Sparging in a Herms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I built my basement induction (2 burners) brewery it was 3v for 10 gal batches. things slowed and I went to 5 gal and the 15 gal Coleman extreme MLT didn't have a deep enough grain bed to work. I got a bag and made a pulley set up and make step mash brews using the HLT to add boiling liquor.
Yesterday I made my spring beer, a rye double bock that hit 1.095. Because the grain bill was 23 lbs I could use the 3v system and sparge and get higher efficiency. I did a single infusion at 152* for 30 min then pulled half the grain for a decoction added back for mashout at 172*.
I started at 11:00 am and finished making the wort at 7:00 pm. It will finish chilling overnite to 55* and I'll pitch and clean up this morning. So yeah Bobby it was a long day and I got one more session for a RIS going in a barrel at 12% or so. I also make a Quad and a Tripple every now and then,so you might say I go both ways. I also have a 10 gal aluminum pot and a propane burner I take on the road for gypsy brewing.

See, the thread is working out just fine. Lots of different perspectives on display. I'm sorry if anyone felt like I was crapping on their precious. I was just being slightly hyperbolic and a bit tongue in cheek because folks sometimes get upset when someone posts something contrary to the OP's direct question. I do have at least one unique perspective having built and shipped over 100 biab rigs. Whenever someone was reluctant to accept the paradigm shift, I've offered to buy it back for full credit towards a 3v system after a couple brews. Bets on how many took me up on the offer?

Back