TiltBridge - Tilt-to-WiFi Device for Tilt Hydrometer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sjdenton08

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got a TFT from China, so hooked it up and re-flashed LOLIN 32 with 0.2 TFT firmware. Added my brewfather stream and left it logging an orange tilt. Anyhow had a look this morning and logging had stopped yesterday after 3 hours (13 recordings) and the brewfather stream setting had disappeared. So I've added the stream setting back in, but received no further recordings in brewfather. So after a tiltbridge reboot logging had resumed to brewfather.

sjdenton08

Reaction score
So similar thing has happened today as above post #401... 20 readings (4h45m) successfully transmitted to brewfather before its stopped for no apparent reason! Although this time correct brewfather stream setting is there in the web gui. Am I the only person having this problem? Restarting tiltbridge has resumed transmission of readings to brewfather.

daveMN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If the last update you did to the ESP32 was a few months back, I would recommend updating to the most recent firmware and then re-adding the TiltBridge to Fermentrack.

Fermentrack should be able - if pointed at your TiltBridge - to “send” the necessary configuration to the TiltBridge (and therefore configure it almost automatically). TiltBridge doesn’t require any scripts to be running on your Pi to communicate with Fermentrack - starting/stopping scripts shouldn’t impact any of the TiltBridge-specific functionality.
Following up on this, I reflashed the ESP32 from the TiltBridge web interface and re-added the Tiltbridge to Fermentack. I can get Tiltbidge to send readings to Google Sheets, so I must be missing something obvious. It's running on a Pi4 w/ Debian and I bought the ESP32 on Amazon. It has the tiny TFT screen and the "Boot" and "EN" buttons on the back. I had to press one of them to get it to flash, I think EN. Here are some screen snips. Any ideas? Thanks!
Configuration Options
OptionValue
Tilt ColorBlue
Connection TypeTiltBridge
Smoothing Window (Readings)70
Logging Frequency15
TiltBridge NameBlue TiltbridgeAP
TiltBridge mDNS IDtiltbridgeAP

Fermentrack URL (copy to TiltBridge)
Update TiltBridge Automatically

TiltBridge Settings
These settings apply to the TiltBridge as a whole
mDNS ID: tiltbridgeAP

Fermentrack URL: http://192.168.1.25/tiltbridge/

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Sponsor HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing - the network stack is not really ready for prime time IMHO on these. On Brew Bubbles, I restart the stack on an internal timer.

I know @Thorrak is juggling a lot of projects right now, and China seems to still be intermittent with their supplies. it makes for a tough time to try to do things.

daveMN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing - the network stack is not really ready for prime time IMHO on these. On Brew Bubbles, I restart the stack on an internal timer.

I know @Thorrak is juggling a lot of projects right now, and China seems to still be intermittent with their supplies. it makes for a tough time to try to do things.
I could try restarting the network. Something like this?
sudo ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0
Sudo ifdown wlan0 && ifup wlan0

garzlok

Reaction score
Uhg, my TiltBridge continues to struggle to maintain a connection with a Tilt. It may work for 1-48 hours and it may not work for 1-48 hours (and everything in between).

Full disclosure, I ferment in stainless, inside a beverage cooler style fridge, and the TiltBridge is anywhere from 2-4 feet away from the tilt. (So I know signal strength could be a issue)

I was thinking that this was a Tilt signal strength issue, but I don’t think so.

this is an image of my tilt graph on my Fermentrack build. This Tilt is connected via TiltBridge. For most of the day, it’s very sporadic recording until near the time I took this screenshot. (Logging frequency =15, smoothing window=70)

FDB895F7-2F4A-4909-A1CB-3D0B265748BD.jpeg

The next image of the exact same tilt as used above, is from a second Fermentrack build. Now this tilt is connected to Fermentrack via Bluetooth. The RPi running this build is about 4 inches above my TiltBridge (so, further from the Tilt). The Time scale is the same for both images, but you can see with this second build, I’m staying connected to the Tilt and receiving the readings. (Logging Frequency = 15, Smoothing Window = 70)

90443413-0AAA-4FB9-A6A4-3C8D99F480A5.jpeg

I‘m a bit at a loss. I really thought it was signal strength related...well, maybe it is?

Any Thoughts? Any Aluminum Foil Rabbit Ears I can make to help the TiltBridge out?

Last edited:

day_trippr

A bad time to be an empath.
Reaction score
I wonder if it's possible to pull a received signal strength reading out of a Bluetooth transceiver...

garzlok

Reaction score
I wonder if it's possible to pull a received signal strength reading out of a Bluetooth transceiver...
Well, I can’t say what the TiltBridge transceiver reads, but the Tilt app on my iPhone (when placed near the TiltBridge) reads anywhere from -84 dBm to -90dBm

OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Uhg, my TiltBridge continues to struggle to maintain a connection with a Tilt. It may work for 1-48 hours and it may not work for 1-48 hours (and everything in between).

Full disclosure, I ferment in stainless, inside a beverage cooler style fridge, and the TiltBridge is anywhere from 2-4 feet away from the tilt. (So I know signal strength could be a issue)

I was thinking that this was a Tilt signal strength issue, but I don’t think so.
Is the display on the TiltBridge updating when it's not reporting? (Like - is the gravity changing?)

garzlok

Reaction score
Thorrak said:
Is the display on the TiltBridge updating when it's not reporting? (Like - is the gravity changing?)
No, nothing (other than the headers) display on the TiltBridge screen. When something does register on the screen TitBridge relays the values to Fermentrack. My problem is I can’t keep the Tilt “connected” to the TiltBridge.

OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No, nothing (other than the headers) display on the TiltBridge screen. When something does register on the screen TitBridge relays the values to Fermentrack. My problem is I can’t keep the Tilt “connected” to the TiltBridge.
I should know this by now, but which version of the firmware are you using again? The oled one or the TFT one?

garzlok

Reaction score
Thorrak said:
I should know this by now, but which version of the firmware are you using again? The oled one or the TFT one?
Flashed via BrewFlasher, TFT, Alpha 0.2.1

garzlok

Reaction score
Thanks @Thorrak . Nope, it didn't help me :confused: BTW...I lost access to tiltbridge.local with that firmware update.

I may have to request the development of a TiltRamp to help me get to TiltBridge :D

garzlok

Reaction score

i guess this will be the oomph I need.