Them's fightin' words!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I'm in strong disagreement with most people here, but I don't think it's possible for people who like a beer that bitter to usually recognize a good beer.

You are perfectly within your right to enjoy them. Go ahead (I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't), but I don't see the point in licking a pine cone or drinking something that taste as gross as a grapefruit. Way too bitter.

Definitely adamantly against them, especially when you just throw every hop type you got into it, just as when you throw 1 or 2 bittering hops in giant portions.

Just as I don't want my spaghetti swimming in parmesan cheese (or I'd just go get the cheese and eat it alone), I don't want my beer overwhelmingly bitter, especially AIPA. Terrible revision of an IPA. An IPA by definition is an unbalanced flavor profile IMHO.

I have been over IPA's for a long time. Thin, hop heavy beers without a malt backbone are not my thing. Don't even get me started on "session" IPA's

To each his/her own. That is the beauty of brewing.

That article is dead nuts true and accurate. I've been saying the very same things for years!

IPA's have gone from a hoppy nice beer style, to turpentine and tar flavored pseudo-liquid fad, where there is no hope of tasting anything else for the following 60 minutes. If there is actually any malt in them, there's no way in hell to taste or smell it.

It's very common now to buy a flight at a brew pub and find that most of the offerings are 45 IBU and higher no matter the style, color or name.

To each their own, that's the great thing with beer, lots and lots of choices. I like IPAs, so much that I'd say 90%+ of what I brew and drink are IPAs. Hops are good, more hops are better. :)

Some people have more taste buds and are sensitive to bitter stuff like broccoli, whiskey and high IBUs. They are called super tasters. They can't help that they can't handle cale or IPAs. I'm just happy I'm not a super taste and will continue to purr like a cat when I pours my next IIPA.

But also, isn't the trend more towards more hop aroma rather than towards higher IBU? Think NEIPA...

Not a fan of regular IPAs, but IIPA or NEIPA with a strong enough malt backbone and some body...those are fine.

Some brewers can get go a little overboard with hopping ipas thats true but I dont understand what the dude said about people pretending to like IPA's, its a silly thing to say..Who ever pretended to enjoy a Maine Lunch? luckily there are beer styles to fit every palate...you are not a fan of IPA gotcha

Anybody wanna trade for BrokeAss Stu? Shtick is old around here. Let him run for mayor of your town!!

Love IPAs. I brew about 80% IPAs. All my friends love IPAs. We aren’t drinking them just because it’s a “trend”. That’s dumb

I don’t care for malty ass Brit beers

Best comment underneath that article right here:

Utter codswollop written by someone who does not know what they're talking about. "I’m asking you to stand up and demand good tasting beer." And I'm asking you to stand up and demand quality journalism. Get off your ass and go to some of the Bay Area's fine local breweries and tap/tasting rooms and try some delicious IPA that is not made with "eleventy kinds of hops" but with just a few (or even just one - ever heard of a single-hop IPA?) that are as delicious and well-balanced as the (IMO tired, boring and outdated) Lagunitas and Racer 5 you like. What's a quintuple IPA? It doesn't exist. Ever been to Cellarmaker or Barebottle? Or tried Moonraker or Fieldwork (or a gazillion other breweries)? They are all using hops for flavor and not mere bitterness. There was a trend toward hop bombs some years ago but it has since been replaced with flavor-forward IPAs. This piece is as outdated, behind the times, not reflective of what is happening on the local/west/east coast beer scene and indicative of someone who hasn't done their research due most probably to laziness, apathy and/or dislike of the style. If you don't like IPAs that's fine (not everyone does) but what you've written about them is poor and inaccurate.

Although I will say, there definitely is quintuple IPAs out there....lol

I love IPAs. (Not all of them)
Not because it's a trend, my natural inclination is to oppose trends. (I'm not saying that's a virtue)
I dismiss the writer as quickly as anyone else who tells me what I do and don't like.

I really detest highly bitter IPAs. I can understand that some may like them, and that's fine, but to me they taste like something trying to remove a layer of teeth enamel.

Now, if you take an IPA, back off on the initial bittering additions a bit, and focus most of the hop additions as late additions or dry hop, then that's a different deal. I like hop flavor and aroma, (unless it's Mosaic!!), and those are the kinds of IPAs I like.

But if forced to choose, I'd take a maltier beer before most IPAs.

People like what they like. No harm in that.

If you don't like malt, why not just boil hops in some water, add some everclear to the desired ABV, carbonate and drink? Maybe steep a little crystal for color (do hop-heads care about color?). Seams like a waste of time and money to mash, boil and ferment all that grain, just to completely overpower all flavors with hop oil.

LOL I like this thread. It's like a Ford/Chevy discussion.

Now, if you take an IPA, back off on the initial bittering additions a bit, and focus most of the hop additions as late additions or dry hop, then that's a different deal. I like hop flavor and aroma, (unless it's Mosaic!!), and those are the kinds of IPAs I like.

Then you would love this:

559BBF29-70E8-43E9-821E-C4AD8C3DC957.jpg

Well, the first time I had an IPA I didn't even know " I was supposed to like them." I just enjoyed it. But not every IPA I've had did I enjoy.
I drink beer the same way I select music - I like variety and my mood influences my choice.

I want to know how the OP of that story thinks IPA's get you drunk faster. Or am I the only one that caught that BS line.

he was talking about a quintuple IPA. Typically as double IPA has between 7-9% abv, a triple has above 10% abv, so while I disagree with the author I think he was stating a quintuple IPA would have even more alcohol.

If you don't like malt, why not just boil hops in some water, add some everclear to the desired ABV, carbonate and drink? Maybe steep a little crystal for color (do hop-heads care about color?). Seams like a waste of time and money to mash, boil and ferment all that grain, just to completely overpower all flavors with hop oil.

I agree completely! If you like hops that much and want almost zero malt flavor, why not just do as you suggest? Seems easier than going through the difficulty of mashing all that grain just to suppress its flavor to essentially a hop tonic. Makes zero sense to me.

All in all, it's your money/time. I believe everyone has the right to not care what other people think.

Good political/social advice, don't enforce your opinion on others. Just provide an environment for people to do as they wish, as long as they aren't harming others.

All I am saying is: IPA's are gross and imbalanced. I see no point in making them. I've yet to meet a person in person who's said I love a good IPA. They've all said that I don't see the point in eating a pine tree. They all realize the imbalance the IPA flavor profile has, but it's yours to choose as you wish. I just don't see the point.

All I am saying is: IPA's are gross and imbalanced. I see no point in making them. I've yet to meet a person in person who's said I love a good IPA. They've all said that I don't see the point in eating a pine tree. They all realize the imbalance the IPA flavor profile has, but it's yours to choose as you wish. I just don't see the point.

Some like the icing, some like the cake. Most will agree that you need both for balance, but some people would scrap the pan for more icing. IPAs are no different.

IPAs are nice when done well. I dont need 200 ibus but i enjoy a hop punch every now and then.

I just wont be going out and getting a "Super Cascade" tramp stamp any time soon.

They are expensive to brew, though.

It's the same argument against drinkers that enjoy BMC. But many IPA elitists don't have a problem putting those people down. ;)

When it comes to personal preference...

who.jpg

Back