Safale S-33 Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFoxBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a three-pack of this yeast a while back because (1) it was a good deal and (2) I wanted to experiment using it. After doing some research post-purchase, I learned that a lot of folks have strong opinions about it.

While it is labeled as being ideal for Belgian-style ales, a lot of what I read indicated that this isn’t the best use case. The yeast is known to be a mid-range attenuator (70-75%), and it doesn’t seem to be the best for producing those “Belgiany” flavors. There was a fair amount of feedback indicating that it had a neutral flavor profile, which might indicate it being a good candidate for Pale Ales, IPAs, etc.

Over the past few days, I pitched a half packet of the yeast in two 1 gallon brews: a Belgian Singel (4 days ago) and an APA (last night). What better way to test the differing opinions than by brewing up a batch for each use case?

Both fermentations kicked off with a purpose, lots of krausen and a hyperactive airlock. The Singel began with a SG of 1.044. Initially started fermentation around 64 F, then moved to 72 F a day later (trying to encourage phenols). Took a sample last night (3 days after pitching yeast), and it had already plowed down to 1.009. Any fears I had of low attenuation were quickly assuaged, since we’re currently sitting at 79%.

Obviously a little too early to have a good idea of the finished product, but there wasn’t much of anything special about the sample I tasted. The week old saison I sampled at the same time definitely had a Belgiany flavor, but nothing much from the Singel. Smell was actually a little sulphuric. Will see where things are in another week or so.

Aiming for a more sessionable strength APA, so the SG there is 1.040. Will see where we are with that brew in another few days as well.

Used it once in a tripel, but co-pitched with another yeast to get a bit more attenuation. Probably won't use it for the style again. Got the desired fruitiness, but I think most people would say it could have used even more attenuation.

S-33 is another simple, fast, fairly clean / low ester English strain. Nothing Belgian about it. Fermentis is lazy when it comes to updating their ancient descriptions. I would use S-33 in pretty much any British style, and maybe some American styles. Wouldn't try it in a Belgian. You won't get any phenols from it, just low esters. But it's a good fast performer, should be done fermenting in 3 or 4 days.

@dmtaylor, you were spot on: there isn’t a hint of Belgian in this yeast.

That being said, I’m not completely disappointed with how my “Belgian Singel” turned out, at least not as a drinkable beer. No way it would meet style, but I ended up with what might closer to a Cream Ale. Still not a perfect match, but decent beer.

SG ended up at 1.009, for a final ABV of 4.6%. Behold, the “Belgian Impostor”:
8855D49B-5DCF-4A52-B9EE-CD4D5E545501.jpeg

I also drew a sample from the APA I brewed with the rest of the yeast packet. It also came in with a reading of 1.009, but still needs a few more days in the fermenter. Low ABV at the moment on that one (3.9%), but again, I’m not disappointed with the flavor. I’m trying to brew some lower alcohol beers right now anyway, so this is fine by me.

I’ll never use it for anything Belgian, but S-33 works as a quick fermenting, clean flavor yeast. I’m getting between 75-85% attenuation, so not too shabby.

I will note too that the finished products have been on the cloudy side. Could benefit from more time in the fermenter and/or cold crashing.

Use S-33 anywhere you would use Windsor ale yeast. I'll never use Windsor again because I had an infection last time I tried it and had to dump the beer, but I've never had a problem with S-33.

I have no idea why Fermentis says S-33 is Belgian. Then all the online sellers just copy the misinformation. It's not Belgian, it's English with not a lot of character to it.

Beer looks pretty murkey. Let those bottles sit for several weeks more till everything settles down to the bottom.

But yes, everyone on the internet lambasts Fermentis for saying the yeast can be used for belgain beers.

Have you ever tried to ferment with this at high temperature, like around 30C? Brewing session beers I wouldn't dislike a little less attenuation, but the yeast needs to be clean and somehow consistent from 18 to 30C for me

Have you ever tried to ferment with this at high temperature, like around 30C? Brewing session beers I wouldn't dislike a little less attenuation, but the yeast needs to be clean and somehow consistent from 18 to 30C for me
I’ve only brewed with the yeast a couple of times, and both were fermented at around 65F. I will say that both ales have only improved as they’ve conditioned. The “Belgian Impostor” is going to become a regular in my brewing rotation!

Back