TiltBridge - Tilt-to-WiFi Device for Tilt Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I finally got a TFT from China, so hooked it up and re-flashed LOLIN 32 with 0.2 TFT firmware. Added my brewfather stream and left it logging an orange tilt. Anyhow had a look this morning and logging had stopped yesterday after 3 hours (13 recordings) and the brewfather stream setting had disappeared. So I've added the stream setting back in, but received no further recordings in brewfather. So after a tiltbridge reboot logging had resumed to brewfather.

So similar thing has happened today as above post #401... 20 readings (4h45m) successfully transmitted to brewfather before its stopped for no apparent reason! Although this time correct brewfather stream setting is there in the web gui. Am I the only person having this problem? Restarting tiltbridge has resumed transmission of readings to brewfather.

If the last update you did to the ESP32 was a few months back, I would recommend updating to the most recent firmware and then re-adding the TiltBridge to Fermentrack.

Fermentrack should be able - if pointed at your TiltBridge - to “send” the necessary configuration to the TiltBridge (and therefore configure it almost automatically). TiltBridge doesn’t require any scripts to be running on your Pi to communicate with Fermentrack - starting/stopping scripts shouldn’t impact any of the TiltBridge-specific functionality.
Following up on this, I reflashed the ESP32 from the TiltBridge web interface and re-added the Tiltbridge to Fermentack. I can get Tiltbidge to send readings to Google Sheets, so I must be missing something obvious. It's running on a Pi4 w/ Debian and I bought the ESP32 on Amazon. It has the tiny TFT screen and the "Boot" and "EN" buttons on the back. I had to press one of them to get it to flash, I think EN. Here are some screen snips. Any ideas? Thanks!
Configuration Options
OptionValue
Tilt ColorBlue
Connection TypeTiltBridge
Smoothing Window (Readings)70
Logging Frequency15
TiltBridge NameBlue TiltbridgeAP
TiltBridge mDNS IDtiltbridgeAP

Fermentrack URL (copy to TiltBridge)http://192.168.1.25/tiltbridge/
Update TiltBridge Automatically

TiltBridge Settings
These settings apply to the TiltBridge as a whole
mDNS ID: tiltbridgeAP

Fermentrack URL: http://192.168.1.25/tiltbridge/

I noticed the same thing - the network stack is not really ready for prime time IMHO on these. On Brew Bubbles, I restart the stack on an internal timer.

I know @Thorrak is juggling a lot of projects right now, and China seems to still be intermittent with their supplies. it makes for a tough time to try to do things.

I noticed the same thing - the network stack is not really ready for prime time IMHO on these. On Brew Bubbles, I restart the stack on an internal timer.

I know @Thorrak is juggling a lot of projects right now, and China seems to still be intermittent with their supplies. it makes for a tough time to try to do things.
I could try restarting the network. Something like this?
sudo ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0
Sudo ifdown wlan0 && ifup wlan0

Uhg, my TiltBridge continues to struggle to maintain a connection with a Tilt. It may work for 1-48 hours and it may not work for 1-48 hours (and everything in between).

Full disclosure, I ferment in stainless, inside a beverage cooler style fridge, and the TiltBridge is anywhere from 2-4 feet away from the tilt. (So I know signal strength could be a issue)

I was thinking that this was a Tilt signal strength issue, but I don’t think so.

this is an image of my tilt graph on my Fermentrack build. This Tilt is connected via TiltBridge. For most of the day, it’s very sporadic recording until near the time I took this screenshot. (Logging frequency =15, smoothing window=70)

FDB895F7-2F4A-4909-A1CB-3D0B265748BD.jpeg

The next image of the exact same tilt as used above, is from a second Fermentrack build. Now this tilt is connected to Fermentrack via Bluetooth. The RPi running this build is about 4 inches above my TiltBridge (so, further from the Tilt). The Time scale is the same for both images, but you can see with this second build, I’m staying connected to the Tilt and receiving the readings. (Logging Frequency = 15, Smoothing Window = 70)

90443413-0AAA-4FB9-A6A4-3C8D99F480A5.jpeg

I‘m a bit at a loss. I really thought it was signal strength related...well, maybe it is?

Any Thoughts? Any Aluminum Foil Rabbit Ears I can make to help the TiltBridge out?

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to pull a received signal strength reading out of a Bluetooth transceiver...

Well, I can’t say what the TiltBridge transceiver reads, but the Tilt app on my iPhone (when placed near the TiltBridge) reads anywhere from -84 dBm to -90dBm

Uhg, my TiltBridge continues to struggle to maintain a connection with a Tilt. It may work for 1-48 hours and it may not work for 1-48 hours (and everything in between).

Full disclosure, I ferment in stainless, inside a beverage cooler style fridge, and the TiltBridge is anywhere from 2-4 feet away from the tilt. (So I know signal strength could be a issue)

I was thinking that this was a Tilt signal strength issue, but I don’t think so.

Is the display on the TiltBridge updating when it's not reporting? (Like - is the gravity changing?)

Thorrak said:
Is the display on the TiltBridge updating when it's not reporting? (Like - is the gravity changing?)

No, nothing (other than the headers) display on the TiltBridge screen. When something does register on the screen TitBridge relays the values to Fermentrack. My problem is I can’t keep the Tilt “connected” to the TiltBridge.

No, nothing (other than the headers) display on the TiltBridge screen. When something does register on the screen TitBridge relays the values to Fermentrack. My problem is I can’t keep the Tilt “connected” to the TiltBridge.
I should know this by now, but which version of the firmware are you using again? The oled one or the TFT one?

Thanks @Thorrak . Nope, it didn't help me :confused: BTW...I lost access to tiltbridge.local with that firmware update.

I may have to request the development of a TiltRamp to help me get to TiltBridge :D

Are those press fit screws?
Heat-staked inserts from McMaster-Carr (we use them at work). The holes in the circuit boards are so small, it’s hard to use anything self-threading. It uses #0 for the boards & #2 to hold the base to the top.
Do you have printable plans?
I could provide STL files. Is this the best place?

I could provide STL files. Is this the best place?
Thanks! Maybe add it to the Github repo?

Couple of options here! If you're interested in/comfortable with having the files added to the repo, I'm happy to do so - Either send them to me in a PM and I'll add them, or add them yourself and send across a pull request. Alternatively, if you want to add them to your own Thingiverse account (or host them elsewhere) and send me a link, I can get the link added to the repo.

The advantage to adding the files to GitHub is that it prevents Thingiverse's perpetual server issues from impacting availability, but the downside is that it makes updates harder. Regardless - this is an awesome case design!

@Thorrak - I'll send you the zip file in a PM. I'm afraid I don't always "get" GitHub. I was very happy when you made the flashing software!
I think the use of the threaded inserts may be a disadvantage for some. It uses 7 each #0-80 (McMaster 93365A102, $12.23/100) and 4 each #2-56 (93365A110 $10.51/100) or similar. There may be other sources like Ebay for smaller quantities that's less expensive. If you're into 3D printing, you may already have some. If nothing else, I hope it might serve as a starting point for someone else's design.

Hey guys, I'm running into an issue. I bought the suggest components from the tiltbridge webiste, got every flashed using brewflasher, the screen displays my tilt's data perfectly but I can not seem to login to the tiltbridge.local site or by using the IP address on my lan. I am on the same wireless network as the bridge for each instance.

I can not seem to login to the tiltbridge.local site or by using the IP address on my lan. I am on the same wireless network as the bridge for each instance.
Either you are leaving something out, or I'm missing something.

Did you connect to the Tilt while it was in Access Point mode and configure it for your local wireless?

Either you are leaving something out, or I'm missing something.

Did you connect to the Tilt while it was in Access Point mode and configure it for your local wireless?

I did. It displays my tilt's information on the screen but I can not access the local site. I've logged into the tilt countless time via WiFi and reset the wifi info. My router shows me that it is connected. Even when I try to access it via the ip address I still get a dns error.

Well, I would try a couple of things:
  • Try accessing from a different machine (i.e. a phone)
  • Erase flash and try again
The latter generally fixes weird things, but the former rules out anything on your machine (like antivirus) getting in the way.

So, I've printed the D32 Pro enclosure (6 of them to be exact, for myself and club members).
But when trying to get all the parts in the enclosure if I center the screen then it doesn't line up with the top, but if I try to line the screen up with the top I can't get it in the bottom because of the ribbon.
Anyone else?

Last edited:
Let me clarify the above.

Putting the screen in the location set forth by the bottom of the enclosure, if you put it in the correct orientation it won't actually fit because of the ribbon cable. If you flip the screen it fits without issue but, then not only is the orientation flipped but because of how the screens are made it is also offset in the opening which is obviously not correct either.

So without a picture ... you mean that the screen you have is slightly different than the one I have here using that case? I mean, not earth-shattering with stuff sourced from China if that's what it is.

Let me clarify the above.

Putting the screen in the location set forth by the bottom of the enclosure, if you put it in the correct orientation it won't actually fit because of the ribbon cable. If you flip the screen it fits without issue but, then not only is the orientation flipped but because of how the screens are made it is also offset in the opening which is obviously not correct either.
There should be space for the ribbon - none of mine have had any issues thus far.

Which case are you trying to use?

There should be space for the ribbon - none of mine have had any issues thus far.

Which case are you trying to use?

The one that is listed on the TiltBridge documentation. TiltBridge Case - D32 Pro /w TFT by Thorrak

For the screen to be centered and in the correct orientation the ribbon would be at the top which can't fit because the screen sits pretty much right on the edge of the case.

I am currently printing a test revised top which I flip the whole case and shift the opening over 6mm. We will see if that fixes my issue.

I have 6 screens and they all fit the same.

I recommend against the LED one since you won’t be using a battery, but the flash size doesn’t matter. I haven’t ever seen the 4MB version in stock for what it’s worth - 16MB will work great.

It looks like AllieExpress only has the Lolin D32 Pro LED available. Is there a problem with using this board. Amazon has the non LED version ( but not the tft screen) but it is 2x the price and I still have to order the screen from Alli.

Ok, I've read through the entire thread and can't seem to find a resolution to what I'm seeing. I'm trying to set up a TiltBridge w/o a display. I have a brand new (arrived yesterday) Lolin D32 Pro, flashed using BrewFlasher. I can get the AP to show up and get it connected to one of my networks. After that part, it seems to fall apart.

Fermentrack can see the TiltBridgeAvailableTiltBridge.png, but I can't get the .local to show on any browser tiltylocal.png (tried on multiple computers and my phone, on varied browsers). Trying to add the bridge to Fermentrack ends up with a 504 time-out page, but going to the Django admin panel, the Bridge shows.Django.png After checking that, I try the fermentrackIP/tiltbridge site, but get that "JSON-Unable to parse" error that was reported before.json.png

I've flashed both the v.2 and the v.2.1 TFT versions of the flash to the same results. I also tried flashing through Fermentrack as well. Same thing.

Since insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, I'm hoping the greater minds on the forum can keep me from going nuts.

I think...emphasis on think... because you’re not running a TFT, you need to use the ESP32 firmware...but hopefully @Thorrak can confirm for you.

I too, have had off again, on again issues with the ability to access the local TiltBridge IP...I’ve been locked into and running the release that was up on June 1, 2020 and do not have issues accessing the local currently.

I think...emphasis on think... because you’re not running a TFT, you need to use the ESP32 firmware...but hopefully @Thorrak can confirm for you.

Finally had a moment and re-flashed it using the OLED version, and viola! Thanks @garzlok , I'm going to be working on your repeater next after I've refreshed up on my soldering skills. I'll post on your thread how that goes.

Back