This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was midnight on the sea,
the band was playin' "Nearer My God To Thee"
Fare thee well Titanic,
fare thee well.

titanic-skeletons.jpg

The Jackholes that are too inconsiderate to use recycling dumpsters correctly.

First off, break your damn boxes down so there is room for more cardboard than only yours.

Secondly, if the dumpster is full, don't just dump your crap along side. Take it back to your house and make another trip to dump it off later. You know damn well the guy driving the truck to pick up the dumpster isn't going to chase your crap all over the parking lot. Why is it better to have somebody else pick up your trash than to make the effort to get it in an empty dumpster?

Inconsiderate a--holes.

Just read this and have to add that the younger gen are really bad with this if my daughter's college apt complex is any future indication of things to come. Overflowing dumpster on one end, trash all around on ground (broken glass everywhere) and piled high. 5' behind on back side of SAME dumpster, open hatch, and virtually empty! 5 friggin feet. Unbelievable. And very nice townhouse setup with newly paved lot. Ugh. I must be old, I recall putting trash in dumpster not just wherever. (If it's any consolation, was on move in day and since has been better). But still....and don't even ask about recycling

The Jackholes that are too inconsiderate to use recycling dumpsters correctly.

First off, break your damn boxes down so there is room for more cardboard than only yours.

Secondly, if the dumpster is full, don't just dump your crap along side. Take it back to your house and make another trip to dump it off later. You know damn well the guy driving the truck to pick up the dumpster isn't going to chase your crap all over the parking lot. Why is it better to have somebody else pick up your trash than to make the effort to get it in an empty dumpster?

Inconsiderate a--holes.

In common note.....

I live in an apartment where we have a common outdoor balcony entrance. I'm on the 3rd floor.

I hate it when my neighbors on either side of me put their garbage just outside their front door. They should take it down to the damn dumpsters. I don't like walking around their trash and seeing dirty diapers. Focking Pigs.

Last winter I saw a rabid raccoon digging through their trash. The damn thing hissed at me as I walked by with a laundry basket. It about made me $hit myself as if was fairly late in the evening.

Lazy Fokers.

Another peeve.....Bicyclists who don't follow rules of the road, while on the road. Maybe they think "I'm moving slower than most traffic, so I don't need to stop at stop signs or red lights." They act like they are pedestrians.

Fockers....

The particular instance I see is I'm at a stop sign, and the cyclist blows past me on my right. What if I stop then start to turn right and take his a$$ out as he attempts pass me. My luck I'd probably be at fault.

Most of the time its guys.

Jackass Landlords really annoy me too,

My landlord tried to bill me and two other residents for 1.8M gallons of water used in 61 days.

It's not feasibly possible with one dripping faucet.

Edit. Removed two page post....

People who don't recycle, especially when it's as easy as putting your stuff in another bin. Seriously if it's that easy, there's no reason not to do it.

While we're at it, litter. I'm talking about people who finish their burger while driving down the interstate (another issue for another time), and just toss the wrapper out the window. Your garbage shouldn't be everyone else's problem, and it's not that hard to clean up after yourself.

I hate when people say "to where." As in, "let's do something this way, to where we can achieve this"

That reminds me of another one: "Speaks to." As in:

"The magnitude of the market volatility really speaks to the nervousness of investors."

That one really grates on me. There are so many better alternatives. Illustrates, demonstrates, exemplifies, highlights, etc. Nobody is "speaking to" anything, how did this turn of phrase become so popular?

I've never complained at a restaurant. If I don't like it, I just don't go back.

I'm always afraid to complain. Food has to be pretty messed up for me to risk upsetting the kitchen staff and ending up with a loogie-burger.

The last (only?) time I complained and actually sent food back was because there was broken glass in my wife's french fries. The manager brought her a new plate (10 minutes later, after the rest of us were pretty much done our meals). No apology, no complimentary anything, just "You want new plate?"

Haven't been back since.

Was reminded of a new peeve yesterday.

I went to the community mailbox for our street, and one of my neighbors was there at the same time. He had opened his mailbox, and was taking all the "junk mail" (postcards and coupon booklets for local realtors and restaurants, that sort of thing) and shoving them into the "outgoing" mail slot. As it happened, I was there to mail a letter (a cheque to our tax agency, actually).

I understand that people don't like getting junk mail, and they think they're "sticking to the man" by shoving it back in the outgoing mail slot. But as someone who was there to actually mail a pretty important letter, it occurred to me that my letter might get buried in that junk mail, and thrown out instead of making to the tax man. Someone somewhere has to sort through the crap and filter out the junk mail from the legit mail, and humans make mistakes.

Why can't people just do what I do and throw the "junk" mail directly into your recycling bin, instead of making some sort of "statement" that jeopardizes the legitimate mail of your own neighbors?

Jackass Landlords really annoy me too, sent this to them today....

Attention Property Manager & Owner,

My last scumbag landlord was the reason I bought a condo and decided to deal with a mortgage. At least yours didn't break into your apartment unannounced and steal your pain medication. Which I kinda needed at the time just having started being able to stand again

Leaving my damn phone at home and not realizing it until you have to clock in at work. I use it to help me keep track of my breaks, and of course like most to fill in the void at down times. Plus who if something was to happen...who the hell remembers anyone's number anymore.

"The magnitude of the market volatility really speaks to the nervousness of investors."

That one really grates on me. There are so many better alternatives. Illustrates, demonstrates, exemplifies, highlights, etc. Nobody is "speaking to" anything, how did this turn of phrase become so popular?

Because you can't use it like that.

The nervousness of the investors really speaks to the magnitude of the market volatility.

There, fixed it for you.

Because you can't use it like that.

The nervousness of the investors really speaks to the magnitude of the market volatility.

There, fixed it for you.

I must be missing something. I see it used the way I used it all the time, but your way makes no sense to me. Your way appears to erroneously invert the cause/effect relationship of the expression.

I must be missing something. I see it used the way I used it all the time, but your way makes no sense to me. Your way appears to erroneously invert the cause/effect relationship of the expression.

Nope, the average misuser of this idiom erroneously inverts the cause/effect relationship. "speaks to" means to indicate, address, or signal something.

The nervousness of the investors really "indicates / addresses / signals" the magnitude of the market volatility.

Drivers in San Diego when it rains. Ive lived here my whole life, how come I can drive in the rain but you cant? Yes we got a lot of rain yesterday but its no different than driving when its dry, just slow down a little, not all the way :mad:

What really annoys me?

When people write TL;DR essay-sized posts in discussion forums / FB and expect that somebody is going to read them.

Friggin head colds. At least I got through the holiday season without a cold or cough or respiratory infection...

FYI I'm kind of high right now on Pseudoephederine and Diphenhydramine. And coffee.

what's the opposite of a pet peeve?

because that's what Wegman's is.

awesome variety of beer, an incredible selection of various gourmet cheeses, 2, yes, that is TWO deli sections, a butcher, baker, but no candlestick maker.

plus pizza, wings and pepper shooters (prosciutto-wrapped provolone, stuffed into a cherry pepper.. firkin YUM)

we have TWO in our neighborhood. you're allowed to be jealous

I read that he was shot, Ill look through my books but I am pretty sure it was a bullet.

He just died in 2002, little guy too, 5'3"!

From Wikipedia(So it has to be correct, right?)

On March 30, 2005, Hedberg was found dead in a hotel room in Livingston, New Jersey.[12] He was 37 years old. Hedberg was born with a heart defect for which he received extensive treatment as a child.[1][13] It was initially speculated that this condition may have played a part in his death, but the New Jersey medical examiner's office reported "multiple drug toxicity" in the form of cocaine and heroin as the cause.[1]

Diamond commercials on the radio... I don't fully understand my dislike for them, but I sure do dislike them.

How do you turn a phrase?

:p

Ha! I love that one. Whenever one of my friends utters that trite truism, I can't help myself and reflexively reply, "Well it's certainly not what it isn't, I can tell you that."

My response? "No ****!"

:mug:

What really annoys me?

When people write TL;DR essay-sized posts in discussion forums / FB and expect that somebody is going to read them.

Sorry. I assume you were thinking of me. Revised it to a little more than a few sentences.

Ain't got no Facebook. Ain't got no Facebook peeves.

I find ugly drunk mug book here to be much better. :tank:

Another pet peeve - people who try a recipe, either don't like it or made it wrong, then come into the recipe thread and crap all over it.

If you don't like it, shut yer pie-hole and just don't put up post after post about it there.

If you made it wrong, don't take your frustrations out on us, it's your fault.

To make things peeve-ier, it's always nice for that Adam Henry to come back and insult the people who try to tell you the things I said above, just nice-like.

What really annoys me?

People who respond to stuff online with "tl;dr" annoy me.

After all, if you can't take the tone to read it, why comment at all?

But, I'm also thankful that they're quickly informing me that they're intellectually shallow people. That knowledge comes in handy later.

Another stupid Pet Peeve I have is about speach, is somebody saying, " I'm 1000% confident or I'm 500% certain......" any ******** that's something like this.

Really, is that any more convincing than saying I'm 100% confident or 100% certain?

If they say anything more than 100% they are probably fricking lying. Literally how is it possible.

People who respond to stuff online with "tl;dr" annoy me.

After all, if you can't take the tone to read it, why comment at all?

But, I'm also thankful that they're quickly informing me that they're intellectually shallow people. That knowledge comes in handy later.

An addendum: when what they thought was too long to read is two short paragraphs that takes 30-45 seconds to read. At most.

Because a percentage is a ratio.

Yeah I know. It's not about the math. 100% = 1.00, so 1000% = 10.

a 1000% is no more convincing than 100% or any better for that matter.

You take a test. Can you get a 1000% correct?

1000% of the people polled said they'd vote for Donald Trump in the republican primary. Vote early, vote often.

What percentage of the time do you drive home from the bar after you had too much to drink? Only about 1000% of the times. The rest of the time I walk or call a cab.

LOL

When artists have an "album only" song. I realize sometimes it has to do with licensing, but not always. If its album only, I don't buy it. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back