First time using harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the past I have brewed a beer by just pouring fresh wort into a fermenter with a yeast cake from the previous brew
Brewed up a hefeweizen Thursday last week and now yesterday, friday a dunkelweizen. Used a new pouch of imperial stefon for the hefe, harvested nice creamy yeast from the krausen last weekend and pitched around 100ml in the dunkelweizen yesterday.
The pouch started after 4 hours and the harvested yeast surprised me because the tilt showed gravity changing after 4 hours. I love that as it makes the cost of a pouch of liquid the same as I usually pay for 2 packets of dry. I had been concerned that the 100 ml would be enough. Shouldn't have worried.

Question is if this is unique to hefeweizen yeast or do others take off as quickly?

It seems to me that all of my second generations take off faster then the original pitch. Can't really do a sensory cause the beers are different, but they are all really good.

Back