The Berliner Weisse - (All things related discussion/lookout/pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preview

I love Berliners, but like all sours, it's really hit and miss to buy, especially off the shelf. My favorite, yet to be mentioned here yet, is the Lambicus from Bahnhof. I have to assume Uli was involved. Magic.

I love Berliners, but like all sours, it's really hit and miss to buy, especially off the shelf. My favorite, yet to be mentioned here yet, is the Lambicus from Bahnhof. I have to assume Uli was involved. Magic.
Check out the first page! I love love love the Bayerischer Bahnhof with Brett.

A few weeks ago........BerlinerPalooza.
1383439_3491781388544_768082010_n.jpg

DeGarde Blu Bu (yes, more DG, love) and Night Shift Ever Weisse were 1 & 1A out of 20-25 or so different Berliners. I saw someone mention they liked the Kuhnhenn Berliner earlier in the thread and I am all like:
yelch.gif

Dead last in Berliner tasting......(do not bang)

A few weeks ago........BerlinerPalooza.
1383439_3491781388544_768082010_n.jpg

DeGarde Blu Bu (yes, more DG, love) and Night Shift Ever Weisse were 1 & 1A out of 20-25 or so different Berliners. I saw someone mention they liked the Kuhnhenn Berliner earlier in the thread and I am all like:
yelch.gif

Dead last in Berliner tasting......(do not bang)
Can I get an official listing from left to right, top to bottom?
There are at least 5 here I cant ID from my shabby zoom-in skills and i just gotta know.

There are at least 5 here I cant ID from my shabby zoom-in skills and i just gotta know.

I will see what I can do. My buddy took the pic and I know there is some other stuff that was mixed in there beside Berliners.

Looks like we made it through 21 Berliners and we have another 21 lined up for the next one.

This is what we had as far as Berliners, go. I will rank my top 5.

Heretic Tartuffe
Lightning Sauerstrom Ale
Pipeworks Blue Lady
Pipeworks Cranpire Christmas
Pipeworks Flower Child
Pipeworks Well Read Temptress
Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner
(3)Sante Adairius Maiden Fields
(4)Schell Star of the North
The Bruery Hottenroth
Evil Twin Justin Bläbær
Westbrook Weisse Weisse Baby
(5)Perennial Peach Berliner
(2)Night Shift Ever Weisse
Night Shift Somer Weisse
(1)De Garde Blueberry Berliner
Kuhnhenn Berliner
RAPP Brewing Berliner
Homebrew - Blackberry
Homebrew - Mango
Homebrew - Peach

Looks like we made it through 21 Berliners and we have another 21 lined up for the next one.

This is what we had as far as Berliners, go. I will rank my top 5.

Heretic Tartuffe
Lightning Sauerstrom Ale
Pipeworks Blue Lady
Pipeworks Cranpire Christmas
Pipeworks Flower Child
Pipeworks Well Read Temptress
Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner
(3)Sante Adairius Maiden Fields
(4)Schell Star of the North
The Bruery Hottenroth
Evil Twin Justin Bläbær
Westbrook Weisse Weisse Baby
(5)Perennial Peach Berliner
(2)Night Shift Ever Weisse
Night Shift Somer Weisse
(1)De Garde Blueberry Berliner
Kuhnhenn Berliner
RAPP Brewing Berliner
Homebrew - Blackberry
Homebrew - Mango
Homebrew - Peach
I can send you a Mainer Weiss and Blue Lobster Piscataquaweisse for the next tasting if you don't have them.

So, no other berliner bangings took place this weekend?

I got 64oz of Goose Island Berliner talking **** in my fridge...may or may not kill that this week. I feel like I need to concoct a super crazy straw and fill 4-5 berliner bowls/goblets and use a single straw that dips into all the glasses for a super sip session.

With the weather getting cooler (frost already) im thinking of blasting my fireplace and sitting directly infront of it to feel like proper berliner consuming weather.

Ok, im getting thirsty. which one of you philly guys can get me some growlers and meet me at pizza boy for an IP exchange?

Hey stakem, looks like I'm actually going to be driving from Philly to Pittsburgh the evening of November 1. I was going to fly but flights are crazy expensive. I would be happy to do do a quick meetup at Pizza Boy on my way out if your interested. I'll come with TH growlers in tow.

Anyone ever have the Deschutes Champagne of the North berliner? I tried it at the PDX pub location, I think they only brew it onsite - super tasty though, I wish they would put it into production.

Hey stakem, looks like I'm actually going to be driving from Philly to Pittsburgh the evening of November 1. I was going to fly but flights are crazy expensive. I would be happy to do do a quick meetup at Pizza Boy on my way out if your interested. I'll come with TH growlers in tow.
I did that drive relatively recently. It's not so bad.

Anyone ever have the Deschutes Champagne of the North berliner? I tried it at the PDX pub location, I think they only brew it onsite - super tasty though, I wish they would put it into production.
I had it a few weeks ago. A bit grainier and less sour than what I'm looking for in the style, but it's undeniably well-made.

Berliner weiss has been my beer of choice most of the past summer. My favorite non fruited berliner would have to be Homewood Flossmore's berliner. They knocked it out of the park. If anyone is close to chicago, you need tohead over there next time u go to fff amd get yourself a big O goblet of it. Amazing beer!
Screenshot_2013-10-22-23-41-25.png

Drink and take photographs and put them in this thread please.

The one in the middle I have consumed 3-4 times and never took a pic. The one to the left is the same beer but 25 years older. I am planning a berliner tasting and these all will be opened along with no less than 20 other berliners.

Piscataquaweisse for the game tonight. Just seems New Englandy (and appropriate color).

ajGFqll.jpg

As for the beer taste: you have to really like plums.

Pretty new to the style. Really enjoyed the New Glarus and Crabtree offerings.
6f2dc18501a8d8e822b41b7dc287f09c_640x640.jpg

2db721bf10d608c353fb9625b4549d4a_640x640.jpg

What should I try next (still trying to get my local breweries to brew them)?

Back