What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7CCFE48C-A8E8-42B9-AC9A-E3970D7500B7.jpeg

I travel pretty frequently for work, and for the next couple days I’ll be in Houston. I had to have some Saint Arnold (Art Car in this particular pint) because St. Arnold (see avatar) was my confirmation saint (seriously, lol).

Any other Houston Beer recommendations? I might try to actually explore the city a bit tomorrow after work.

Cheers!

While the OBX is obviously much more well known for its beaches, the breweries not so much. But if you have the chance to travel south from Corolla to kill devil hills, Swells'a Brewing is a solid brewery IMHO. IPAs are solid, but not over the top. They have a really nice range of styles that I enjoyed though. The other OBX breweries that Ive been to are just "ok" and seemingly cater to the tourist industry which is code for "tourists will buy any beer because they are on vacation anyways". Most OBX breweries seem to have 1-2 beers that I like a good bit and all the others are just "ok". Swells'a though is worth seeking out if you are near.
Weeping Radish is excellent...great German food too! It's right before you hit the banks in Grandy. All the beer stores in the Banks sell their beers. They make pilsner, helles, dunkel, doppelbock, hefeweisen, dunkelweisen and altbier, and an occasional oktoberfest, maibock, kolsch, schwarz and gose.

Last edited:
DAMNNNNNN IIIITTTTTT!!!!!!!

My pale ale peaked yesterday. Citrus flavors dropped way off and color going darker. It got Oxidized in transfer, I had flooded the keg with CO2 but still have to leave the lid off and just transfer with a tube. However as the fermenter empties it just pulls in room air. Time to reconfigure how I transfer at least for that one. Unfortunately I only got a half dozen pints out of it before it fell off, and I have another keg on top of this one.

Did a carb check, then a couple more, on my latest episode of OLY-400 torture. It’s only taken me 30 years and a genetically modified strain that is the product of billions of dollars of gov’t funded research, but I’m pretty sure that I can now make a repeatable version of the the stale, oxidized, and heat damaged version of Franziskaner hefe that I loved when I was in undergrad. Looked at that way, I’m a terrible brewer!
49A36986-A451-483C-9475-4254DB5F0CFB.jpeg

Back