Using a homebrew instead of a yeast pack ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic

Reaction score
I have heard about people just dumping a homebrew in their wort instead of a liquid or dry yeast package.

Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions.

I brewed a hefeweizen a few weeks ago and was too lazy to wash the yeast, I want to make another batch and would like to save the $8 on liquid bavarian hefe yeast.

Thanks,
Nic

Drink the beer, use the sediment to make a starter. Better yet, drink two beers, and use the sediment from both to make a starter.

You will be grossly under-pitching if you just dump a bottle of HB into your next batch.

Follow these directions:
Step 1: Boil .5lb of light malt extract with some water (about 2 liters) aim for an og of 1.03 to 1.04, put in sanitized container and let cool to 70 degrees f.

Step 2: drink two heffe homebrews by pouring them into a glass and trying not to disturb the yeast trub on the bottom of the bottle. Do not drink out of the bottle, and try to leave at least an inch of beer on the bottm.

Step 3: shake the bottles to loosen the yeast off of the bottom of the bottle and dump the mixture into your cooled low gravity wort mixture from before.

Step 4: Let sit for 3 days and give it a nice shake every once in a while to make sure it is properly airated.

Step 5: Dump the actively fermenting mixture into your beer and watch it take off.

I've never heard of anyone just dumping a homebrew into a fermenter. As the others said, make a starter. I just remember "a cup to a quart" (a cup of DME to a quart of water - boil, cool, pitch).

TL

Latest posts

Back