Them's fightin' words!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the same argument against drinkers that enjoy BMC. But many IPA elitists don't have a problem putting those people down. ;)

I'm not putting people down. I've yet to criticize the people, I focus on the flavor profile. Big difference. Who cares? Don't we? I mean this is home>BREW<talk. Flavor profile is kinda a big deal, isn't it? It's what we brew for.

As for BMC, as I learn more about beer brewing, BMC impresses me with their consistency. I don't necessarily think they have the best influence on the beer industry as a whole, but I see no harm it people spending their money on a bunch of Bud/Miller/coors on a weekly basis, just as I don't see the problem with people spending their money on IPA's. I just think they both lack the flavor balance that I'd spend my money on.

The APA is malty and not over the top with bitterness. Ask Yooper.

fair enough

Some like the icing, some like the cake. Most will agree that you need both for balance, but some people would scrap the pan for more icing. IPAs are no different.

Agreed.

I think it's kind of like eating oysters.You can tell about half of the people eating them don't really like them, especially if they order a half dozen. The things are like 8 calories a piece, and people share them with a date and eat like 3 of them. If you like them eat a couple dozen why don't you? they are friggin delicious... It's all about getting points for being cool...

Personally I love IPAs, but I've drank some that are kind of f'ed up. In the 2000s there was a trend to win the battle for IBUs. Some very notable IPA's of that area I never really liked that much. Pure astringency alone is not the hop's greatest feature, and I think High alpha acid low other stuff hops like Chinook, Centennial, and Northern brewer are best used sparingly and early in the boil. The best IPA's IMHO are citrus forward, rich, fruity, and aromatic. Personally I like to use Hops like Citra, Amarillo, and Nelson Sauvin, and finish things off with a F-ton of cascades. According to Tinseth My IBUs are way up there but they're bitter like a glass of grapefruit juice, not like a glass of mosquito repellent.

Obviously the guy writing the article is not super informed, he thinks "hoppy" is one specific flavor... but the vast majority of people drinking craft beer aren't really informed (or even interested) it's just a way to pretend to be classy. A lot of oyster drinkers out there...

[...]the vast majority of people drinking craft beer aren't really informed (or even interested) it's just a way to pretend to be classy. A lot of oyster drinkers out there...

200w.webp

If anything IPAs especially the NE style have been much more approachable than the bitter bombs of the past. This guy is fully speculating here.

I'm not putting people down. I've yet to criticize the people, I focus on the flavor profile. Big difference. Who cares? Don't we? I mean this is home>BREW<talk. Flavor profile is kinda a big deal, isn't it? It's what we brew for.

As for BMC, as I learn more about beer brewing, BMC impresses me with their consistency. I don't necessarily think they have the best influence on the beer industry as a whole, but I see no harm it people spending their money on a bunch of Bud/Miller/coors on a weekly basis, just as I don't see the problem with people spending their money on IPA's. I just think they both lack the flavor balance that I'd spend my money on.

Then you aren't one of the 'many' and my comment wasn't directed toward you. If you're (in the general sense) saying "eww how could you drink [insert tired over-used piss water joke about BMC]" aren't you in a way making a jab at the drinker's flavor profile expertise?

I have seen plenty of jabs at BMC and its drinkers on this forum by elitists. But you're right, that's OK! That's the beauty of having a forum. I am just pointing out the irony of this particular situation. I love ironies. :mug:

NOTE: This comment was not paid for by Budweiser.

Present company obviously excluded from this gross over generaliztion. I'm talking about 'drinkers' and not 'hobbyists'. 90+ % of anyone sitting down at a local neighborhood brewery with either a baby or a golden retreiver by their side (including myself in the <10%) won't have ever heard of things like isohumulone, or myrecene. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I love oysters, but usually only eat a few because they are so goddamn expensive (and I'm kinda cheap). Unless I happen to catch a buck-a-schuck!

My standing record is 108 in one sitting. $30 Dollar all-you-can-eat oyster Buffet in Tillman Island MD. 27 cents per oyster, and they were legit C. virginica; Chincoteagues.

When the sailors returned and said where can I find a good beer like on the ship? Were they "faking" liking a hoppier style. Prolly not

why not just boil hops in some water,

LOL I like this thread. It's like a Ford/Chevy discussion.

Actually, I do that. I like some hop tea from time to time.

Although I am a "hophead" (the whole reason I got into brewing was because I kept finding myself wishing that I could get more hop flavor injected into whatever I was drinking), I enjoy many styles of beer. But, my favorite style by a long shot is AIPA.

Chevy sucks, BTW. :mug:

I totally agree 100%, raw oysters are delicious. SWMBO won't eat them raw, so I have to grill them for her, also awesome with lemon and hot sauce.

When I moved from cali to colo I felt like a sailor "where is the beer I like" ...west coast hop...fat tire won by default. You could find it everywhere. When I went back to visit buddies, they said look what have we have for you....fat tire...wtf I prefer some lauganitas ipa from peteluma haha

Stupid article begets stupid thread.
Perfectly predictable...

Cheers!

I wasn't making a call for either side of the argument as I like several IPA's and find others lacking. I knew there would be strong opinions on both sides but posted it because I found it freaking hilarious!

Stupid is as stupid does...

My standing record is 108 in one sitting. $30 Dollar all-you-can-eat oyster Buffet in Tillman Island MD. 27 cents per oyster, and they were legit C. virginica; Chincoteagues.

It's a standing record because you put them out of business, right? :D

Give me vinegar and fresh chives and I shall challenge you to an oyster duel!

. I've yet to meet a person in person who's said I love a good IPA.

Can I ask a question without you being offended? Are you over 50 years old? Because I&#8217;m 35 and I&#8217;m not kidding, I know maybe 1 of my good buddies (roughly 15 dudes) who does not LOVE IPAs. I&#8217;m wondering if it&#8217;s a generational thing. Because most tap rooms I go to, they selll the hell outta IPAs. Yet everyone my dads age and older, hates them

Can I ask a question without you being offended? Are you over 50 years old? Because I’m 35 and I’m not kidding, I know maybe 1 of my good buddies (roughly 15 dudes) who does not LOVE IPAs. I’m wondering if it’s a generational thing. Because most tap rooms I go to, they selll the hell outta IPAs. Yet everyone my dads age and older, hates them

Nope. I'm actually younger than you. I'm 27 and very active in tasting as many craft (non-BMC) beers, heck even some BMC ones, but that's when I get em free. lol.

It's a standing record because you put them out of business, right? :D

Give me vinegar and fresh chives and I shall challenge you to an oyster duel!
They are still in business! 'Harrison's Chesapeake House' google them. I think now is the time of year they start doing Friday night Oyster buffet. It's like a two hour drive from where I live, but It's worth it for affordable oysters.

I will accept an oyster eating challenge anytime.

Pretty sure everyone knows where the name IPA came from.

But Americans perfected it

Just saying there’s some irony in saying “I love IPAs but hate malty ass Brit beers”. There are some wonderful British beers out there that are far from malty. If you’re generalizing them as malty, odds are you just haven’t found any you like yet but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

I actually just discovered this past summer that I like IPA's.

I typically avoided all things IPA at liquor stores, as the few I had tried, I didn't enjoy... found them overwhelmingly bitter. I resented IPA's as it seemed like 80% of the store shelf space was occupied by IPA's.

This past spring I started hearing about these NEIPA's and heard from a couple people who really loved them, and was intrigued by the supposed juicyness of them.

I eventually tracked an NEPIA down (they were hard to find around here) and absolutely loved it.

Over the following months I found several more in the style, enjoyed them all.

Then I decided to go back to trying some more typical / west coast IPA's... and discovered that I like many of them too!

So I'm several years late to the party, and now love the fact that 80% of liquor store craft beer space is filled with IPA's.

You know what everyone...All beer is awesome, if this style does not fit your palate that one will..All beer is awesome even ones people dont like why? cause it fermented into beer thats why

Dammit. Now i'm starving. Bring on the horseradish, lemon, and tobasco. A crate of Blue Point's would be awesome right about now. There wouldn't be any oysters left for all you young rookies :)

I think I have the answer to IPA's... We need a new name for the mosquito repellent, turpentine and pine tar IBU level brews. IPA's are generally good beers in their original form, but what is being brewed so much lately is just beyond stupid. There needs to be a new designation and name based on maybe anything that exceeds some IBU to OG ratio.

Breweries over hop everything to fit the fad, not just pale ales, so the term "IPA" doesn't work. I tried an irish red the other day and about puked. Had to have been 50 IBU (and they used some nasty-ass hops). Another local one is doing a light lager at 50 IBU. Put a warning on these things so people don't waste $6 to $8. Toilet bowl cleaner can be purchased for a lot less, and would taste better :)

I admit, I am a hop head. But I also love laggers, Saison and many other styles. I have also had some IPA beers that suck. I do feel the best beers have a balance between the hops and malt.....and I can't stand oysters. Love clams. Raw, steamed, grilled, fried.......but oysters....yuck!

Can we at least agree that oysters, bacon, sours and Brett's suck? Anyone who says they like them are just trying to do one of three things; fit in, stand out or just eat/drink what they like.

On a serious note...the only problem with IPAs is the fact that there are so many and some simply don't suit my pallet. Everyone should brew only beer that I like!

*jump in*

Oysters are sea-flavored snot.

*jump out*

haha. Oysters are one of those things I cannot believe I DO like. Seawater doesn't taste good. Organs gross me out a bit in general, and you're eating raw organs. I'm sure there's oyster **** in there. They look gross. You mentioned the snot-like consistency and look. Sometimes there's grit (sand?) in there.

But boy are they f***ing good!

Now that I think about it, I wonder what made me try them for the first time. Probably as a dare of sorts. Like eating a scorpion. But that was disgusting and I'd never do it again.

haha. Oysters are one of those things I cannot believe I DO like. Seawater doesn't taste good. Organs gross me out a bit in general, and you're eating raw organs. I'm sure there's oyster **** in there. They look gross. You mentioned the snot-like consistency and look. Sometimes there's grit (sand?) in there.

But boy are they f***ing good!

Now that I think about it, I wonder what made me try them for the first time. Probably as a dare of sorts. Like eating a scorpion. But that was disgusting and I'd never do it again.

That's one thing I always wanted to try, scorpion. They remind me of little lobsters. GET IN MA BELLEH!

That's one thing I always wanted to try, scorpion. They remind me of little lobsters. GET IN MA BELLEH!

I too imagined it would taste a little like lobster or crab, so that could have influenced me (plus--and I doubt you'd be shocked to hear this about a scoripion eater--I had had a few beers). But to me it tasted like bad, overcooked crab. And eggshells.

That was a pretty weak, hipster article. Yeah, there has kinda been an IPA craze going on and that will probably decline at some point. There will be a new style that everyone will be into, followed by a dumb article telling people it isn't cool anymore.

I'll just keep drinking what I want, and enjoy.

Broke Ass Stuart isn't really breaking news here, he's just trying to cash in on the product he is labeling as "uncool"

For someone with 'sea' in their name, you should feel ashamed. Your argument is invalid on a technicality.

For someone with "gag" in their name I'm surprised you can eat them.

ALL IN FUN! PLEASE DON'T BAN ME. 'Sea' in 'Seatazzz' is for Seattle. I do like me some crabs and salmon, and clam fritters, and calamari on occasion. DUCK IT'S A FLYING FISH.

Can we at least agree that oysters, bacon, sours and Brett's suck? Anyone who says they like them are just trying to do one of three things; fit in, stand out or just eat/drink what they like.

On a serious note...the only problem with IPAs is the fact that there are so many and some simply don't suit my pallet. Everyone should brew only beer that I like!

I'm standing in YOUR corner dodging flying oyster shells. I love IPA's, but I like other styles as well. Sours & goses are weird, not my taste at all, but it's kinda like food...I can't stand spicy anything. For the first time in my short brewing career I've got back-to-back brewed IPA's in my kegerator, with different flavor & aroma hops, just to have fun with it. Every new taproom/pub I go to I try the IPA first. If it's no good I'm hesitant to try anything else there, don't ask me why, I just live here.

That was a pretty weak, hipster article. Yeah, there has kinda been an IPA craze going on and that will probably decline at some point. There will be a new style that everyone will be into, followed by a dumb article telling people it isn't cool anymore.

I'll just keep drinking what I want, and enjoy.

Broke Ass Stuart isn't really breaking news here, he's just trying to cash in on the product he is labeling as "uncool"

Yeah, and unlike us, Stuart gets paid for being negative and generating controversy. There's a lot of positive constructive information to be found on the InterWebz. It's a reason why I like HBT and generally consider a lot of beer blogs as "light reading".
I recently read that Corona was the most popular beer in the world based on sales data, but does this make it the best beer in the world? I'll leave that as a matter of opinion for critics and the World Beer Cup to sort out.

Just saying there’s some irony in saying “I love IPAs but hate malty ass Brit beers”. There are some wonderful British beers out there that are far from malty. If you’re generalizing them as malty, odds are you just haven’t found any you like yet but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

I'm not generalizing anything.....I hate malty Brit beers, period. I am not saying all Brit beers are malty, but the ones that are (probably the majority) I cannot stand

Back