This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt if anyone would describe an incident that would make them look like a genuine jerk. It was more of a general vibe/attitude I was picking up on his posts. Go back a page or two and I quoted them all. The sum of the parts was getting to me.

FWIW based on the feedback on this page of the thread, I'll try to stop thinking of people who complain to managers as whiny a$$holes and entertain the notion that they think they are trying to help. It will be hard because I've always hated the "complain to the manager" type of person (and I am a manager myself) but I will really try.

I think it's because I've never seen someone politely complain to a manager, myself or otherwise. They are universally d!cks about it and seem more concerned with getting their way (and a refund) than helping make a business better.

THAT is my pet peeve

sudbuddy,

I spent four years in the US Marines, then went to Purdue as an engineering student. If you know either, both institutions combined tend to foment in a person; cockiness, arrogance, crassness, stubbornness, rigidity to a fault, and being pretty obnoxious for effect. Then taking joy in that achievement.

I try to temper that. It won't fly with my wife, at work, and I don't want to throw down at a bar or be asked to leave a restaurant. Online it's kinda different.

Out of curiosity what kind of business do you manage?

I'm trying to understand your clients and why you think the way you do.

Haha. I knew re wasn't right yet it wouldn't bother me if people used that. Something with read didn't look right and it bothered me. I couldn't find this usage for read when I first looked it up, thanks guys.

I amend my peeve, I don't like this usge of the word "read". Something about it just rubs me the wrong way. I prefer "i.e.".

I doubt if anyone would describe an incident that would make them look like a genuine jerk. It was more of a general vibe/attitude I was picking up on his posts. Go back a page or two and I quoted them all. The sum of the parts was getting to me.

FWIW based on the feedback on this page of the thread, I'll try to stop thinking of people who complain to managers as whiny a$$holes and entertain the notion that they think they are trying to help. It will be hard because I've always hated the "complain to the manager" type of person (and I am a manager myself) but I will really try.

I think it's because I've never seen someone politely complain to a manager, myself or otherwise. They are universally d!cks about it and seem more concerned with getting their way (and a refund) than helping make a business better.

THAT is my pet peeve

I guess that's the difference: I don't see people that give feedback (positive or negative) as universally anything. Don't get me wrong, those people you're describing totally exist and if you are a manager I get why it would be a big deal for you, but that didn't sound at all like what was being discussed to me, and I did read those posts.

For example, I worked at a local bingo game through college for some extra gas money. Think of every stereotype you can possibly imagine about old people playing bingo and you could probably find most in that hall. There were absolutely people there that would complain about everything (like claim that the house was cheating, etc), especially if they were hemorrhaging money left and right. We had to put on a smiling face and pretend to care. Those are the people you're talking about and I agree, they suck.

But, when I first started (literally the first night I was there), a woman made it known that I made a mistake (didn't bring her tickets when she flagged me down). It was cordial and not yelling and screaming, but she made it clear she was super pissed. Frankly I thought she was a ***** for the first few nights but I didn't make that same mistake again, and started getting tipped better as a result. She probably wasn't trying to make it a better workplace experience for me, she just wanted her tickets. She did bring it to my attention and I adapted. I think that's the point trying to be made. If there's a problem, it ought to be addressed lest it fester and get to be a bigger problem than necessary.

...and now you've made me relive the horror of working bingo. My pet peeve is being handed a sweaty $5 from a saggy woman's bra. In what world is that ok!?

I work in a restaurant company's corporate office (small company, only 6 restaurants scattered across the state). I get customer call-ins from time to time, almost always complaints. I think we've received a call-in compliment twice in the years I've been here.

Sometimes the calls ARE constructive. "We noticed something we didn't like, so we just wanted to call someone in upper-management and let them know so they can improve things" kind of calls.

These are sadly rare though. Most of the time, the caller is immediately hostile, and treats me like I personally came over to their house and set their beloved family pet on fire. There is no consoling them; they just want to yell, and curse, and abuse, and tell me how they are never coming back to our establishment in one breath and in the next demand compensation in the form of gift cards to our restaurant or free meal coupons. These guys are jackasses and seem to be the majority of what I deal with.

And these kind of people usually end their calls just as unhappy as when they started. If I make a reasonable effort to make things right for you and you STILL insist on being abusive and angry, my desire to help dissipates quickly. Business is good and we don't need your custom that badly.

Granted, calls are only escalated to me when the customer is still not happy after dealing with a store's general manager. Most "reasonable" people are satisfied after dealing with the local manager. So naturally there's some kind of selection-bias built in here. But it has kind of put a bad taste in my mouth towards the "I want to speak to the manager" types. You wouldn't believe some of the stupid **** people call in to complain about.

I've never complained at a restaurant. If I don't like it, I just don't go back.

If I have a really good experience at a restaurant, I will sometimes ask to talk to a manager (which kind of freaks out the server at first). I'll tell the manager what I really liked about the server, the meal, and the overall service. Too few people do this, and I think it's important to let them know when they hit the mark.

OTOH, if something goes wrong, I always bring it up with the server. Cold food, wrong order, whatever. People make mistakes. The issue always gets fixed and then everybody's cool. No need to be dickish, I just give the person a heads-up. I never see the need to bring management into it.

It's the old joke....

Q. What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?
A. Trilingual

Q. What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?
A. Bilingual

Q. What do you call someone who only speaks one language?
A. American

:D

That's not even true, because a whole lot of Americans are bilingual. It's the USA people who don't usually care to learn another language.

Hint, for those who skipped the 4th grade geography lessons, America stretches from Puerto Navarino, Chile all the way up to Alert, Canada. People from Argentina are just as much Americans as people from Moldova are Europeans.

That's a bit of a pet peeve for me, and that's why I always refer to US citizens as "USA people". The label "USA:ns" would sound sort of stupid, but they definitely do not own the generic claim to the label "American" any more than the French would own the generic claim to the label "European".

I know an Argentinean woman who runs a local fish counter. I was standing in line one day and she asked a customer where he was from. He replied "America". She told him with a big smile "Me, too! I'm an American, too!".

The reminds me. Insufferable pedantry takes all the fun out of jokes. :D

So, getting back to pet peeves. How about those people from insignificant countries who want to get all uppity?

Finland? You've got a population of about 6 million... We have CITIES with more people than that.

We built the bomb, sent men to the moon, won WW's 1 and 2, collapsed the Soviet Union... You gave the world Linux.

Your GDP is roughly $225 Billion, nice... we have 25 states with a higher GDP, hell, Arkansas has half your GDP.

Or much like the sports analogy, how about people who use the term "we" to describe things done in their country like they actually had a hand in them? :D

Did *you* work on the Manhattan project? Did *you* fight in WWI or WWII--or were you even alive to pay the taxes that supported the war efforts? Did *you* work for NASA or the other associated space race industrial suppliers?

Remember, if you're going to take credit for all the good stuff that's been done in this country (both in history and today), doesn't that mean that you also share the blame for the horrific crap "we've" done as well?

You have a problem with complementing the manager?

NOPE!! As long as it isn't preceded by a bunch of whiny b!tching.

Always mention a job well done. Forgive the times that aren't perfect. Realize that your expectations and their reality are two separate things.

So the waiter committed the cardinal sin of bringing you food out of order. He's still bringing you some food to eat.

Be grateful dude. You have a life where people do that. Don't ruin it by being an ******* and complaining to their boss so you get a free meal and their kids go hungry.

Demanding that dollars are taken off your tab because the food you paid someone else to make came in an order you deem unworthy is the epitome of entitlement. I'm done with this. F*ck off

sudbuddy,

I spent four years in the US Marines, then went to Purdue as an engineering student. If you know either, both institutions combined tend to foment in a person; cockiness, arrogance, crassness, stubbornness, rigidity to a fault, and being pretty obnoxious for effect. Then taking joy in that achievement.

I try to temper that. It won't fly with my wife, at work, and I don't want to throw down at a bar or be asked to leave a restaurant. Online it's kinda different.

Out of curiosity what kind of business do you manage?

I'm trying to understand your clients and why you think you do.

I'm sorry, I just saw this post after my last response.

First off, thank you for your service. It's heroes like you that make this country great.

Ironically, I manage a homebrew shop and my customers are universally awesome so I rarely have complaints.

Prior to that I worked in various other sectors of retail and met the worst possible people on a day to day basis. I also waited tables in my spare time, and when the ******** I dealt with in my real job got to the trough they got a lot worse. Hence my apprehension of anyone who wants to "speak" to the manager.

Of course it's different online. Luckily HBT is a place where we tend to be able to have these sorts of discussions without going full blown troll. That said, I apologize for telling you to "f*ck off" in my last post. It was poor timing and judgment on my part, and frankly, it was very rude. I'm sorry

We built the bomb, sent men to the moon, won WW's 1 and 2, collapsed the Soviet Union...

That's kind of cute thinking, really :)

The Soviet Union was collapsed by Gorbachev, regardless of how much Thatcher and Reagan liked to stand on their soapboxes and claim responsibility. They collapsed due to a failed economic model, nothing more, nothing less.

In 1939, Finland (a country that, at the time, had a population slightly larger than Chicago) fought a war against the Soviet Union (an entity that was 30% larger than the USA at the time) and forced it's military into submission - without help from any other country in the world. Reigning terror against them with the help of a sniper who worked without a scope or a spotter - and who has more confirmed kills than any other sniper in history. Uppity, indeed...

Nobody was ever the winner of any war, and it is 100% understood that the USA could not have defeated the Nazis on their own. Thanks for the help, though. Finland paid you back entirely and no other country in the world can say that.

But on to the pet peeves - if a country the size of the USA still can't manage to produce a decent fishing lure, then you could at least learn how to spell Rapala :mug::mug:

I'm going to have a beer.

Or much like the sports analogy, how about people who use the term "we" to describe things done in their country like they actually had a hand in them? :D

Did *you* work on the Manhattan project? Did *you* fight in WWI or WWII--or were you even alive to pay the taxes that supported the war efforts? Did *you* work for NASA or the other associated space race industrial suppliers?

Remember, if you're going to take credit for all the good stuff that's been done in this country (both in history and today), doesn't that mean that you also share the blame for the horrific crap "we've" done as well?

Was pods skiing through a forest with a rifle in 1939? What the hell have you contributed to society?

Another Marine here, so to keep this about pet peeves let me add p&ssy little b!tches who rise and sleep under the blanket of protection that I provided and then want me to list my contributions.

If I have never said this before:

To all of those that serve in the military, I thank you. You do something I could not. If I am a ***** little b!tch for that, I accept it with grace & humility. I really do appreciate you doing something I could not.

Sorry for the O/T post.

I have a few... To start...

I worked in retail for 7 years, specifically a bicycle shop. So two pet peeves from that are 1. Black Friday shoppers. They could vanish from the earth for all I care. And 2. People who don't properly plan. If you have a big race, don't want til 2 days before and think I'm going to fix your bike for you. Your lack of planning does not constitute and emergency on my part.

Also (I happened to be talking about this with family this week), I refereed soccer in high school and college. Good money, but it made me realize how much I hate every sports parent ever. And this one always cracked me up... Girls soccer game. Girl has ear piercings. I tell her she can't play with them as its a danger to her and other players. Her parents get pissed because she just had them pierced and they'll "close up". Maybe don't get them pierced during soccer season?

Ooh and another one... Lose vs loose. Your favorite football team cannot loose a game, nor can they tighten it. Learn the difference

/rant

Edit: insomnia is also suddenly revealing itself as a pet peeve as well.

I have a few... To start...

Ooh and another one... Lose vs loose. Your favorite football team cannot loose a game, nor can they tighten it. Learn the difference

This is the one that drives me the most crazy. To me it's much worse than the There/Their/They're mistake. There/Their/They're at least all sound the same, so my brain can ignore the error. But I can't read loose and hear the word lose in my head, so this error sticks out like a sore thumb.

I try not to be a grammar nazi, so I seldom post about it, and I realize that it can happen accidentally. But when I see it more than once in the same post, or multiple posts from the same user, I know it's not a typo.

My other pet peeve is people in the left turn lane who wait for the person in front of them to completely clear the intersection before they start to make their turn when they have a green arrow. That green arrow means that you have the right of way; use it! The rest of us would like to make this turn during this same light cycle.

I'm sorry, I just saw this post after my last response.

First off, thank you for your service. It's heroes like you that make this country great.

Ironically, I manage a homebrew shop and my customers are universally awesome so I rarely have complaints.

Prior to that I worked in various other sectors of retail and met the worst possible people on a day to day basis. I also waited tables in my spare time, and when the ******** I dealt with in my real job got to the trough they got a lot worse. Hence my apprehension of anyone who wants to "speak" to the manager.

Of course it's different online. Luckily HBT is a place where we tend to be able to have these sorts of discussions without going full blown troll. That said, I apologize for telling you to "f*ck off" in my last post. It was poor timing and judgment on my part, and frankly, it was very rude. I'm sorry

No problem. Appreciate the fact that you apologized. In the last line telling me FO made me laugh. Thinking here we go again.

I'll remember this thread the next I think to complain. Frankly, in the past it's not been very often. 99% of the time I leave pretty satisfied. Like I said, I let them know it. It's nice to hear it.

Complaining and getting free $hit, that's my 78 year old father in law. Not me. His intent is to always to get comped somehow and he brags about it. Ironically, who is also a Marine, but in the 1950s. He's totally about the free $hit. Taking the shampoo at the hotel and even the extra coffee grounds and getting every free food sample at Sam's and Costco. It's laughable, even if he doesn't like it. He takes it because it's free. Makes no sense. LOL

The Soviet Union was collapsed by Gorbachev, regardless of how much Thatcher and Reagan liked to stand on their soapboxes and claim responsibility. They collapsed due to a failed economic model, nothing more, nothing less.

In 1939, Finland (a country that, at the time, had a population slightly larger than Chicago) fought a war against the Soviet Union (an entity that was 30% larger than the USA at the time) and forced it's military into submission - without help from any other country in the world. Reigning terror against them with the help of a sniper who worked without a scope or a spotter - and who has more confirmed kills than any other sniper in history. Uppity, indeed...

Nobody was ever the winner of any war, and it is 100% understood that the USA could not have defeated the Nazis on their own. Thanks for the help, though. Finland paid you back entirely and no other country in the world can say that.

But on to the pet peeves - if a country the size of the USA still can't manage to produce a decent fishing lure, then you could at least learn how to spell Rapala :mug::mug:

I'm going to have a beer.

Meet Simo, aka "White Death," the sniper who racked up over 500 confirmed kills of Soviet troops, using a 5-shot bolt-action rifle. The guy had a big set of brass ones.

Simo_hayha_honorary_rifle.jpg

This cracked me up! :D

The Jackholes that are too inconsiderate to use recycling dumpsters correctly.

First off, break your damn boxes down so there is room for more cardboard than only yours.

Secondly, if the dumpster is full, don't just dump your crap along side. Take it back to your house and make another trip to dump it off later. You know damn well the guy driving the truck to pick up the dumpster isn't going to chase your crap all over the parking lot. Why is it better to have somebody else pick up your trash than to make the effort to get it in an empty dumpster?

Inconsiderate a--holes.

First off, break your damn boxes down so there is room for more cardboard than only yours.

Secondly, if the dumpster is full, don't just dump your crap along side. Take it back to your house and make another trip to dump it off later. You know damn well the guy driving the truck to pick up the dumpster isn't going to chase your crap all over the parking lot. Why is it better to have somebody else pick up your trash than to make the effort to get it in an empty dumpster?

Inconsiderate a--holes.

I second this

Inconsiderate a--holes.

That, and people who don't bag their garbage before putting it in their curbside bin. Murphy's Law says the winds will always be strongest on garbage collection day, and I get everyone else's trash blowing through my yard.

Meet Simo, aka "White Death," the sniper who racked up over 500 confirmed kills of Soviet troops, using a 5-shot bolt-action rifle. The guy had a big set of brass ones.

Simo_hayha_honorary_rifle.jpg

And never used a scope...

He took out another 200 of them in a single sitting with a submachine gun, but they didn't count that because it wasn't a sniper rifle.

There's a moving coming out next year - The White Death.

And never used a scope...

He took out another 200 of them in a single sitting with a submachine gun, but they didn't count that because it wasn't a sniper rifle.

There's a moving coming out next year - The White Death.

What a badass. I'm going to spend some company time researching him today

when we visited Kotka many years ago, we toured a battlefield near the Russian border where the Finns beat back the invading Cossacks.

Very impressive

He had half his face blown off by a bomb and that was the only way they could stop him

He had half his face blown off by a bomb and that was the only way they could stop him

I read that he was shot, Ill look through my books but I am pretty sure it was a bullet.

He just died in 2002, little guy too, 5'3"!

I read that he was shot, Ill look through my books but I am pretty sure it was a bullet.

He just died in 2002, little guy too, 5'3"!

:off:

Both. He got shot in the face with an exploding bullet - and still killed the sniper who shot him before going into a coma.

On the Eastern Front during World War II, both German and Russian snipers were officially authorized to use explosive spotter-type rifle ammunition (B-Patrone for Germans, PZ for Russians) on human targets. The projectiles in the ammunition contain a charge of highly reactive phosphorus and a priming compound, and explode on impact.

:off:

Both. He got shot in the face with an exploding bullet - and still killed the sniper who shot him before going into a coma.

That's floccing badass! My grandpa took out a whole patrol of Japanese troops on Luzon after getting shot in the leg so I've got a whole new level of respect for the White Death now

true war story, Desert Storm, somewhere in the Persian Gulf

radio: confirm NREH (our callsign) you are at coordinates (blah blah) in UMA1
NREH: confirm coordinates (blah blah) in UMA1, aye
radio: confirm NREH you realize UMA1 stands for Underwater Mine Area 1
NREH:...
radio: recommend NREH you follow exact opposite course until clear UMA1

true war story, Desert Storm, somewhere in the Persian Gulf

radio: confirm NREH (our callsign) you are at coordinates (blah blah) in UMA1
NREH: confirm coordinates (blah blah) in UMA1, aye
radio: confirm NREH you realize UMA1 stands for Underwater Mine Area 1
NREH:...
radio: recommend NREH you follow exact opposite course until clear UMA1

Dang dude thats intense. What kind of ship were you on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back