The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had their pie once and paid as much attention to the kitchen as I could while there. They use sheeters to thin out what looks to be a pretty dry dough. Very pastry like. In all honesty, the closest I have gotten in my handful of attempts is as follows:
Preheat oven pretty low(325-375ish, can't remember). Place a xl baking sheet lined with foil on lower rack. This will both catch overflow and block direct heating of your pan.
I used Pillsbury canned dough. Classis I think. I make my own dough, always. But I had used this once in a rush in a sheet pan and it was damn close to Gios.
I payed one can of dough over my buttered 12x12x3 inch cast iron. (I have a few 12" deep dish pans I would prob use now, but cast iron did well). Filled with toppings. Added spices and cheese. Topped with a second can of dough. Pinched. Baked for 15-20 minutes? On upper rack.
Removed. Added cheese and layer of sauce. You want a decent thin sauce on top as it will cook down significantly.
Return to oven. Maybe, lower temp a few degrees. Back until bubbling on top for a few minutes.
Sorry, it's been several years, but I hope this helps on your quest.
Or you can always have them mail you a pie from their website.
Best of luck!
I haven't read every post on this thread so I don't know if this has been posted before or not. So if it has, my apologies. Having lived outside Chicago for about a year, I've always liked Giordano's stuffed pizzas. The site in the link below has some good info / recipes. I'm still working on perfecting a stuffed pie like Giordano's makes. I still haven't figured out quite how they get their crust more like pastry than bread. Anyway, I thought this might be good here because, you know, pizza is great but even better when you made it yourself.

http://www.realdeepdish.com/

Been a while but I'm still slinging...
I've been experimenting with some light dme mixed with my flour/cornmeal mix I use to stretch with.
It's early but promising results with browning. I think at this scale, I need more dme than I was initially comfortable with.
DME in the dough doesn't seem to help in long ferments and I doubt you could put enough in to matter without making a super sweet dough....
Also, I want to try using some potato starch I'm my dust. I've been using it for fried chicken and it stays crispy for *days*. See Korean fried chicken. Wonder what it will impart on the crust.

Jwin, what is DME?

I can only think of dry malt extract...

That's it. A lot of dough recipes have sugar in them. DME is just a sugar so it is an easy substitute.

I sometimes use DME in pizza dough or bread dough. I think you can taste it a little bit, and it smells like when you're brewing beer. I don't know what difference it really makes, though.

The diastatic powder has been a wonderful addition so far. I like the taste and it makes the dough taste a little more rich. Am experimenting with increasing amounts. Up to 1 tsp per cup, but I suspect that will be too much. I suspect it is less effective in long ferments but still I think added color especially to bread and flavor wise, it's hard to imagine going back.
Screenshot_20190823-195545_Gallery.jpeg
20190819_180103.jpeg
20190819_175021.jpeg

First try not so great. Bottom tore out and dumped a ton of cheese and toppings on the stone, which rendered it impossible to cook the second pizza. All in all I’d call it a failure. House smells horrible now too.

58846639796__CD9192E2-285B-4EA4-AC6B-72C10ED846C6.JPG

Slinging these into my big green egg tonight.

Made a 14 hr bulk ferment at room temperature and balled them up and let them rest at room temperature again for 8 hours.

100% 00 - Caputo Flour
62% hydration
3% salt
2% ADY

I’ll post the results later, if the camera beats the crowd.

View attachment 641461

These are the pies I got a chance/remembered to take a picture of.

Cranked out 8 pies.

Paired with a Franziskaner Weissbier.

IMG_4343.JPG
IMG_4344.JPG
IMG_4345.JPG
IMG_4346.JPG

First try not so great. Bottom tore out and dumped a ton of cheese and toppings on the stone, which rendered it impossible to cook the second pizza. All in all I’d call it a failure. House smells horrible now too.

View attachment 641518

That happened to me a couple of times when I stretched it out too thin.

I peel your pain.

Made another standard pie last Thursday. The wife really likes this combo and won't let me change the toppings. It is delicious, though. Gotta love that baking stone.

20190822_193430.jpg

I did it, I finally did it. I got color on the crust of the dough that has sat in fridge over a week. 2 tablespoons of the malt powder is what it took. For those curious that is about one tsp per cup. It wasn't overly sweet either and actually provides a nice balance with the salt. My wife says that it smells and tastes professional. I have to agree that it provides a somewhat commercial quality taste to it. I don't want to make too many comments without a lot more experimentation but I do have some initial thoughts. The pizza browned and cooked substantially faster. I wonder if 550 is too high. This left the cheese really gooey and I realized that this pizza will need less sauce. Despite the rich color of the crust I don't think it was as crispy as the other crust. It was more chewy. Where the other crust folds in half with a nice seem, this crust more bends in a rounded shape. Taste is great yet not as crunchy. Look forward to future learnings and pizzas!
Screenshot_20190829-071135_Gallery.jpeg
20190828_182142.jpeg
20190828_182134.jpeg
20190828_180443.jpeg
20190828_182644.jpeg

Couple days later, not quite as brown, also not as preheated. Napoli pizza oven on the way, so excited!

Oops. Here are the pics, also forgot to mention the sauce. I sauted fresh garden onion in evoo, canola mix, added garlic, stewed softly. Added garden oregano, basil, and parsley. Added cherry tomatoes and tbl sugar, and salt. Boiled down for 30 min or so, maybe more. Kind of pulling skin as I went. Chilled. Next day pulled more skins and food processed. Its peculiar, if not good. The cherry tomatoes are sweet. They were yellow, orange, and red, plus one big tomato. The pepper is garden cubaneca. Ate with homemade hot sauce. Love meals like that.
20190831_180945.jpeg
20190831_180941.jpeg
20190831_175927.jpeg
20190831_174659.jpeg

I had a major pizza outrage this weekend. Ordered Chicago Deep Dish Pizza only to receive pan twice.

Look at the description. Is this not a pan description?

I attached two images below, pan and then deep dish. I was really ticked that the manager didn't know the difference, much less the restaurant.

I've eaten the meat ball pie at La Barra at least three times (it's called deep dish too). It's like the second image real deep dish with golf ball sized meat balls.

Would you folks have the same expectation?

La Barra. https://www.labarraristorante.com/home.html#!menu

Chicago Deep Dish

Our focaccia style pan dough is double proofed & lined with mozzarella resulting in a caramelized cheese crust that is crispy on the outside while light & fluffy in the center. Add burrata & basil to any deep dish pizza $6.

Russo Sausage

Mozzarella. Add fennel pollen $3.

$20.00

Danny’s Special

Russo sausage, mushrooms, green pepper, onion.

$28.00

La Barra Supreme

Mushrooms, onion, green pepper, pepperoni, olives.

$30.00

Meatball Pie

Meatballs, whipped ricotta, garlic, fresh basil.

$22.00

Popeye

Baby spinach, roasted mushrooms, garlic.

$25.00

Burrata & Basil

Mozzarella, provolone, pecorino crushed tomatoes, burrata, fresh basil.

$26.00

img_5458_0.jpeg
image34.jpeg

First cooks were a bust. I couldn't get a whole huge pile of lump charcoal hot enough. Not quite enough air flow. It was all I had. I tried chips but they just burned up. A 1000 degree fire must have a bunch of flames it would seem. Cast iron fit beautifully, do that was nice. Need pellets and chunks.
20190902_185443.jpeg
20190902_160050.jpeg
20190902_154952.jpeg
20190902_155944.jpeg
20190902_150112.jpeg

Bottom tore out
I worked in a pizzeria for six years and made who-knows how many thousands of pizzas; what happened to you happens on occasion.
You may already know all of what follows but for others new to making regular rounds, there are a few fixes/preventative measures that work.
It's the sauce that seeps that does the damage.
Don't hand-stretch too thin in an attempt to make the dough reach beyond its ability or ignore the "papery" spot. If there are tiny holes everywhere, that's also bad. Once it's on the screen or stone and in the oven, it's too late.
Use extra dough from somewhere and roll out a piece and barely wet the edges of this patch and place on area.
Water sauce can be a negative. You can use watery sauce but you'll need to compensate with a bit thicker dough.
Some pizza screens are better than others. There are some which are slightly rough and so less forgiving when you use the peel.
If the dough happens to be a little wet when it's to the correct size, then pay attention to use just enough flour to make it not sticky. Sticky dough will also bind to the screen and rip the pizza but not as bad as sauce seepage--once that happens, it's over and very sad.

Last edited:
I posted these on "What did you cook this weekend?" but this is the appropriate spot. This is one of the five I made. I used a combination of brick cheese and sharp white cheddar (3:2). I think brick and Monterey (3:2) might be a little better.
Interestingly, I had great success with cooking them on the gas grill. This made it a year-round dish which is awesome.
crust shot.jpg
money shot.jpg
brown crust.jpg

I have found fresh dough browns better and is crunchier as well and tastes better than refrigerated dough
I've never tried refrigerating dough but have been tempted since my brother goes on about the number of days he refrigerates. I'm only familiar with refrigerating the dough for storage and that has already fermented for the most part.
I just let it rise twice and into the pan where it rises some more. I have been tempted to add another rise but usually it's dinner time so I skip it.

I've never tried refrigerating dough but have been tempted since my brother goes on about the number of days he refrigerates. I'm only familiar with refrigerating the dough for storage and that has already fermented for the most part.
I just let it rise twice and into the pan where it rises some more. I have been tempted to add another rise but usually it's dinner time so I skip it.

I've done both, refrigerate the dough and ferment in the fridge as well as ferment in a worm place then refrigerate for use in a week or 2, it's still better fresh to me

Been a long time since I used fresh, but made some fresh last night, scooby snack. Haha, at like 10pm last night after a few beers. I fired the pizza oven up. In 30 minutes had to pies done. Dont k ow whatvi think. Chewy and soft vs oven which is cruncy. Going to get infrared thermometer today to measure. Also a few from other day. I think with some big hunks of oak it will be just right.
20190906_221142.jpeg
20190906_221714.jpeg
20190906_221727.jpeg
20190904_184341.jpeg
20190904_182308.jpeg

Thanks ozarks. Well, finally got the friggin infrared and wood chunks. With the wood attachment I got 930 on metal in back, 830 in front of that and 730 in middle. Turned on low and threw a few chunks in the tray in back and voila. I think it got hotter. I think the floor is cooler than the top, I love this pic of the fire over the top of the pizza. Made a bunch quick, and with the propane and wood, will be faster. Jeez, hope this thing is safe. You engineers know or at least could guess and help a bro out. So propane with wood, metal red hot, wood on, instant fire.

The pizza tastes different, done but soft and chewy, its weird. Still learning. Garden cubaneca peppers, poblanos, and left over grilled marinated chicken, round gallbradi or something cheese.
20190909_183544.jpeg
20190909_180654.jpeg
20190909_182738.jpeg
20190909_182732.jpeg
20190909_182721.jpeg

My research lead me to these. They sale you the foam template for 180 and then you put the bricks around it, mortar in, and sawzall out foam. All directions given and pics of people who have made them and their ovens. The results are nice and they are affordable. On their site i saw a box design that was interesting. Does it all, smoker, pizza, grill and oven. Think I have shared this with you before maybe a couple times, lol, so once again for anyone else. Guess I really want one but with our hot cold weather, not sure how it will do. Ultimately for pizza the napoli is solid enough and I get 850 degrees in 20 minutes or so.
Screenshot_20191005-072630_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20191005-072607_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20191005-072510_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

Wow, those are really really nice looking pizzas. That second one looks amazing. Aftet using my toy a gew times I can tell that oven gets blazing hot. Any tips you could share on turning as cooking. I am using a four turn.

Wow, those are really really nice looking pizzas. That second one looks amazing. Aftet using my toy a gew times I can tell that oven gets blazing hot. Any tips you could share on turning as cooking. I am using a four turn.

If you hold the turning peel in the flame for a few seconds it makes it easier to slide under the pizza

other than that its just practice i think! a good excuse to make more pizza.

your pizzas are looking good too

Back