Did I give my dog a yeast infection?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only just started brewing again about 2 months ago. About 1 month ago, my dog caught some sort of infection on his belly. Welp the vet just confirmed its a yeast infection. She didn’t laugh when I asked lager or ale lol.

What do you think?

I was wondering whether this thread belonged in DRMM...

But seriously, I had never heard of a yeast infection on skin (or in hair/fur). There's athlete's foot and stuff, but on dogs?

This may explain:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-...sezia dermatitis,or inflammation of the skin.
How could your dog have attracted it? That, so you can try to prevent it from happening again.
The vet actually asked if I bake bread in the house. She said he has two sections of loose skin under his legs that are always going to be susceptible to yeast infections because of moisture buildup. I’m going to keep him away during brew day just in case that’s really it.

I only just started brewing again about 2 months ago. About 1 month ago, my dog caught some sort of infection on his belly. Welp the vet just confirmed its a yeast infection. She didn’t laugh when I asked lager or ale lol.

What do you think?

What kind of yeast? I always understood the most common form of fungal dermatitis is caused by Malassezia pachydermatis in dogs, and Saccharomyces is incapable of causing any such problems. But I'm no vet.

So unless you're doing some kind of very funky wild fermentation, I don't think your brewing is the cause. But if the vet took a swab, they probably have a good idea of what you're dealing with. I'd ask for more details about what was found.

Yeah, it's definitely not a yeast infection from brewing yeast...however if you brew indoors without any ventilation...could some of the moisture in the air cause some dampness on the dog...maybe, but seems highly unlikely...it's probably more from the dog licking himself and getting wet in the rain, and then that area trapping the moisture inside. I mean think about it, women get yeast infections...it's not from them brewing or having a family member who does, right?

How do you think the dog ingested yeast?
Not ingesting, on his skin. Apparently brewer’s yeast can’t cause the infection, but I was concerned with it being in the air and or rubbing against equipment before I clean.

Hops aren’t microscopic so I’m not worried about that. I keep the hops up high until they’re put in the kettle.

This thread really did help. @IslandLizard many thanks for that article. I have a dog who has been gnawing and scratching till he looks like he has mange. Stumped the local retarded vet... he's about as competent as a rotten pencil... thinking it was fleas, I tried frontline, capstar, bravecta... no good. I read that article, did some research, and found the cure. Very specific because of the main ingredient, selenium. It's really helped my little boy:

1671761599070.png

Back