Treehouse Style IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd think that the starch would be bad for stability, but in a beer that doesn't hang around long, it probably wouldn't matter.

I did like 10min from the end of the boil. Watch out though, if you just dump it in, it can clump, especially if you dont have a very vigorous boil. What Im gonna do next time is make a slurry with a bit of warm water in a tupperware container by shaking it up and adding that to the boil

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

I almost want to open a can of Julius just so I feel cool drinking beer with flour/grain-milled-to-the-death/a-****load-of-wheat in it. :D

LOL that article looks like it would smell like one of those yellow tinged old books. Even uses "flavour"

I just tried my first Julius a couple weeks ago. Awesome IPA. Definitely in my top 5.
65F8D300-9260-476C-8667-8CDBDEA17EC2_zpstrcigyab.jpg

Bissel Bros Reciprocal was very similar. Another one to try if you get the chance.
4387E419-19B1-4B68-8844-4A5EF2652938_zpsviia8sk2.jpg

Okay, whose got the malt bill for that color? That is just beautiful.

The lighting is what helped too. If you look at the other julius pic, its not as "glowing"

here's whered Id reccomend starting. This will get you a very dry, super hazy IPA with a decent body for how dry it is

Yeast: Conan will help with the haze and attenuation vs US-05 or similar yeasts

50% 2 row
18% flaked oats
18% flaked wheat
10% cane sugar
2% acidulated malt (just for pH adjustment in my case)
2% flour, save a few tbsp for the boil

This looks like a slightly tweaked version of your OJ IPA grain bill. What are you thinking that the tweaks will do?

I also noticed that the lighting made a huge impact in the color of the beer.

I doubt the tweaks are significant enough to do much of anything. That (if i remember right) is just what I'm brewing tomorrow when I make it a second time. The first time around, the grain bill was on point. Only thing I'd change was how I added the flour and maybe using a bit more.

Im more focused on the hop schedule. Had to switch it up a bit since Im out of amarillo. I got twice as much mandarina this time though so it still should be pretty orangey. Ive got a bunch of summit that I want to use as well, but im worried about the illusive garlic/onion character. Its 2015 harvest. Has anyone used the new 2015 summits yet?

The biggest change I saw is that 2 row went from 62.5 percent down to 50 and the wheat and oats went up to 18 percent each from 12.5 percent each. I'm keeping a close eye on threads like these because I'm designing a recipe and hope to brew very soon!

Not to further derail the thread, but I gave my Orange Juice IPA another shot last night. Ended up with about the exact grain bill I posted. Mashed with 0.5lb flour and added another 4oz into the boil. I mixed it with hot water in a jar first to avoid clumping. It has a stupid, stupid, stupid amount of hops. When SWMBO pulled up to my apartment building, she said she could smell it. Walks in the door and goes, "Wow, that is reeeeealy hoppy"

I'll post a pic later next month once Ive got it kegged and carbed. Itll be interesting to see how different it looks compared to my first

So I'm going to try my hand at this style on Friday. Grain bill is

Maris otter- 80%
Flaked wheat- 18%
Flaked oats- 2%

I don't have Conan which I know is a pretty big factor in these beers, seems they all use Conan, so I was thinking of going with us-04 and mashing a little higher in the 154 range to try to keep the body a little more viscous. will this get me close to replicating this style. I'm using Azzaca and el dorado at 10,5, and a 4 oz hop stand to really boost the hop nose and flavor.

So here's my tempt at a treehouse style. Brewed with

74% MO
19% flaked wheat
8% flaked oats

OG 1.062

Yeast US-04

This thing is crazy murky. And it barely had a krausen from I'm guessing all the hop oils. We'll see how this turns out. Brewed with azzaca and el dorado hops View attachment 319769

That should come out real tasty. You chose two amazing hops that have great fruit notes. Mango, pineapple, stone fruit... Damn, that sounds good.

That should come out real tasty. You chose two amazing hops that have great fruit notes. Mango, pineapple, stone fruit... Damn, that sounds good.

I'll def update next week when I take the firs gravity check and dry hop and then the final product

Not to further derail the thread, but I gave my Orange Juice IPA another shot last night. Ended up with about the exact grain bill I posted. Mashed with 0.5lb flour and added another 4oz into the boil. I mixed it with hot water in a jar first to avoid clumping. It has a stupid, stupid, stupid amount of hops. When SWMBO pulled up to my apartment building, she said she could smell it. Walks in the door and goes, "Wow, that is reeeeealy hoppy"

I'll post a pic later next month once Ive got it kegged and carbed. Itll be interesting to see how different it looks compared to my first

I kegged my second one a week ago. Took the whole week for all the hop material to settle out and not get that abrasive feeling in the back of your throat

looks very cloudy and almost glowing from haziness. I can't really put into words what it tastes like. I think I created an abomination. My palate may never recover

Bottling my attempt right now from the recipe in one of the posts above. It looks like thick orange juice, finished at 1.014 using 04 but I'm gonna get my hands on some Conan and rebrew it and look forward to seeing the differences, but first i'm looking forward trying this one in a week or two.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450467210.346444.jpg

So the one on the left is MO, flaked wheat and flaked oats using us-04 and azzaca and el dorado. Hazy definitely and I didn't cold crash either don't know how that will effect the final product. Also I'm surprised at well I expected the hops to jump and pop with more citra like notes as azzaca is listed with the same characteristics and the nose is muted, wonder if this has anything to do with the yeast still in suspension. I used a 4oz dry hop on day 10 in primary.

The one on the right i used the grains from trilliums descriptions on their site. This is all citra using 05. Again hazy not quiet as much as the other but their darn close. We'll see how this turns out.

So if I want to get more orange color into these what should I add? C20? There's c10 in the one on the right but you'd never know it.

A friend of mine that is a Head Brewer was talking with me yesterday about a "New England/Vermont" water profile for an IPA or Pale Ale and that "pillowy, soft" mouthfeel. He said that they are known to use higher amounts of calcium, so well over the 100 recommendation via Bru'N and a little lighter on the sulfates. Might be something to try in addition to getting the haze from the wheat and oats.

A friend of mine that is a Head Brewer was talking with me yesterday about a "New England/Vermont" water profile for an IPA or Pale Ale and that "pillowy, soft" mouthfeel. He said that they are known to use higher amounts of calcium, so well over the 100 recommendation via Bru'N and a little lighter on the sulfates. Might be something to try in addition to getting the haze from the wheat and oats.

On both the beers I posted above I used the bru'n water pale ale profile and the sulfate was 133 and the calcium was 85 I believe. Mash ph of 5.3.

I kegged my second one a week ago. Took the whole week for all the hop material to settle out and not get that abrasive feeling in the back of your throat

looks very cloudy and almost glowing from haziness. I can't really put into words what it tastes like. I think I created an abomination. My palate may never recover

^^^isnt that the third time weve been spammed with that exact phrase on this thread?

OK here's a pic with and without the flash. I put this in another thread and just remembered I said I would post one here.

Super drinkable at 9%. Did my usual taste testing at the brewery near me. Some customers that arent entirely knowledgeable about beer said it would be a perfect "summer" beer. I guess they attributed it to the clean finish and orangey taste. Had no idea it was an IPA

1218152342.jpg

1218152343.jpg

^^^isnt that the third time weve been spammed with that exact phrase on this thread?

OK here's a pic with and without the flash. I put this in another thread and just remembered I said I would post one here.

Super drinkable at 9%. Did my usual taste testing at the brewery near me. Some customers that arent entirely knowledgeable about beer said it would be a perfect "summer" beer. I guess they attributed it to the clean finish and orangey taste. Had no idea it was an IPA

9165085-standard.jpg

:D

What does the grain bill and hop schedule look like for this batch?

I decided to post it in the recipes section. Bottled 10 of them from the keg if you want to try some more beers

Absolutely man! If you have some Grapefruit Sculpin' too that would be awesome! I can work on getting some Wicked Weed next month.

Looks good. I just took a gravity sample of my latest this using my first with the omega yeast Conan strain. Got it down to 1.010 mashed at 149 for 90 min. First thing I notice, the body even in the sample is much thicker than say using 001 where it's much more crisp.

Good to know, it looks spot on. I haven't used conan before, but I intend to in the future. Over the past week I took about 4oz from the bottom of a TH Green can and added to a 1.030 starter wort using extra light DME. I have a nice cake on bottom of my jar. Whatever yeast TH uses is fierce and works fast. I'll probably grow it a little more prior pitching in my test batch.

Ive been trolling this thread for a little while. I did come up with my own NEIPA using harvested Conan. Its damn close to being right. Color is on the $$ just needs a bit more haze (may visit the flour idea next time) Recipe an pics in this thread..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=599203

Post #34 on page 4 has the recipe.. And last page has pic of the pour. Keg has been tapped for just about 2 weeks now.

Latest posts

Back