Zappa hops - anyone have experience with these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a wild idea and ordered some Zappa hops from YVH, with no particular brew in mind at this moment. Mainly my curiosity (and being a big Zappa fan). I understand many of these Neomexicanus hops are best as flavor/aroma hops and generally don't work well as bittering hops, giving a harsh bitterness (very high in cohumulone). I see some discussion of use in IPAs, hazies, etc. But I'm interested in using some in pale lagers, at flameout and in hopstand. Possibly also in APAs.

Anybody brewed with Zappa hops? What styles? How did you use them? What have you encountered? I'm reading mixed reviews--people either love them or hate them.

I tried it a while back in 2019 but don't remember much. I did a golden ale and Zappa Amarillo Bravo IPA(could not find a hop to rhythm with brillo). I also had strata in the IPA as seemed appropriate to sneaking in a hop with cannabis character.

I thought I seen something a couple years back that nobody was growing Zappa hops but I guess that is the case.

Don't know where they got this from but this is what Morebeer shows as a character plot for Zappa

1702251775943.png

Fruit and spice characters, sans citrus, apparently...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/zappa-pellet-hops.html
Cheers!

I started buying Zappa albums with Apostrophe, in '74. I was in high school. One of the local AM Top-40 stations actually had Don't Eat The Yellow Snow in its playlist. Hearing that got me hooked. Some of those albums I bought 3 times: LP, cassette, and CD.

Several years ago I was in a local pawn shop, sifting through their used CDs, which were dirt cheap. I found the complete set of You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore. All 6 volumes, 2 CDs in each. I think the shop was charging something like $1 for single CDs and $2 for doubles. I got the whole set for $12.

Last edited:
I started buying Zappa albums with Apostrophe, in '74. I was in high school. One of the local AM Top-40 stations actually had Don't Eat The Yellow Snow in its playlist. Hearing that got me hooked. Some of those albums I bought 3 times: LP, cassette, and CD.

Several years ago I was in a local pawn shop, sifting through their used CDs, which were dirt cheap. I found the complete set of You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore. All 6 volumes, 2 CDs in each. I think the shop was charging something like $1 for single CDs and $2 for doubles. I got the whole set for $12.

Same here. I've worn out so many copies of Apostrophe I can't count them all. Although I don't remember a Top-40 station playing Zappa but we had two underground FM stations in the area... WABX in Detroit and CJOM out of Canada who played all of his stuff a lot. I just ordered the 50th anniversary edition of Over-Nite Sensation on vinyl.

Same here. I've worn out so many copies of Apostrophe I can't count them all. Although I don't remember a Top-40 station playing Zappa but we had two underground FM stations in the area... WABX in Detroit and CJOM out of Canada who played all of his stuff a lot. I just ordered the 50th anniversary edition of Over-Nite Sensation on vinyl.

Rykodisc has both Apostrophe and Overnite Sensation on a single CD.

Glad to see there are other Zappa fans out there. I can't count how many times I saw him between the mid-70's and the late 80's. With the exception of all the new releases that keep coming out of the archives, I think I have every album he ever released while alive plus lots of bootleg albums. I have told friends, who think I'm nuts, that if I was stuck on a deserted island and could only have one album to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be One Size Fits All.

Whatever you do, don't make a SMASH with them. Make sure to use them with other hops and use them sparingly. They are strong and can be overwhelming. However, if used right, they add a very interesting flavor to an IPA.

What flavors did you pick up on? I remember, I think, they were sort of pine tree and pot "dank". I think I'd like to try a glass but wouldn't be willing to gamble with 5 gallons.

My dad came by unannounced to my (first) house the week that Joe's Garage was released and I had it playing - loudly - so I could hear it at the other end of the house where I was doing some painting. And while it probably didn't matter much given the whole album is crazy untamed, he shows up right in the middle of Keep It Greasey. Uber awkward 😅

Cheers!

My dad came by unannounced to my (first) house the week that Joe's Garage was released and I had it playing - loudly - so I could hear it at the other end of the house where I was doing some painting. And while it probably didn't matter much given the whole album is crazy untamed, he shows up right in the middle of Keep It Greasey. Uber awkward 😅

Cheers!

Did he give you a donut and tell you to stick closer to church-oriented social activities?

It's hard for me to describe the actual flavor other than to say it is strong, dank, resinous and thick for lack of any other descriptors. It was also more piney and berry-like than citrusy in my opinion.

I'm thinking I might use some high-alpha American hop for bittering. I have read a few recipes and some said Citra pairs well with Zappa. I don't have any Citra, but I have a bunch of Centennial, and some Triple Perle. Another possibility is buy a little Magnum or Warrior, go the neutral bittering route and let the Zappa rule. I just know I DO NOT want to use Zappa for bittering.

I'm leaning toward doing some kind of Kellerbier, pitching W-34/70. I don't plan to enter the beer, so not worried about coloring within the BJCP lines.

I now return this thread to our irregularly-scheduled Zappafest. Carry on.

Back