West Coast IPA recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a smaller competition, so they grouped a lot of different styles together. All IPAs including Pale Ales, IPA, IIPA and NEIPA were 1
That happens in a lot of comps with the grouping but they still should make you declare your beer as a BJCP Style so that it can be judged specifically off that style. If the comp is not doing that then it’s just a which beer did you like best and it’s all about judge preference and not how accurately you brewed your beer to style

That happens in a lot of comps with the grouping but they still should make you declare your beer as a BJCP Style so that it can be judged specifically off that style. If the comp is not doing that then it’s just a which beer did you like best and it’s all about judge preference and not how accurately you brewed your beer to style
I had the same complaint, but I understand why they do it this way. There were only 120 entries, and I'm assuming not enough judges. Frustrating that my Altbier and Kolsch were in the same category - German Ales...

I had the same complaint, but I understand why they do it this way. There were only 120 entries, and I'm assuming not enough judges. Frustrating that my Altbier and Kolsch were in the same category - German Ales...
Comps have that right to combine categories for sure so that’s not too much of a concern but if they Did not have you actually enter your beer under a specific number from the BJCP styles for your beer to be judged than it must not be a AHA sanctioned event. I would avoid it in the future

Always check this link in the future for comps;
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/aha-bjcp-sanctioned-competition/#calendar

Comps have that right to combine categories for sure so that’s not too much of a concern but if they Did not have you actually enter your beer under a specific number from the BJCP styles for your beer to be judged than it must not be a AHA sanctioned event. I would avoid it in the future

Always check this link in the future for comps;
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/aha-bjcp-sanctioned-competition/#calendar
Yeah, it definitely wasn't a sanctioned event. It was held by a small local craft brewery. More of a social event than a by the book competition. I knew that going in, so it'll be nice just to get unbiased feedback. Should have scoring sheets within a week or two. Not sure why they weren't ready at the award ceremony...

Following up on this. If a competition lumps all IPAs together, is it usually still best to shoot for a hazy IPA? Seems like it would be hard for other styles to compete with a hazy IPA. I was tempted to try a WC IPA, but I just don't think it would do as well. Maybe it would though. I know it's supposed to be how well the beer matches the style, but there is a lot of subjectivity in the process I'm sure.

Following up on this. If a competition lumps all IPAs together, is it usually still best to shoot for a hazy IPA? Seems like it would be hard for other styles to compete with a hazy IPA. I was tempted to try a WC IPA, but I just don't think it would do as well. Maybe it would though. I know it's supposed to be how well the beer matches the style, but there is a lot of subjectivity in the process I'm sure.
Judges should be scoring a beer directly to the style it’s declared as. Even if styles are lumped together, if there are real judges, it shouldn’t add too or take away from your beer.

That said, there is no “wc ipa” official style. You have to add it as a double ipa 22 or an American ipa 21a. So make sure it’s balanced to its ibus

Looking for some recommendations for dryhop combinations and ratios for a killer WC IPA. What have been your favorite combos?

Often, competitions have enough entries in the IPA category and the Hazy IPA category that they end up at separate tables. (Where other Specialty IPAs end up seems to vary a bit). With smaller competitions, they might end up being judged together. In that case, I would think most times the judges would want to taste the WC IPAs before the NEIPAs.

It is very common for the less popular categories to end up with a wide range of color, flavors and ABV being judged together at one table. In theory, judges are not influenced by the other beers in the flight, but in reality there is a lot of variability in judging. Just like a flavorful Belgian Dark Strong might win because it stands out, a refreshing Belgian Single with subtle flavors might stand out and score well.

Often, competitions have enough entries in the IPA category and the Hazy IPA category that they end up at separate tables. (Where other Specialty IPAs end up seems to vary a bit). With smaller competitions, they might end up being judged together. In that case, I would think most times the judges would want to taste the WC IPAs before the NEIPAs.

It is very common for the less popular categories to end up with a wide range of color, flavors and ABV being judged together at one table. In theory, judges are not influenced by the other beers in the flight, but in reality there is a lot of variability in judging. Just like a flavorful Belgian Dark Strong might win because it stands out, a refreshing Belgian Single with subtle flavors might stand out and score well.
I'm thinking about a competition where they will be choosing one IPA as the winner out of ANY IPA style. I was thinking it would be hard to not pick a hazy IPA, but maybe something else could win.

I'm thinking about a competition where they will be choosing one IPA as the winner out of ANY IPA style. I was thinking it would be hard to not pick a hazy IPA, but maybe something else could win.
IME, it's much easier to be distinctive with a WC style IPA than a NEIPA these days. The latter have got a bit...samey.

Playing with combinations of traditional pine/resin/citrus/weed forward WC hops and high IBUs alongside more tropical fruit forward New World and emerging cultivars lets you bring out some really interesting interesting and exciting flavours whilst staying well within the style guidelines.

Latest posts

Back