What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.

IMG_0977.jpeg

Thanks, for the advice! I’m sure 88 to 87 though a little longer would be better than what the GPS has us doing coming up. At least the scenery was nice.
View attachment 832041View attachment 832042
One more beer with dinner at a Polish club in Utica #3 starts with a Z! 😁
If you like Mexican food on the way back down you should stop at my in-laws restaurant in saugerties, exit 20 on 87, El Rancho.

IMG_2595.jpeg
IMG_2596.png
Couldn’t pass up a 16oz crowler of this for $5 today. Canned last night b/c the keg kicked. Glad I opened it today b/c there was a little bit of head space in the can. So it would have been oxidized had I sat on it like I normally do with barleywines.
The description on Untappd seems spot on.

If you like Mexican food on the way back down you should stop at my in-laws restaurant in saugerties, exit 20 on 87, El Rancho.
Thank you! I was on the road already and full of waffles from my hotel breakfast ☹️. Will need to check it out the next time. Cooperstown is a little bit of a pain to get too, but worth the trip. I think more services areas are closed than open on 87. Our tax dollars at work, I guess, but idiotic planning.

Thank you! I was on the road already and full of waffles from my hotel breakfast ☹️. Will need to check it out the next time. Cooperstown is a little bit of a pain to get too, but worth the trip. I think more services areas are closed than open on 87. Our tax dollars at work, I guess, but idiotic planning.
You’re out of nyc right?

OK, I admit it, Oktober, er October is my favorite month of the year. So many great beers hit the shelves. Thought I’d do a redux of yesterday’s fun by blowing the dust off my 19th century Spaten Maßkrug and filling it with delicious Spaten Märzen. Actually this is Ur-Märzen, which means the really good stuff!

We’ve talked before about Gabriel Sedlmayr and his bringing lighter clean tasting malts into Germany. Spaten is one of the original brew houses in Munich, going all the way back to 1397. I can see many of my ancestors, winter months sitting around in their rickety hovels with dirt floors, the animals sleeping nearby, warming up to a copper bucket-full of Spaten by the log firepit. Shower? What shower? Ah, those were the days.

Spaten Oktoberfest is a clean 5.9% ABV lager, tasting a bit more like a Festbier to me than a heavy Märzenbier. Easy to drink, yet darker than the other Festbiers out there, so we’ll stick with the Märzen moniker. Shipping UV-transparent green bottles to me is always a risk, but they seemed to have dodged the bullet here, maybe the darker color and low hopping levels and quick turn-around are buying them a few more months protection. The last Spaten I had was a skunker. These ones are OK.

The Spaten-Brau (Spade Beer), Spade logo has GS initials on it for Gabriel Sedlmayr. It still takes 3 of the babyflaschen to slake my thirst, but at lease these ones come to you in a 12 ounce size rather than the even wimpier 11.2’s. Great Beer… Prost!

IMG_5523.jpeg
IMG_5524.jpeg

Last edited:
You know, three beers just isn’t enough beer. I’ve heard many beer-drinking friends make that comment – NOT ENOUGH BEER! What is it about this beverage that makes you string one beer into two into three…. into ten, into Twelve! Dude, MORE BEER!

Actually that is Cali-speak, my apologies. Well, since we are talking California, let’s take a trip from Munich to the other beer capital of the world, San Diego, California! Societe Brewing, established 2012 brewed up this nifty Festbier. Their product is Fest Bier Oktoberfest Lager. Coming in at a modest 4.6% ABV, this beer is a bit lighter that some of you malt-hounds might prefer, but hey, I’m an Equal Opportunity reviewer. Make up your own mind.

A good beer, but like many other American adaptations, this is not the beer you would be chugging on the Wiesn. I think many brewers aiming at the American market have a tendency to make beers more IPA-ish. This one seems to me a bit fruity and a bit hoppy as compared to European Festbiers. Not a bad beer, just pushing that style envelope a bit. Not bad, give it a try. More beer please!

IMG_5525.jpeg

Last edited:
How was the fresh hopped pils? Their youtube video made me want to make a whole cone strata pilsner if yvh ever releases their 2023 crop.

Treat while making dinner
Their wet hops pils are really good. It was interesting as their website is kinda off. I was going to get the idaho. I used the kiosk and saw the strata pop up and wasn't on the website. Saw it was highly rated not disappointed. My favorite so far has been the cascade. All their wh's are not what you usually know. I've always liked cascade but the wet hopped version was very candied. The pilsner is not on the dry side because of the over sweet hops but in a good way. In a way I'm a traditionalist and like the noble hops so it's interesting . I have yet to try their Super but now I'll keep it on the watch list. Plus the 6 packs are usually under $20

Last edited:
Back