Wanting to try something new. Kveik anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNJake

Reaction score
I'm interested in giving one of these stands a try, probably the Voss but I think they all are interesting.
I've heard people doing IPAs and such but what about something quite a bit different. Perhaps a Gose or berliner weisse?

If anyone has some other experience with kveik strains I'd love to hear about it.

I'm interested in giving one of these stands a try, probably the Voss but I think they all are interesting.
I've heard people doing IPAs and such but what about something quite a bit different. Perhaps a Gose or berliner weisse?

If anyone has some other experience with kveik strains I'd love to hear about it.
The voss is a bit tart on its own, I think it should work well in anything sour. I also think I read about people using it for sour stuff somewhere here.....

I made a sour wheat by pitching voss and half a pack of sourpitch. Next time I will pitch a whole pack and maybe pitch the yeast later for a little more tartness.

I made a sour wheat by pitching voss and half a pack of sourpitch. Next time I will pitch a whole pack and maybe pitch the yeast later for a little more tartness.
Sour Pitch didn't make it sour enough?
Were there any hops in the beer?
Was the packet non-expired and stored under refrigeration?

Isn't sour pitch 1gram per 2.5 gal? I've not used it myself but I was looking into it for kettle souring.

You need to work out what you're trying to achieve. If you are interested in seeing what is so different about kveik versus other strains then at the very least you should be brewing a beer that's close to one you've made before - ideally you split a wort and compare kveik(s) against different strains, and/or ferment the splits at different temperatures.

I don't see the point of trying to confuse things by putting them in beers with lots of other things going on like sourness - for your first trial you want a simple system. I tend to do my yeast trials in a SMaSH-ish beer with some less characterful hops - they're cheap and it's a good way to investigate some of the less famous hop varieties in case you find something that you like.

I'd agree with Northern_Brewer - think about flavor. So I've been using Hornindal a bit over the past 6 months. Its super user friendly and throws citrus and pineapple at high temps. So I try to think about what beers will work with that flavor profile. So far its been IPAs & Pale Ales but I wouldn't mind trying something with a heavy wheat content and New World hops . I'm not a sour fan, so I wouldn't mix any of those cultures in.

You need to work out what you're trying to achieve. If you are interested in seeing what is so different about kveik versus other strains then at the very least you should be brewing a beer that's close to one you've made before
Exactly, as I am not a huge fan of IPAs and I only have one experience brewing them. I also don't plan on brewing one any time soon.

I keep notes on my brews and follow a (mostly) scientific method while trying to introduce only one variable at a time and record any change.
That being said, my goal is to introduce a yeast into my hobby that I have never used and has interesting characteristics to me. But all in due time. I love sours and was already planning a brew, not that I would start with this yeast. If a viable option, I won't get to try it out for a good 6 months but I tend to plan my schedule several months ahead.
I have other kinds of recipes I could sub this in for but I'm not trying to brew a beer with kveik in my next batch, just doing research.

Just did a porter with Sigmund Voss Kveik from Yeast bay - GREAT STUFF - did a split batch with knotty in the other conical. Voss was smoother, maltier and had more depth. Head and head retention was much more pillowy with the Voss. Knotty went lower by 6 points 1.014 vs 1.02, but the Voss was the favorite for everyone. Voss is my new go to for dark big beers.

both were the same bill - split 5g batch, same fermentation temp, pitch, etc. - only the yeast stood them apart.

@Dory Rules - no diacetyl rest and between low 60s at night and as high as 75 in the day - i did not temp control this batch. i have heard kviek goes 50s? to 95+ . i read that there were brewers throwing heat lamps on the carboys to push the strain - did not throw major esters. I will be testing that out in the summer when it can get in the 90s ambient.

Just did a porter with Sigmund Voss Kveik from Yeast bay - GREAT STUFF - did a split batch with knotty in the other conical. Voss was smoother, maltier and had more depth. Head and head retention was much more pillowy with the Voss. Knotty went lower by 6 points 1.014 vs 1.02, but the Voss was the favorite for everyone. Voss is my new go to for dark big beers.

both were the same bill - split 5g batch, same fermentation temp, pitch, etc. - only the yeast stood them apart.

Dafuk?! My expreience with Voss was the DIRECT oposite :D

I could NEVER imagine this yeast perform well in a porter :D But I treat this as a sign of how flexible this yeast is and how many different facetts it can show, if treated correctly. My Apa was a bit tart and had pronounced Kveik esters. I pitched 1/3 of a Yeast bay veil into 17l 1.05 OG wort at 37C (100F) and let it ride uncontrolled from there.

I guess you did something different with it :)

But I treat this as a sign of how flexible this yeast is and how many different facetts it can show, if treated correctly.
Another reason I was curious about it! I guess another aspect of this yeast that I am interested in is that many people seem to have great luck repitching it. If it is so versatile, it may give me the last bit of incentive to finally wash and reuse yeast. Although, I should have done that with 3787 a long time ago with as much as I use it... but I digress.

I used a starter with both. Underpitching Kviek will give you those fruity esters like a farmhouse. also 100 degrees will also increase esters.

@TNJake - i did harvest and i washed. I have not re-pitched my harvested yeast. i will be doing so this weekend as i am rebrewing my porter to enter into our local fair. I am really interested in that this yeast will survive and keep dry.

Another reason I was curious about it! I guess another aspect of this yeast that I am interested in is that many people seem to have great luck repitching it. If it is so versatile, it may give me the last bit of incentive to finally wash and reuse yeast. Although, I should have done that with 3787 a long time ago with as much as I use it... but I digress.

Afaik, you can even just spread the slurry on a sheet of backing paper, let it dry and store it in the fridge like normal dry yeast.

Sour Pitch didn't make it sour enough?
Were there any hops in the beer?
Was the packet non-expired and stored under refrigeration?

It was my first sour attempt. I pitched the sourpitch and kveik at the same time but i didn't realise the heat belt was not holding the temp and it dropped into the 20's for a while. I had intended to hold it at 37c. The beer fermented withing 36 hours. It was a new pack cold stored and the IBU was 5.
The next time i tried adding the lacto first in the FV and it quickly turned into a vomit smelling mess.
I have another pack to try again with.

Isn't sour pitch 1gram per 2.5 gal? I've not used it myself but I was looking into it for kettle souring.
The pack says 10 per 1hl. Looks like i over pitched then and will use less next time. Is that a problem over pitching with lacto?

The pack says 10 per 1hl. Looks like i over pitched then and will use less next time. Is that a problem over pitching with lacto?
I really don't know. I have no experience using it, only research.
I did come across trials where people had done split batches with part going to souring vessel and the majority of the wort going to the normal ferm. I assume that you wouldn't want to blend together until near FG on the normal ferm so that the yeast had a good start.

I've used a couple kveiks to do sours in the past. Hothead (stranda) and Voss both gave acceptable results but I didn't notice a big difference between them and something like K-97 or US-05. If you do go this route I highly suggest being ham-fisted with nutrients because it took almost 3 weeks for hothead to hit FG the first time I used it.

the IBU was 5.
Lacto is very hop-sensitive, especially L. plantarum. If you want it sour, don't use hops before adding the Lacto.

This species typically sours well over 65°F (18.5°C), so temperature wasn't the issue even though they suggest higher.

Cheers

I just made a RIS with Voss. OG was 1093 and down to FG 1004 in 3 days. 2ml of gluco300 added to a 13l batch. Tastes really good for an 11.7% flat warm beer. I am going to try and add some of the body back to it with some lactose. I was not expecting 95% attenuation.

I just made a RIS with Voss. OG was 1093 and down to FG 1004 in 3 days. 2ml of gluco300 added to a 13l batch. Tastes really good for an 11.7% flat warm beer. I am going to try and add some of the body back to it with some lactose. I was not expecting 95% attenuation.

A brut RIS!

Why add the enzyme? 1093 is not that big of a beer and that yeast is known to chew strong. Curious.

i used some maltodex on my porter because i had that fear. i petered out at 1.020

I've first used Kveik in 2017 and made two beers there, both being very good. The yeast used was Omega Hothead Ale. But Kveik are interesting yeast, which can be used for lots of beer styles. Go for it.

A brut RIS!

Why add the enzyme? 1093 is not that big of a beer and that yeast is known to chew strong. Curious.

I did my first reiterated mash and forgot to change the temp for the second mash (twice). It went into the seventies so i thought it might get stuck. I had one stop at 1045 before but i guess i should of left it as the body is now too thin but curiosity got the better of me.

Want a kveik-focused beer?

Simple grain bill (base malt maybe with wheat or oats, maybe some crystal or vienna)
minimal hops (little/no aroma additions)
generous yeast nutrient
underpitch
and use high fermentation temperature.

Want a kveik-focused beer?

Simple grain bill (base malt maybe with wheat or oats, maybe some crystal or vienna)
minimal hops (little/no aroma additions)
generous yeast nutrient
underpitch
and use high fermentation temperature.
Agree! Voss, highly underpitched, one third of the vile, fermented at 38c (100f), this gives you the kveik!

Agree! Voss, highly underpitched, one third of the vile, fermented at 38c (100f), this gives you the kveik!
Some people seem to like this yeast because of how quick it ferments. Do you still get a relatively quick fermentation with an underpitch?

Anyone getting a nutty/popcorn flavor from OYL-061 Voss Kveik? I fermented in the 70 °F range because my basement was cool. One beer was a Cashmere SMASH, the other was witbier grainbill. They both had a strong coconut-ty aroma and flavor that bordered on popcorn-y (not fake buttered popcorn (diacetyl)... but the popped corn itself). In the Cashmere SMASH, I chalked it up to the hops, since they are supposed to have a coconut aroma; however, it was even stronger in the witbier grainbill with EKG hops.

I guess the next time I try this yeast, I'll wait until summer when the basement is in the 80s.

How do I underpitch when this is fresh yeast not saved? How do I store the rest of the pouch? Also, has anyone come to a conclusion on the best way to save kveik yeast? I've read saved slurry can cause off flavors, but the omega pouch is slurry. Saving it dry sounds risky, seems it could pick up some unwanted microbes hanging out in the open.

How do I underpitch when this is fresh yeast not saved? How do I store the rest of the pouch? Also, has anyone come to a conclusion on the best way to save kveik yeast? I've read saved slurry can cause off flavors, but the omega pouch is slurry. Saving it dry sounds risky, seems it could pick up some unwanted microbes hanging out in the open.
I would just make a starter, then store it in a sanitized Mason jar. Use what you need. That jar would probably be enough for several beers.

I would just make a starter, then store it in a sanitized Mason jar. Use what you need. That jar would probably be enough for several beers.
Use one teaspoon of slurry for the beer. A normal starter will last for ages. I would also try drying some on backing paper, as a backup.

Should I not worry about the large jar of starter slurry getting infected over time? I think I might be way too careful/paranoid about sanitation when it comes to stuff like this. I'll definitely dry some to save for later. I really like the idea of a yeast that can be saved dry, in my imagination I could bake some popsicle sticks to sanitize, then dip in slurry and hang dry. Store a bunch in the freezer in vacuum sealed pouches, pull one out on brew day and drop into the fermenter. Seems kinda authentic-ish, no?

I would love to know how that works out.

I really want to dry some myself, but ovens lowest temperature is 180F, and I'm kinda paranoid about open air drying. I'll try it eventually.

Back