Too much cryo hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

refect

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 13/14 years now and I have never experimented with cryo hop pellets before. I just picked up 2 oz each of cryo citra, cryo simcoe, and cryo idaho 7 from yakima chief.

I plan to use these in my next NEIPA that I will be brewing soon. My question is, is 6oz of cryo hop pellets in the dry hop too much for a 5.5 gallon batch? I've seen some say they have gotten off flavors from cryo hops in large amounts, so I'm not sure of there is a threshold to be aware of when using them?

I was originally planning to only use 1.5 oz of each, but I don't really have a good way to seal and save the remaining amount. Since they only come in 1 oz bags, I figured I might as well toss the whole amount into the dry hop (6 oz total).

When doing NEIPA's I generally use anywhere from 6-12oz + (5.5 -6 gallon batch) of regular t90 hops in the dry hop. If general rule is to cut these in half of you're your regular amount, then I'm still in range of what I'd typically use for t90 pellets. I'm just not sure if the 6oz of all cryo will be too much cryo in the dry hop?

I plan to use about 3 oz total of regular t90 citra, simcoe, and idaho 7 on the hot side, and then all the cryo in the dry hop.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine with all an cryo dry hop. "The Hopslainer" by Burke-Gilman in Seattle is apparently a popular NEIPA and uses all cryo hops at even higher rates. There is a recipe for it in Craft Beer and Brewing. It is a "subscriber exclusive" so not sure if you can access it. Basically it uses 11.5 total ounces in 2 dry hop additions of Cryo Mosaic, Citra and ID7.

I personally usually use a combo of t90, cryo and/or lupo for the dry hop. But try it with what you have planned and keep us posted...

Back