Tired of HERMS, considering RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyRydr

BeachMonkey.Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not real happy with my HERMS process flow and considering switching to RIMS. I'd like your advice.

Rig:
I've got a good 3-vessle set of Keggles & dual pumps. my HLT has a HERMS coil installed and a 120v electric heater w/ PID control. I run the boil kettle with a gas burner and don't run a heater on my MLT. I brew 5&10 gallon batches.

Current HERMS Process:
1) Heat HLT to strike temp, say 165f
2) transfer strike liquor to MLT
3) run HERMS to get MLT to strike temp. just a few minutes to account for transfer loss.
4) stop HERMS, mash in, stir, let settle 5 minutes. Usually I nail mash temp pretty well.
5) Top-off HLT to drop temp to mash-temp, say 155f
6) slowly restart HERMS and run for the duration of MASH
7) pause HERMS, ramp HLT to spurge temp, say 170f, about 15min.
8) Sparge
Notes:
The HERMS process works well enough, especially since I can run HLT & HERMS on one 120v circuit. but I don't like f-in around with step 5 & 7.

I have another 120v circuit and am thinking that adding a separate RIMS tube. Specifically this $300 kit at BrewHardware.com . What are your thoughts on this specific product?

After adding a RIMS tube & PID controller on a separate 120v circuit, I envision the following RIMS process:
1) Heat HLT to strike temp, say 165f (I like this as I usually do this the n)
3) run RIMS to get MLT to strike temp. just a few minutes to account for transfer loss.
4) stop RIMS, mash in, stir, let settle 5 minutes.
5) ramp HLT to sparge temp, say 170f.
6) slowly restart RIMS and run for the duration of MASH
7) Sparge
Notes:
I like pre-heating the HLT the night before, so while I could just use RIMS to heat the strike liquor, I expect to keep using the HLT for strike liquor.

Am I missing any RIMS process steps/opportunities here?

For the RIMS config, I'm expecting to mount it to the side of my MLT keggle, add a ball valve to to the RIMS inlet side to facilitate easy hose changes (between mash pump output & water pump outlet).

Any tips on RIMS connections or layout?

Cheers!
Odin
Lead Monkey
BeachMonkey.beer

Attachments

• RIMSpackageTC-2[1].jpg
    RIMSpackageTC-2[1].jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 34
I have another 120v circuit and am thinking that adding a separate RIMS tube. Specifically this $300 kit at BrewHardware.com . What are your thoughts on this specific product?

After adding a RIMS tube & PID controller on a separate 120v circuit, I envision the following RIMS process:
1) Heat HLT to strike temp, say 165f (I like this as I usually do this the n)
3) run RIMS to get MLT to strike temp. just a few minutes to account for transfer loss.
4) stop RIMS, mash in, stir, let settle 5 minutes.
5) ramp HLT to sparge temp, say 170f.
6) slowly restart RIMS and run for the duration of MASH
7) Sparge
Notes:
I like pre-heating the HLT the night before, so while I could just use RIMS to heat the strike liquor, I expect to keep using the HLT for strike liquor.

Am I missing any RIMS process steps/opportunities here?

For the RIMS config, I'm expecting to mount it to the side of my MLT keggle, add a ball valve to to the RIMS inlet side to facilitate easy hose changes (between mash pump output & water pump outlet).

Any tips on RIMS connections or layout?

I've never run a HERMS, so I can't do a comparison. Though I built my RIMS Tube, I got that Inkbird controller from Bobby, and I love it. I had Bobby put a switch on to control the Pump, but I think that's a standard offering now.

Here's my process:
1) Heat HLT to strike temp.
2) Add grains to MLT
3) Transfer strike water to MLT via Pump 1 (I underlet the strike water going through the main valve...no need to stir)
4) (HOSE CHANGE) Change hose on main MLT valve to Pump 2.
5) Turn on Pump 2 to recirculate wort in MLT through RIMS tube
6) Set target Mash temp on Inkbird
7) Mash
8) Heat MLT to sparge temp
@ End of Mash
10) Drop target temp on Inkbird (to keep element from turning on)
11) (HOSE CHANGE) Move hose from MLT recirculation valve to BK main valve
12) Pump Wort to BK via Pump 2
13) Pump Sparge water into MLT to fly sparge via Pump 1
14) Sparge

Of course you can add and do step mashes or conduct a mash out. The one thing I would recommend is always have the wort moving through the RIMS tube when the element is on.

A) I do hate the hose changes, but even that isn't really bad.
B) I wish my Inkbird had a switch to turn off the element.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

One note regarding this:
B) I wish my Inkbird had a switch to turn off the element.
The new Inkbird PIDs have a master switch and additional switches for both heat and pump. super nice all-in-one device for a very reasonable price. I have one for my HLT already, and will get another one for my RIMS.

I have no experience with HERMS, but I have the RIMS tube bobby sells, and I love it.

Great control, and easy to break down and clean.

As others I have never used a Herms system. One challenge of a Rims is scorching the wort. That is not an issue for Herms. One thing that really helps is flow rate. The faster you can flow the less change of scorching. You don't want to go too fast were the grainbed is compacted. Rice hulls is a big help, and dialing in your grain mill. I use .0032" gap on my mill, use rice hulls with any adjuncts, and I can flow fairly fast. I get around 85% efficiency. Also, with faster flow I don't get burnt wort anymore.

Back