To Filter or Not To Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
Question is as the title states but here is my problem statement:

I brewed a Citra Pale Ale and Cider for a wedding. Both pretty straight forward, both came out tasting great. After cold crashing, I drew some samples Cider was clear, beer has was about 50% clear but I was fine with that. Fast forward, wedding is approaching -- they have been carbing and conditioning and I need to move them to the keggerator inside. I draw samples of both, again both right where I want them taste wise but the cider is no longer clear and the pale ale has some small hop pellet particles.

One can reasonably assume that this is due to hop / yeast sediment being distributed when they were moved but here lies my issue --- these things need to be transported to the venue 2-3 hours before they will be served.

I ordered this from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH2JSIY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The folks at the wedding are mostly not craft beer people so I'm afraid clarity is of higher value. Should I do a closed transfer with the filter linked above to a new keg and hope to further reduce anything that may get stirred up at the cost of flavor? Or do I transport it, hope for the best and that it pours off in 3-4 pours?

BTW: Pale Ale was had Irish Moss in the boil (15 min) and Cider had Pecytl Enzymes added before pitch.

I am not sure what 50 means other that 50 wires per inch... I did a quick search and saw a 1 micron size as what you need for beer. I think the filter linked is for keeping much larger things than yeast cells out of drinking water.

If you just drew off the first pint or 2 from a keg I would not be at all surprised that it is not clear, you are sucking up sediment.

I have never filtered. Some of my beers have stayed cloudy, some have started cloudy then with time have become crystal clear.

Unless it is full of hop chunks or apple bits, I would not worry too much. But that is me. I don't go to much effort to please other people.

Move the kegs to the venue as soon as possible giving the longest time you can for things to settle. Pour off a couple of pints and drink for yourself or discard to get the sediment out before your guests start drawing glasses. Or use opaque glasses :eek:

Get solo cups! haha

I'd think you'd pour off whatever sediment is left from moving the kegs within the first few pours. Sounds like you've already poured some out so there shouldn't be too much left I'd think. I've noticed if my beer starts to clear in the keg then all the sediment is usually gone until I pour that final partial pour of a kicked keg.

lol tell everyone is a hazy pale ale spin off. i just made one with 3oz of cryo hops and its super oily and hazy. the only feedback i have received is "when do you plan on making more of this" i think you will be the only one who cares.

but if you have floating bits i would filter, even knowing what it is i am still grossed out.

Yea it not being super clear doesn't concern me so much on the beer as it does the cider. Cider I didn't see any floaties but it just was more of grapefruit color after being moved when it was clear about 3 weeks ago while sampling during conditioning.

I don't know much about ciders but being clear before and now cloudy doesn't sound good. And it doesn't sound like something filtering would be the proper solution. But then again, I have never filtered anything.

You might be able to resolve the issue without filtering with a closed transfer to a clean, CO2 purged keg after pulling the first cloudy pints off a keg that has been sitting long enought for the sediment to settle. This should ensure you leave the bulk of the sediment in the original keg and leave sediment free liquid in the new keg.

You might be able to resolve the issue without filtering with a closed transfer to a clean, CO2 purged keg after pulling the first cloudy pints off a keg that has been sitting long enought for the sediment to settle. This should ensure you leave the bulk of the sediment in the original keg and leave sediment free liquid in the new keg.

That may be the route to go I'm thinking --- its either pour 2 or 3 now and just pour 1 after the final transfer to the venue or pour 3-5 wedding day to get clear again.

How fast will gelatin work? Thought about using that but was afraid it may not work fast enough and make it cloudier before things drop.

I'm no help on your filtering question (I never filter and I bet your cider and beer are good as is) but I have made reminder notes to always avoid wedding brews. Bachelor parties? Sure, but never a wedding. :)

A 50 micron mesh filter won't do anything to either your beer or your cider. All you will achieve is to expose your beer to even more oxydation.

How fast will gelatin work? Thought about using that but was afraid it may not work fast enough and make it cloudier before things drop.

in my experience it takes 3 days to really take full effect. day 1 and 2 its just better than before.

Back