The Tired Hands Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone up for an IP trade tomorrow? I'm going to be bringing a bunch of stuff. DeGarde, Cigar City, Schramm's, Funky Buddha, a 3 year FW Anniversary vertical... Have a ton of Hill Farmstead glassware too if anyone's looking to scratch that itch. I have their standard stemware in sets of four in 3 different patters (white and black print, and silver etched). I have a set of four willibechers as well. Shoot me a message if you're interested in such stuff. Looking to snag a couple extra bottles of tomorrow's release to take care of my regular trading partners/trustees.

Beer is stupid
8BAAA631-ABA4-43A3-935E-ADC485FAFF1F_zpsyylqgbsc.jpg

In case you can't tell, that's from around the second corner and behind the post office.

Last edited:
showed up at 10 and stood there for a couple minutes and left. the line was past the mail trucks and around the corner behind the post office. i was basically standing in the ihop parking lot.

as long as i've been there before 10:30, i've never been shut out of a release. today was bonkers.

oh yeah, meant to mention that if anyone has an extra bottle, i'd gladly take it off your hands.

I'm the dude in the green jacket in that pic. I was, of course, shut out.

They weren't expecting the biggest bottle release turnout they've ever had, that's for certain. My argument is that Jean needed to call an audible and change the allocation to 2 bottles per person, or at least compromise and give 3 bottles to the first 100-150 people and make it 2 per after that. The people that were shut out today were largely locals -- aka the people who sustain the business week in and week out. So many mules and out-of-state trade group peeps.

I can't be too mad that I got shut out -- I don't feel entitled to any beer release -- but it's crazy that I showed up at 9am and was already 50-60 people past the eventual cutoff point. I showed up at 9am for Handfarm a few weeks ago and was like 68th in line. Today I was about 270th or so. 200 more people were in line at 9am than with the last release. Nuts.

I'm the dude in the green jacket in that pic. I was, of course, shut out.

They weren't expecting the biggest bottle release turnout they've ever had, that's for certain. My argument is that Jean needed to call an audible and change the allocation to 2 bottles per person, or at least compromise and give 3 bottles to the first 100-150 people and make it 2 per after that. The people that were shut out today were largely locals -- aka the people who sustain the business week in and week out. So many mules and out-of-state trade group peeps.

I can't be too mad that I got shut out -- I don't feel entitled to any beer release -- but it's crazy that I showed up at 9am and was already 50-60 people past the eventual cutoff point. I showed up at 9am for Handfarm a few weeks ago and was like 68th in line. Today I was about 270th or so. 200 more people were in line at 9am than with the last release. Nuts.

I don't know who "they" are...but I certainly expected this to be the biggest turnout yet. The first two Parageusia's have been oft spoken of as their best bottles thus far. With a nice 3 bottle limit, this was going to draw all the flies. This is pure speculation, but I have to imagine at some point, lowering the bottle count just puts more people in play. Nearly 100 more. That puts the line where, inside of IHOP?

We got our bottles and went upstairs for a quick drink or two. We were by the window and the line was out of sight up until we left. However, to my surprise, when we left, we found the line wasn't for bottles, but just to get in the door. The place was at capacity and there were 30 or so people in a queue just to get in the place for anything whatsoever. I can't imagine another 100 people in line would have helped that any.

As for those that are Believer's...yeah...I'm sure they can't wait to not have to deal with weather and lines like today. It was cold and the sidewalks and streets were in absolute **** condition.

As for showing up at 9 and getting shut out...I'll bet the cutoff point occurred around 7:15. I showed up about 15 minutes later than typical and the line was already around to the front door of Tired Hands.

I think what happens is that people get shut out and make it a point of arriving earlier, and as such, it makes the normal arrival time of everyone else insufficient to maintain roughly the same place in line they're used to filling in.

Sorry you got shut out. :(

I don't know who "they" are...but I certainly expected this to be the biggest turnout yet. The first two Parageusia's have been oft spoken of as their best bottles thus far. With a nice 3 bottle limit, this was going to draw all the flies. This is pure speculation, but I have to imagine at some point, lowering the bottle count just puts more people in play. Nearly 100 more. That puts the line where, inside of IHOP?

We got our bottles and went upstairs for a quick drink or two. We were by the window and the line was out of sight up until we left. However, to my surprise, when we left, we found the line wasn't for bottles, but just to get in the door. The place was at capacity and there were 30 or so people in a queue just to get in the place for anything whatsoever. I can't imagine another 100 people in line would have helped that any.

As for those that are Believer's...yeah...I'm sure they can't wait to not have to deal with weather and lines like today. It was cold and the sidewalks and streets were in absolute **** condition.

As for showing up at 9 and getting shut out...I'll bet the cutoff point occurred around 7:15. I showed up about 15 minutes later than typical and the line was already around to the front door of Tired Hands.

I think what happens is that people get shut out and make it a point of arriving earlier, and as such, it makes the normal arrival time of everyone else insufficient to maintain roughly the same place in line they're used to filling in.

I got there at 8:45 and was 6 away from the door so the cut off point didn't occur anywhere near 7:15.

I got there at 8:45 and was 6 away from the door so the cut off point didn't occur anywhere near 7:15.
That was a typo. Meant to say 8:15. Even then...if you got there at 8:45 and were only six from the door, I'm sort of at a loss. We got there at 6:30 and were set up right where they had the coffee. I guess in two hours and 15 minutes, just six more people showed up. Perhaps I should pay better attention.

i showed up at 10am and was standing in the ihop parking lot. i've never been shut out of a TH release as long as i got there before 10:30am. and this release should've serviced 227 people.

i'm curious, what exactly gave you the soothsayer-like forethought this was going to be the biggest ever release..? people were able to go through the line twice at both the previous parageusias. pretty sure there was no indication it was going to be like this today. from what i've heard tired hands certainly wasn't ready for it.

i showed up at 10am and was standing in the ihop parking lot. i've never been shut out of a TH release as long as i got there before 10:30am. and this release should've serviced 227 people.

i'm curious, what exactly gave you the soothsayer-like forethought this was going to be the biggest ever release..? people were able to go through the line twice at both the previous parageusias. pretty sure there was no indication it was going to be like this today. from what i've heard tired hands certainly wasn't ready for it.

#newmoney

Certainly no soothsayer...but I'd personally just talked to a lot of people who've been talking about this release for sometime. Friends of mine, steady trading partners... People were certainly able to get in line for multiples previously. I do believe the bottle limits were 2 for the first two releases as well, so they should have serviced more people. I could be wrong on that, however. Undoubtedly (and obviously) more bottles of both the first and second release had been consumed by the time this batch was released, than had been prior to either of the first two releases. It was just a label that had picked up some steam. I made the first release, but missed the second. I've tried trading for the last release and it's been a pain in the ass to do so. I just figured this was going to be a fairly well attended release.

Last edited:
they were 2/person, you're right. but there were no where near 680 bottles either. but the limits allowed for a similar number of allotments as p3. i have trading partners that were excited about it too, so what? they weren't showing up to the release.

they were 2/person, you're right. but there were no where near 680 bottles either. but the limits allowed for a similar number of allotments as p3. i have trading partners that were excited about it too, so what? they weren't showing up to the release.

I thought it was fairly well understood that when a beer gains popularity, the releases do too? There was certainly a lot of hype surrounding this release...IMO a lot more than 1/2. Just look at the number of IP trades threads going on on the other site. I really don't understand what your argument is. The beer gets hype, the releases get insanely more crowded. This ALWAYS happens.

I thought it was fairly well understood that when a beer gains popularity, the releases do too? There was certainly a lot of hype surrounding this release...IMO a lot more than 1/2. Just look at the number of IP trades threads going on on the other site. I really don't understand what your argument is. The beer gets hype, the releases get insanely more crowded. This ALWAYS happens.

just seemed exponential is all.

i arrived slightly later for p2 than i did yesterday and i was sitting my the mail trucks.. no trouble getting bottles. yesterday i was standing in the ihop parking lot. no argument really other than 'get off my lawn you kids' or something like that, haha.

grandpa-simpson-yelling-at-cloud.jpg

So what? I was simply reinforcing that this release had more fanfare attached to it in advance. More people asked me for this release than any other two combined. It was on the radar and it was highly visible at that.

I hope for those that don't necessarily like showing up early that the new place with it's increased production will provide enough product to last a day. Somehow I doubt it. But...at least the releases should serve more people...whether or not it actually allows folk to sleep in any later.

At any rate...I hope you fare better the next go 'round. Cheers.

looks like tired hands is going to be distributing [just to] philly soon.

joy.
I might not count since I don't live in the area but I feel like thats weird. Whenever I visit Philly every couple months I like going to tired hands a bunch. I really enjoy the atmosphere. Im not sure I'd get their beer if it were on tap elsewhere.

I might not count since I don't live in the area but I feel like thats weird. Whenever I visit Philly every couple months I like going to tired hands a bunch. I really enjoy the atmosphere. Im not sure I'd get their beer if it were on tap elsewhere.
Why do you think that's weird? As a city dweller, I'm thrilled. The less I have to schlep to the suburbs the better.

Why do you think that's weird? As a city dweller, I'm thrilled. The less I have to schlep to the suburbs the better.
I just associate the beer with the place. Im sure its convenient for people who don't want to go to ardmore every time. I usually find when places start distributing the beer just doesnt really seem the same as it does at the source.

I just associate the beer with the place. Im sure its convenient for people who don't want to go to ardmore every time. I usually find when places start distributing the beer just doesnt really seem the same as it does at the source.
Are you speaking of quality of the product, or just the difference in experience? Because if the later, this would seem very subjective.

Are you speaking of quality of the product, or just the difference in experience? Because if the later, this would seem very subjective.
Quality for sure. For a place like tired hands who serve their beers how they do(carb levels, freshness ect) Bars sometimes dont take as much care serving the product(at least here) I've had quite a few beers that taste great in taprooms yet get served out of dirty lines at a bar or the keg is kept way too long then served. Maybe that isnt ever a problem in Philly Im not sure.

Back