The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been wanting to do this for ages, and finally did last night. bummed we forgot to take a couple images, but we were too excited about the results

I have a CharGril duel fuel gas/charcoal grill with a Texas style side chamber I use for indirect heat when smoking. We used the gas side to keep thing controllable when getting started. Warmed the pizza stone up on lowest setting with two burners for 10 min, then lit the third burner and brought the closed grill up to 450 over the next 10 minutes. Held temp for another 10 min then slid on the first of two pizzas.

We used parchment paper under the pizza so it was easy to transfer from the paddle to the stone, and it keeps the pizza from sticking to the stone while it's baking.

I see this happening again this coming weekend :)

BBQ pizza box on the pellet grill. Darker bottom is with the stone right over the flame and lighter (turned out better overall) is with the stone on indirect heat. Measured 700-780 on the stone on direct heat and 580-630 on the stone with indirect heat the metal on the back and top was reading about 580 in both cases on the metal Not sure how I can increase the top temps without overdoing the stone as I wouldn't mind some more browning on top. Might just do half on the BBQ and then a minute broil inside.
20191009_172426.jpeg
20191009_172423.jpeg
20191009_172431.jpeg
20191007_174835.jpeg

Awesome pies, I love the work the blackstone does. Anyone whose first posts are in the pizza thread is awseome in my book. Welcome!
New to posting, old to lurking. Figured a pizza thread was a good place to start! Got an outdoor Blackstone oven that has worked well at cranking out 900°F pies for years. Sample of my typical work is attached.

View attachment 647532

First pizza in a long time, and it was a series of errors that just happened to turn out well. Crust was Chris Graff's NYC for the Home Oven recipe (pizzamaking.com) sized for two pizzas. After 3 hours at room temperature, it had not risen at all, so I left it overnight. By morning it had risen a little so I left it through the day. House was only around 74 degrees F, so I was not concerned and figured I would make it that night. But we got invited to dinner that evening, so I regrigerated the dough for another 24 hours. By that time it looked great. I let it warm on the counter for an hour or two, then proceeded to make pizza. Mix of part skim low moisture mozz, really nice provolone, and Tillamook medium cheddar, topped with Boar's Head pepperoni and previously cooked italian sausage, the dusted with parm before and after cooking. Cooked on the second from the top rack of the oven on a steel preheated to 550 degrees F. Baked about 2 minutes, switched to hi broil for about 2 minutes, then back to bake for another minute. Sauce was some cool tomato puree that I found at Tom Thumb, but I don't remember the brand. All in all it was awesome, despite the delays, and the crust was delicious!

Attachments

• 14 Oct 19 NYC Sauce.jpg
    14 Oct 19 NYC Sauce.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 14 Oct 19 NYC Loaded.jpg
    14 Oct 19 NYC Loaded.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 14 Oct 19 NYC Baking.jpg
    14 Oct 19 NYC Baking.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 14 Oct 19 NYC Finished.jpg
    14 Oct 19 NYC Finished.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 14 Oct 19 NYC Crust.jpg
    14 Oct 19 NYC Crust.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 58
P.S. I think the puree might be Mutti. It's delicious and thick right out of the bottle. I just sprinkled a little dried oregano and basil on it after I spread it on the pizza.

You never cease to impress bravo. Next time I cook in house ill try putting the steel up in oven and a little broil too. Thanks man.

@Kent88 that sounds so cool. I have never cooked with spent grains, but especially stout grain looks appetizing. Plus dme, super cool. Did it act like sugar?

First pizza in a long time, and it was a series of errors that just happened to turn out well. Crust was Chris Graff's NYC for the Home Oven recipe (pizzamaking.com) sized for two pizzas. After 3 hours at room temperature, it had not risen at all, so I left it overnight. By morning it had risen a little so I left it through the day. House was only around 74 degrees F, so I was not concerned and figured I would make it that night. But we got invited to dinner that evening, so I regrigerated the dough for another 24 hours. By that time it looked great. I let it warm on the counter for an hour or two, then proceeded to make pizza. Mix of part skim low moisture mozz, really nice provolone, and Tillamook medium cheddar, topped with Boar's Head pepperoni and previously cooked italian sausage, the dusted with parm before and after cooking. Cooked on the second from the top rack of the oven on a steel preheated to 550 degrees F. Baked about 2 minutes, switched to hi broil for about 2 minutes, then back to bake for another minute. Sauce was some cool tomato puree that I found at Tom Thumb, but I don't remember the brand. All in all it was awesome, despite the delays, and the crust was delicious!

Last edited:
Thanks applescrap!

I try to use spent grains when I can. Thing is, at least to my pallet (not that it is a taste issue, more texture), it doesn't take much spent grain to get to enough. Spent grain is really good for things that typically get covered in a sauce/syrup/liquid-type-thing.

I substituted the sugar called for in the recipe for two-thirds the weight in DME, and you can see how it did in that bottom picture. I proofed my yeast in the wort and those bakers yeasts went crazy. Krausened in minutes.

I usually don't save excess from stout for things like this, but when I tasted my wort it reminded me of a wood-fired crust, so I thought I'd try it. I didn't get that character to come through, but it still tasted really good.

step-6.png

Ingredient for making Meat Balls -
1 lb. of ground beef (80-20 meat to fat)
1 lb. of raw Italian Sausage Meat (Sweet or Hot as you prefer) If you can’t find just the meat, then get a lb. of fresh Italian Sausage Links and remove from casings
½ cup of Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs
½ cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
One or two extra large fresh eggs
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Chopped parsley is optional, as the sausage is already seasoned

For Pies -
Pizza dough balls for pies
Fresh mozzarella cheese for topping pizza
Fresh washed and dried basil leaves

Used wood burning pizza oven.

Ingredient for making Meat Balls -
1 lb. of ground beef (80-20 meat to fat)
1 lb. of raw Italian Sausage Meat (Sweet or Hot as you prefer) If you can’t find just the meat, then get a lb. of fresh Italian Sausage Links and remove from casings
½ cup of Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs
½ cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
One or two extra large fresh eggs
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Chopped parsley is optional, as the sausage is already seasoned

FYI, if you don't have Italian sausage, you can substitute a roll of bulk breakfast sausage (just the regular or hot, don't get the maple kind) plus a half teaspoon or so of fennel seeds.

I used the other half of the dough that I posted a couple of days ago. That means that this dough recipe (that is expected to be used the same day it's made!) had a 24 hour RT rise, and 4 days in the fridge!! Did not expect much from it, but it actually came out better than the first one. I learned a bit about opening dough from watching some videos and I think that gave me much better oven spring. I also backed off on the toppings a bit on this one, and it turned out much better!

16 Oct 19 NYC Baking.jpg
16 Oct 19 NYC Finished.jpg
16 Oct 19 NYC Crust.jpg

That upper shelf is doing nicely the bottom crust. I see a little less browning from the fridge rest, but it makes some nice pie doesnt it. I see the air pockets in that and it looks awesome. How much sugar is in the dough? Looks awesome again. I like the color on the bottom. Ooo, pretty steel too. Looks like mine.
I used the other half of the dough that I posted a couple of days ago. That means that this dough recipe (that is expected to be used the same day it's made!) had a 24 hour RT rise, and 4 days in the fridge!! Did not expect much from it, but it actually came out better than the first one. I learned a bit about opening dough from watching some videos and I think that gave me much better oven spring. I also backed off on the toppings a bit on this one, and it turned out much better!

View attachment 648637 View attachment 648638 View attachment 648639

Attachments

• Chris Graff NYC for the Home Oven.jpg
    Chris Graff NYC for the Home Oven.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 42
I wouldn't mind some more browning on top
Indirect heat is a good start. You could use a pizza screen to slow the bottom a bit and let the top catch up possibly.
Usually, raising the pizza works but maybe not in this case.

Beautiful crust there that I'm coveting. Are you willing to share your dough recipe?

It was based on this recipe, although not exactly. In italian but the autotranslate works ok

This was my exact recipe: each doughball is 290g

50% Waitrose extra strong canadian bread flour
25% mathews 00 pizza flour (some sort of durum flour)
25% divella semola rimincinata
70% water
20% starter
2% salt
2% oil
2% sugar
0.2% gypsum

100g of my starter refreshed with 50g flour 50g water for 3 hours, meanwhile all the flour and water mixed and let to autolyse for the same time. All ingredients mixed in kenwood after those 3 hours, left to stand for another hour then refridgerated overnight (14 hours or so) . 290g doughball made for 26cm pan ( I used a nonstick aluminum tarte tatin dish as that is the best fit I have ).

Boiled a litre and a half of water and put it in a container in the oven along with the pan+dough ball for 3 more hours for final proof, then took it out, covered with damp towel and preheated oven . topped then cooked for 15 minutes - I think I par baked it, 10 mins in the pan with just tomato sauce, then added the rest of the toppings.

Jeebus that video...mods will delete anything I say about it.
It was based on this recipe, although not exactly. In italian but the autotranslate works ok

This was my exact recipe: each doughball is 290g

50% Waitrose extra strong canadian bread flour
25% mathews 00 pizza flour (some sort of durum flour)
25% divella semola rimincinata
70% water
20% starter
2% salt
2% oil
2% sugar
0.2% gypsum

100g of my starter refreshed with 50g flour 50g water for 3 hours, meanwhile all the flour and water mixed and let to autolyse for the same time. All ingredients mixed in kenwood after those 3 hours, left to stand for another hour then refridgerated overnight (14 hours or so) . 290g doughball made for 26cm pan ( I used a nonstick aluminum tarte tatin dish as that is the best fit I have ).

Boiled a litre and a half of water and put it in a container in the oven along with the pan+dough ball for 3 more hours for final proof, then took it out, covered with damp towel and preheated oven . topped then cooked for 15 minutes - I think I par baked it, 10 mins in the pan with just tomato sauce, then added the rest of the toppings.

Jeebus that video...mods will delete anything I say about it.

Ha! Please go on :) The salt+ yeast thing is bollocks when making pizza and the window pane test is irrelevant too tbf. Not sure what else would get you really annoyed though . Other than his facial hair.

Last edited:
Hi folks, been making pizza for quite a while and got my crust dialed in thanks to reading this thread. What is the consensus best pizza sauce out of the can or jar? I'd like to get that nailed.

Hi folks, been making pizza for quite a while and got my crust dialed in thanks to reading this thread. What is the consensus best pizza sauce out of the can or jar? I'd like to get that nailed.

I buy whole canned plum tomatoes, usually stockpiled when on sale. Takes a few minutes to get the seeds and stems out, seasoned and blended into sauce, but makes a very tasty product IMHO.

I have been using the recipe below, but I cook it on the stove for 10 to 15min to remove the can taste. I heat the oil in a sauce pan then bloom the spices before adding the tomatoes as well.

This Sicilian style came out good, I've only attempted a few times over the years and they've come out kinda poor due to my dough handling.
Adjusted my normal recipe approx :HG flour 70% hydration , 2% oil, 2% sugar, 3%salt, 15% preferment. 24 hr rest @ 59F 3Hr rise 'oven proof' around 90F
I always use my food processor, it's amazing for small batches. I let the dough rise in the same pan with 2 tbs veg oil. gently spreading by hand after a few hours, next morning and before oven proof.
Bake: 5 minute par bake @ 475 convection and about 15 minutes with all the toppings with some broiling at the end
There was some slight sticking on the bottom but released fine with spatula.

Next time i will put more focus on having more of a rise on the crust around the edge.

If anyone interested in a good-easy pizza sauce recipe this is what i use:
25-30oz can crushed tomatoes (redpack surprisingly decent)
1.5 TBS sugar
1 TSP salt
1/4 TSP pepper

Re Hydrated Dry herbs (Mix and add water till consistency is of 'wet sand' & microwave 2 minutes @ 30% power)
3 TSP garlic
3 TSP oregano
1 TSP basil
1 TSP onion
1/4 TSP red pepper flakes (if you like some more heat)

Let cool and add everything to tomatoes mix well and refrigerate (it gets better after a couple days but using right away is still good)

lmT5RJZ.jpg

QalEJ3w.jpg

4DC400FB-433F-4191-942F-00A3E1A125ED.jpeg
BA98F5AA-A40F-48E1-BCFE-37DBF6B8F3E1.jpeg
23537C60-BB87-450A-B6E6-F492FFB8D84F.jpeg

baked few pizzas using dough fermented with 50/50 dried bakers yeast / belle saison yeast. dough was a little bit chewy for my taste and could take another 12h to ferment

home grown san marzano tomato sauce, buffalo mozzarela, pecorino, wild mushrooms, garlic for toppings as well as ricotta and basil

Been a year or two since I've made a pizza; it's about time to start again. Any of y'all tried putting the cheese on the bottom and the tomatoes on top? Seems like I could just use seasoned crushed canned tomatoes for the sauce and it would evaporate and thicken (and caramelize a bit) in the oven. The cheese would keep the tomatoes from sogging-out the crust.

Been a year or two since I've made a pizza; it's about time to start again. Any of y'all tried putting the cheese on the bottom and the tomatoes on top? Seems like I could just use seasoned crushed canned tomatoes for the sauce and it would evaporate and thicken (and caramelize a bit) in the oven. The cheese would keep the tomatoes from sogging-out the crust.
Putting sauce on top is my specialty. I make Detroit style deep dish 99% of the time which traditionally has sauce on top but there's no reason why you can't dab an appropriate amount of sauce on a round.
I use canned, diced tomatoes (I don't see why crushed wouldn't be fine) and blend them. After that, in a pot with crushed garlic and you can add minced basil or whole basil leaves and take them out when done. I cook this down until it's pizza sauce consistency. Obviously, you need to add salt and pepper. I can't remember how crushed toms look out of the can but you may want to cook them down.
As far as caramelizing, unless there's a decent amount of sugar in the sauce, cooked down until super thick or a 700F oven, it's not likely as far as I know.

best pizza sauce out of the can or jar?
@yowzers I haven't read any replies yet to your query (lazy). Either is okay but you can get better results, without much effort, by making homemade.
Recipe depends on whether you're doing round or square. Round sauce is a bit sweeter and square sauce is more of a deep, hearty tomato flavor. Both are easily achieved.

Pizza dough with crushed red peppers, Italian seasoning, spent grain flour, and oatmeal along with a bit of sugar, yeast, olive oil, unbleached flour, and water.

It baked a few minutes too long at 425F and browned the cheese a bit much. No pic since my phone camera ran out of film sorry. Lol. [emoji481]
20191021_183634.jpeg
20191021_185837.jpeg

Back