This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry, man. Here, most people are already studying their third language and many already bilingual by the time they are nine years old. If it weren't for the prevalence of english and german language tv, we'd all be restricted to the hell of watching local drama-queen episodes such as Salatut elämät.

Might not be too late for you to take up Spanish lessons - I hear they're taking over large swaths of your country. They might even have some good tv series ;-)

It's the old joke....

Q. What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?
A. Trilingual

Q. What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?
A. Bilingual

Q. What do you call someone who only speaks one language?
A. American

:D

This could get ugly, but hear me out....

Drivers who think its cool to pass a bike rider (pedal bike) close. 4' is the law people obey it!! (I'd say about 95% give us riders a fair amount of space, but its those a-holes who pass, quickly too within a foot, or inches....B@st@rds!

Flip side, bikers who ride side by side. What the F is wrong with you guys!! Single file, unless you absolutely 100% positively know there is no vehicle around. Those damn pack riders are the WORST! You aren't in the F'ing Tour de France so stop acting like it an pissing off drivers who then find it funny to pass us single file bikers with inches to spare!! Oh, and those riders who flout the rules of the road. You should go to. Damn you.

Ok, I'm better now. Thanks.

As far as bicyclists go I always try to give them a wide berth, same with joggers.

But here's the thing, you got a quarter mile of cars stacked up behind you because there's oncoming traffic. I'm passing you safely but four feet is not an option. How about pulling off the road to let the backed up cars by, just like I do when towing or driving slowly for some other reason? Courtesy goes both ways.

This is true at chain restaurants which I won't set foot in anyway. If you're going to a chain restaurant then you're getting what you deserve....

And non-chain restaurants.

I'm with you. Tipping in the US is necessary because servers can be paid much less than the legal minimum wage. I don't have the exact numbers but if minimum wage is $7.85 per hour then servers can be paid something like $2.75 per hour and it's expected that the tips will make up the difference.

Federal minimum wage is $7.25, unless state or local laws specify higher. Tipped employees may be payed as low as $2.13 by the employer, HOWEVER, employers MUST guarantee that servers make at least $7.25 per hour at the end of the day, through the inclusion of tips or otherwise. If servers don't make enough in tips to bring them up the $7.25/hr minimum, then the employer is legally required to make up the difference.

Fact: there is not a single waitress in America legally making only $2.13 an hour. This is misinformation that is commonly spread, but patently false.

It's not "expected", it's the law.

And none of our waiters or waitresses make only minimum wage; some of them even make as high as the $50k-$60k range, plus health and retirement benefits. While agree that tipping should probably be eliminated and replaced by higher meal prices and fixed wages, my point is they're not exactly hurting.

I know you said ok let it rest. I'll stop after this unless you want keep going back and forth. Just say so.

You never felt like you were getting bad service, ignored, been shortchanged, or have been mistreated by bad employees? If so how did you resolve the problem?

I don't know what you do for a living. I work in a very large corporation, it's a bureaucracy where people don't always play nice, they have their own agenda, or shirk responsibility. It's a wonder how they keep their jobs.

If you're being held accountable to a goal or deadline and you need to get something done but one person or group is the obstacle you can't blame them and let it go.

If face to face conversations don't work or telephone calls, sometimes you have to cc their boss in an email or call a meeting and invite them and their boss and hammer stuff out with them and your boss.

You can call me winey d!ck, but in the long term I'll keep my job and get a good raise and eventually get promoted.

It's better than being the one who's getting d!cked.

I have no idea how any of this justifies your behavior in a restaurant. It seems like you're trying to look better after I called you out for behavior that you proudly admitted to earlier. Just let it go man, you aren't always going to come out looking squeaky clean and this is one of those times. Now it's time for you to drop it and move on. Better yet, maybe you will take this opportunity to be more tolerant of the people that are feeding you

And non-chain restaurants.
Fact: there is not a single waitress in America legally making only $2.13 an hour. This is misinformation that is commonly spread, but patently false.

It's not "expected", it's the law.

And none of our waiters or waitresses make only minimum wage; some of them even make as high as the $50k-$60k range, plus health and retirement benefits. While agree that tipping should probably be eliminated and replaced by higher meal prices and fixed wages, my point is they're not exactly hurting.

Everything you say is correct. I was trying to explain the tipping culture to someone outside the US and I didn't want to get too deep in the nuts and bolts. I owned a restaurant for a short time and the servers made more from that place than I did.

and if it helps to stick a fork in the tipping debate, let me just offer this in support of both sides.

yes, it's that scene, and yes the language is Not Safe For Work.

Last edited by a moderator:
General things that peeve me:

1. Student Loans. I went to school to earn a degree in order to "make more money" just to use the money to pay back my student loans.

2. Giving kids participant trophies. Yay! Let's tell every kid that they "won" and continue to breed mediocrity.

3. People with tattoos on their neck, hands, face... that complain that they can't find a job. Really? I am sleeved and have maintained steady employment since I started getting tattooed 17 years ago. Why? Because I can easily cover all of my tattoos. Sure. I would love a neck tattoo. But I also love putting food on the table, paying my mortgage, and spoiling my kids.

4. The Big Bang Theory. The show. Not the scientific theory. It's about "nerds," but I don't know any nerds that think it's funny.

5. Americans that walk down the left side of an aisle, row, hallway... we drive on the right. Walk on the right.

6. When people argue that what is popular is therefore good. (See the Big Bang Theory.)

7. Panera Bread. Zero artificial flavors. Zero preservatives. Zero flavor. I'd rather eat the re-heated slop from Applebees.

Obviously you didn't realize that when you took out the student loans they "actually" expected you to repay them! Did you think it was a free ride?
I worked 1-2 full time jobs to pay for my college tuition & grad school!
Get a grip!!!

As far as bicyclists go I always try to give them a wide berth, same with joggers.

But here's the thing, you got a quarter mile of cars stacked up behind you because there's oncoming traffic. I'm passing you safely but four feet is not an option. How about pulling off the road to let the backed up cars by, just like I do when towing or driving slowly for some other reason? Courtesy goes both ways.

I guess that's fair, but I've never created a 1/4mi backup. I don't drive on roads without shoulders that are busy, that's crazy. Mostly my rant is on those drivers that have NO ONE coming the other way. Really pisses me off, there's just no reason, and it can only end badly if something were to happen. For both.

Yeah, it gets bad down in my part of Florida. Not many bike lanes. there's no reason to pass close to someone when there's no oncoming traffic, that's just a jerk move.

I ride a motorcycle, so I'm very aware of how unprotected you are on two wheels.

I have no idea how any of this justifies your behavior in a restaurant. It seems like you're trying to look better after I called you out for behavior that you proudly admitted to earlier. Just let it go man, you aren't always going to come out looking squeaky clean and this is one of those times. Now it's time for you to drop it and move on. Better yet, maybe you will take this opportunity to be more tolerant of the people that are feeding you

I think you are missing the point, this is a pet peeve thread is it not?

What behavior are you frickin' talking about here? Complaining about bad service??? You must have skimmed half of my posts.

I don't care about looking better, I don't care if people think I'm D!ck, because I know I'm not.

My specific pet peeve doesn't happen every time I eat out for dinner. Once maybe twice a year out of 100-150 times eating out. Less than 1%

Plain and simple if I order appetizer I should be given the time to eat the thing rather than be bulldozed into the the next course. Mind you I am talking about nice places, NOT franchised highly commercialized slop-houses. Which you must have worked at or have sympathy to in someway.

The McDonalds one, crap you edited the quote to exclude the main point... Specifically to the fact they charged me for the eggs and then didn't give them to me. Its breakfast all day, but not eggs? Ok so they don't serve eggs after 11... Is it wrong then to be reimbursed for the eggs? They are a side, they are on the menu. I ordered them, they charged me, they declined to serve eggs. Why is this not a problem to you?

Then later I find they stiffed me on the sausage! No pun intended. (Dude, I was getting this for my 6 year old kid.) My saying give me my money for the eggs had nothing to do with the breakfast sausage. I had the bag in hand. Apparently sausage isn't part of breakfast all day either or they screwed up the order for "Pancakes & Sausage". Unfortunately I didn't notice this till I opened the pancakes.

Don't be that guy.

It would never occur to me to complain to the manager, that's just a whiny d!ck move in my opinion.

"Drop it and move on?" You think, nobody should complain to management for poor service. Why? Do you work for the SEIU? I take it you just take the $hit people shovel to you? What comes around, goes around?

You are so full of crap. "It would never occur to me complain to the manager ... "

Let me remind you this is a thread for ranting about stupid annoyances.

It's the old joke....

Q. What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?
A. Trilingual

Q. What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?
A. Bilingual

Q. What do you call someone who only speaks one language?
A. American

:D

That's not even true, because a whole lot of Americans are bilingual. It's the USA people who don't usually care to learn another language.

Hint, for those who skipped the 4th grade geography lessons, America stretches from Puerto Navarino, Chile all the way up to Alert, Canada. People from Argentina are just as much Americans as people from Moldova are Europeans.

That's a bit of a pet peeve for me, and that's why I always refer to US citizens as "USA people". The label "USA:ns" would sound sort of stupid, but they definitely do not own the generic claim to the label "American" any more than the French would own the generic claim to the label "European".

I know an Argentinean woman who runs a local fish counter. I was standing in line one day and she asked a customer where he was from. He replied "America". She told him with a big smile "Me, too! I'm an American, too!".

Ya know what grinds my gears?

People who think English speakers should learn another language.
People who think there should even be more languages.
People who don't understand the difference between continents and countries. I'm looking at you, African Americans.
People who pretend to know the difference. Eyes on you this time, 'America is all one big continent' people.
Getting a catered lunch meeting from Panera Bread instead of Jason's. Panera really does suck.

I swear if there's anything more annoying than a flat tire first thing in the morning right before work, I don't know what it is. Pain. In. The Ass.

Just kidding, I know exactly what's worse than that: a dog having the splatter-squirts sometime during the night. Had to clean that up before I even had my morning piss. Must have happened early too since it was nice and dry, which meant it needed to be rehydrated before it could be properly cleaned. Not really sure which scenario would be worse there.

Those were my last two mornings. Happy frakkin new year. :drunk:

This.

We were standing in a rather long line to get into the San Diego Zoo last year. In comes a family of Chinese tourists, about 8 or 10 of them. They swoop right in to the front of the line, in front of one of the ticket booths. Other people start yelling at them. A zoo employee came over and told them they had to go to the back of the line. Just then the Chinese mom started shrieking indignantly at the poor guy. After a little back and forth arguing with him, the tourists finally shuffled to the back of the line.

Sense of entitlement isn't just an American thing. Ugly tourists come in all flavors.

Saw a similar situation flying back from Hawaii, the plane was a shared flight with Korean airline, and the gate agents handled it beautifully and sternly. I guess it is a cultural thing.

Since I have been paying extra sales tax levies earmarked for new stadiums for the Twins and Vikings, I'm going to use possessive pronouns when referring to the teams.

I'm not even a big fan, but I helped pay the subsidies, so dammit, I'm claiming my share. ;)

Or if your family owns stock sold by a publicly owned team like the Packers then you'll be damn sure I'm saying "we" and "us" (even when we are playing like total garbage).

Pet Peeve:

The ridiculous Packer fans that think their framed stock certificate means anything.

Just slightly behind the above morans on the idjit scale are those people immediately behind them in line who are too intimidated to give a short wake the f up and go honk.

not sure if we have any family in Al , but most around here are very good drivers and quite adept at honking

People who don't understand the difference between continents and countries. I'm looking at you, African Americans.

People who don't know the difference between states and countries and continents.

Africa = continent
America = two entire continents

New York = state
New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, etc = UNITED states

The fact that they are located in America and are the only UNITED states, makes them first claim to UNITED states of america (USA). No other states in America who UNITE can become known as the UNITED states of america because that name is already taken.

UNITED states of america does not equal America.

And, for the record, most states are powerful enough to exist on their own without the need to unite for federal protection

"Drop it and move on?" You think, nobody should complain to management for poor service. Why? Do you work for the SEIU? I take it you just take the $hit people shovel to you? What comes around, goes around?

You are so full of crap. "It would never occur to me complain to the manager ... "

Let me remind you this is a thread for ranting about stupid annoyances.

Touchy touchy. And yeah, my stupid annoyance is a$$holes like you who complain to the manager over stupid stuff. No, I don't take any crap, I just vote with my wallet. I'm not arrogant enough to think it's my place to tell someone how to do their job. I just don't come back instead. I didn't edit anything you said, I quoted you verbatim. The fact that you had already paid for your eggs is implied. People like YOU are my pet peeve, and that's why I posted it. Now please, for the love of God, just drop this. There is no way you are going to come out on top, cut your losses. :mad:

Be my angel.

Do you wanna die?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHWdA9Ul5Pk[/ame]

Pet Peeve:

The ridiculous Packer fans that think their framed stock certificate means anything.

If you have to ask what it means or what it's worth, you'll never understand. [emoji12]

And yes, they are playing like **** right now.

Touchy touchy. And yeah, my stupid annoyance is a$$holes like you who complain to the manager over stupid stuff. No, I don't take any crap, I just vote with my wallet. I'm not arrogant enough to think it's my place to tell someone how to do their job. I just don't come back instead. I didn't edit anything you said, I quoted you verbatim. The fact that you had already paid for your eggs is implied. People like YOU are my pet peeve, and that's why I posted it. Now please, for the love of God, just drop this. There is no way you are going to come out on top, cut your losses. :mad:

Really?

If I am the manager, I want to know, good, bad or indifferent. How can I fix things if I don't know what is wrong? By the same token, it is nice to hear when things are right so that I can reward good work that I may not be aware of.

If my business is in the business of pleasing customers, then anything to help me toward that purpose is helpful.

This has gotten way out of hand. The guy started out by saying he had some issues out dining and started a general pet peeve thread about it and your first reply to him is to associate him with an *******, and you did it again here. This thread was meant as a light hearted area for venting, there's no need for that.

What he's been trying to say is that if there was an issue with the meal, he let's someone know about it. That does not mean he stands on tables and berates managers while telling them how to do their jobs. The McDonalds thing seems to be a totally separate issue but why on Earth would anyone want to pay for services/goods they didn't receive? There's a huge difference between telling someone how to do their job and how their performance didn't live up to your expectation, and it's not like he said every shortcoming needs to be verbalized (or did he?).

Again, there's a way to go about getting your money back and offering some constructive criticism without being a jerk about it. So, genuine question, did I miss a post where he was being a genuine jerk or did he just post a pet peeve about not so great dining experiences?

I think every business owner would want to know if their customer service people are driving business away.

As a former restaurant owner I definitely wanted to know if this was happening. If the customer doesn't tell me about a problem, I can't fix it.

So, getting back to pet peeves. How about those people from insignificant countries who want to get all uppity?

Finland? You've got a population of about 6 million... We have CITIES with more people than that.

We built the bomb, sent men to the moon, won WW's 1 and 2, collapsed the Soviet Union... You gave the world Linux.

Your GDP is roughly $225 Billion, nice... we have 25 states with a higher GDP, hell, Arkansas has half your GDP.

I think every business owner would want to know if their customer service people are driving business away.

As a former restaurant owner I definitely wanted to know if this was happening. If the customer doesn't tell me about a problem, I can't fix it.

So, getting back to pet peeves. How about those people from insignificant countries who want to get all uppity?

Finland? You've got a population of about 6 million... We have CITIES with more people than that.

We built the bomb, sent men to the moon, won WW's 1 and 2, collapsed the Soviet Union... You gave the world Linux.

Your GDP is roughly $225 Billion, nice... we have 25 states with a higher GDP, hell, Arkansas has half your GDP.
Hey, but Finland also gave us the Rapela.

(Beautiful country, by the way. One of the few places I'd actually consider leaving the US to move to.)

So, genuine question, did I miss a post where he was being a genuine jerk or did he just post a pet peeve about not so great dining experiences?

I doubt if anyone would describe an incident that would make them look like a genuine jerk. It was more of a general vibe/attitude I was picking up on his posts. Go back a page or two and I quoted them all. The sum of the parts was getting to me.

FWIW based on the feedback on this page of the thread, I'll try to stop thinking of people who complain to managers as whiny a$$holes and entertain the notion that they think they are trying to help. It will be hard because I've always hated the "complain to the manager" type of person (and I am a manager myself) but I will really try.

I think it's because I've never seen someone politely complain to a manager, myself or otherwise. They are universally d!cks about it and seem more concerned with getting their way (and a refund) than helping make a business better.

THAT is my pet peeve

BTW - I make it a point to tell the manager the food and service was good or excellent on my way out. If not the manager, then the host or hostess. Then I say good night or whatever is appropriate.

It makes both parties feel good to say or hear that.

You have a problem with complementing the manager?

First...

North America = continent
South America = completely different continent

There are no two continents collectively called America. I don't have any problem with someone from South America identifying as American. Let's be honest though, when someone from another part of the world is ranting about an a$$hole American, do you assume he means someone from Columbia or Mexico or Canada? No, they are obviously talking about someone from the US.

Now, my pet peeve. It frustrates the hell out me when, in posts, people use "read" instead of "re". Like I was brewing a real hoppy beer (read IPA).... I don't even think re is correct to use, I think it should be i.e., but I'm not a grammer nazi so that part doesn't really bother me all that much.

Right. If you're from Brazil, you say you are Brazilian. Canadians are from Canada. Americans are from America.

First...

Now, my pet peeve. It frustrates the hell out me when, in posts, people use "read" instead of "re". Like I was brewing a real hoppy beer (read IPA).... I don't even think re is correct to use, I think it should be i.e., but I'm not a grammer nazi so that part doesn't really bother me all that much.

I think "read" is correctly used in that context. Re would not be appropriate since it is short for regarding and that doesn't work.

It may be stilted sentance structure to use read, but it is correct.

First...

North America = continent
South America = completely different continent

There are no two continents collectively called America. I don't have any problem with someone from South America identifying as American. Let's be honest though, when someone from another part of the world is ranting about an a$$hole American, do you assume he means someone from Columbia or Mexico or Canada? No, they are obviously talking about someone from the US.

"Re" and "read are two different animals and are not interchangeable. The former is shorthand for the Latin "in re," meaning "in the matter of." "Read" is just being used similarly to "i.e," meaning "that is."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back