaro neat is very sumac. Throwing it in the pilsner it gets herbal and more rose petals. Nice aperitif. Shockingly this is shipping free to Massachusetts and I believe everyone else. He's might white whale. Very interesting ingredients in his brews. Have yet to try one
PXL_20231018_234345190.MP.jpg
PXL_20231018_234357004.MP.jpg

Two 7+% WCIPAs while I begin the two day process of making Carnitas. Probably should have shot the cans, but I was busy rubbing and smoking my meat. After this, the butt goes into a roasting pan with wine, cactus juice, onions, garlic, herbs and spices; overnight in a 170F oven. Chill for a day, scrape off the fat cap, and reheat. There will be TACOS!

IMG_4865.JPG

A mild, on the left, that I kegged on Monday and its sister ale, a Northern brown, that I kegged on Friday. Both are new recipes. The mild needs some work—may need to bust out the Sinamar. The brown is nice enough.
BCDF7C33-BD45-4650-B9CA-984C70DF942A.jpeg

Sorry about the dirty glass. It’s normally used as a water glass, so I don’t keep it beer clean.

Last edited:
Peach wheat ale. Nice peach aroma and flavor, not too much. Tasty.
View attachment 831909
I always smile whenever I see a peach of strawberry beer. Back in the olden days of yore it was common knowledge that mild, sweet fruits like peach and strawberry were completely unsuitable for brewing because they simply refused to show up in the finished beer.

It blows me away that brewers have cracked that code. We've come so, so far!

Well, tis the Beer Season, so I bring hither the latest annual Oktoberfest beverage, Sierra Nevada’s Festbier. Actually, the great thing about Sierra Nevada is that each year, they partner with a different German Brewery to develop a new Oktoberfest offering. So, If you like this, take notes, it will be different next year. This year’s partner brewery is Kehrwieder Kreativbrauerei out of Hamburg, Germany. I’d prefer a Munich or Bavarian brewery for this exercise, but glad to have them either way.

This year’s collaboration Festbier is a beautiful orange color, ¼” head, minimal lacing. This 6.0 ABV chugger is a touch sweet on the front end like a Kolsch, in fact the entire presentation is a little fruitier to me than other Festbier lagers that you might encounter, Paulaner being the benchmark to compare against. Perfectly gluggable, this is a great interpretation on the style, but not a copy. Maybe a touch more Munich or higher temp mash used. Not sure.

Sadly, to get to that glugging point you need nearly 3 of these babyish, thumb-sucking, wimpified, 3-gulp 12 ounce cans to fill your Oktoberfest Bierkrug! Lächerlich !!! Bring on the big cans! Great beer. Buy at least 3!

IMG_5500.jpeg

A second pint of mild, in a better vessel with more complementary lighting. It’s a 1.038 beer that wears husky boy pants. It would benefit from half as much 50/60 and amber. Four ounces of each is plenty.

I’ll try some additional gas and see what that does, it might sharpen it up a bit.
80E565A1-B126-414A-A42B-2E608B0FECCD.jpeg

Now I can play catch up - here's what I've had since getting in town :)

@ TJoe's (lunch one)
PXL_20231018_180129638.PORTRAIT.jpg

@ TJoe's (lunch two - except this time they made me toss the beer, lol...something about open containers
PXL_20231019_184658353.jpg

Some pumpkin trash @ Alien Brewpub or whatever they call themselves - top 3 worst bartenders that I've come across
PXL_20231019_013329759.jpg

And this in-room beer
PXL_20231018_224127000.jpg

And we just got back from a trip to Oaxaca...

mole tamal - so good
PXL_20231002_222253722.jpg

Some "fancy" overpriced restaurant (and beer)
PXL_20230930_001153714.jpg

A few six-packs of these on the beach
PXL_20231007_175714471.jpg

Atoles at the atole-eria
PXL_20231003_202445731.jpg

Oaxaca Brewing Company (tried everything non-hoppy)
PXL_20231003_021834772.jpg

Located on top of the Atole-eria is a cocktail bar (and they have food, I think). Lots of different presentations of mezcal cocktails.
PXL_20231002_192946177.jpg

Aqua de tuna but more importantly, that is one of the top 3 meals I had
PXL_20231001_160047035.jpg

During a food tour we had some of whatever this was - some of us had more than one
PXL_20230930_193957273.jpg

Potato tacos waiting to fry, carnitas finishing in the oven; it’s a really good Thursday.
View attachment 831952

Potato tacos...I had to look them up. I need to get out more. Now I want to make some!

Do you just fill tortillas with mashed potatoes, etc., fold them up and fry in a pan? Looks like pierogies in a flour tortilla. :)

Potato tacos...I had to look them up. I need to get out more. Now I want to make some!

Do you just fill tortillas with mashed potatoes, etc., fold them up and fry in a pan? Looks like pierogies in a flour tortilla. :)

I am sure if you ask 10 different people you would get 10 different recipes, but I wouldn't just do mashed potatoes. Here's a Mexican recipe - For us, we start by peeling the potatoes, boiling them, then mashing them. We don't add dairy. Instead we add a tomato sauce puree (not pasta tomato sauce, a mexican one) along with some of this chicken bullion magic power stuff that we use on practically everything. I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's a good starting point. It's also good to fold it in and fry it in the tortilla.

I am sure if you ask 10 different people you would get 10 different recipes, but I wouldn't just do mashed potatoes. Here's a Mexican recipe - For us, we start by peeling the potatoes, boiling them, then mashing them. We don't add dairy. Instead we add a tomato sauce puree (not pasta tomato sauce, a mexican one) along with some of this chicken bullion magic power stuff that we use on practically everything. I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's a good starting point. It's also good to fold it in and fry it in the tortilla.

Thanks! I like your recipe with Mexican tomato puree and chicken bouillon. That would add some umami to the potatoes. We have Better Than Bouillon paste--much more flavorful than cubes.

Did you use soft corn tortillas? And just pan fry them?

/sorry for the threadjack

Back