The Berliner Weisse - (All things related discussion/lookout/pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calling it batch 1 is kinda silly when there was only 1 batch made and it will never be made again. ;)
Lets not start the dick waving or ill dig up the southampton berliner and schultheiss for group photo ops
You mad, bro?

Srs.

Not srs, was making fun of batch one = rare mentality. But thanks for making everyone aware it's a one off, will trade for TWO KBS now!

stakem, which Berliner homebrew method would you suggest for someone (i.e. me) who hasn't made a successful Berliner before? I had one disaster that used the Wyeast smack pack and an addition of US-05 after a few days, tasted like nothing but sulfur.

stakem, which Berliner homebrew method would you suggest for someone (i.e. me) who hasn't made a successful Berliner before? I had one disaster that used the Wyeast smack pack and an addition of US-05 after a few days, tasted like nothing but sulfur.

My buddy and I did the sour wort method as our third batch of homebrew ever. It turned out really well. I spent a lot of time researching before deciding on our method...I'd be happy to share if you're interested.

You mad, bro?

Srs.

Not srs, was making fun of batch one = rare mentality. But thanks for making everyone aware it's a one off, will trade for TWO KBS now!
But...but... didnt you and I talk about that very beer over a year or more ago on BA?
In all seriousness, that beer was kinda a big deal. It won GABF gold and was sub 500 bottles...wasnt it? Need to look on the label and see. I know they did not skimp on details on their label...only missing the brewers SSN

De Garde Blu Bu Weisse is pretty much all I could ever want out of a berliner...
imag3510.jpg

But...but... didnt you and I talk about that very beer over a year or more ago on BA?
In all seriousness, that beer was kinda a big deal. It won GABF gold and was sub 500 bottles...wasnt it? Need to look on the label and see. I know they did not skimp on details on their label...only missing the brewers SSN
Yeah we did, I was lucky enough to get a few. Down to last one and will bang soon. No bottle number info that I can see, but plenty of other info! :

P8H8yQs.jpg

im a big fan of the sour worting. it also breaks up your brewday into 2 seperate shorter brew days instead of having to dedicate an entire day to brewing which is difficult for my situation. the only downfall is that you need to be vigilant about checking pH and when the beer is ready to be pulled and finished, you gotta be ready to go too (and that time could be anywhere from 24-72 hours after your brew day started)

ive tried to e-coach a friend overseas into brewing the way I do and it just didnt work out for him. what he ended up doing and what worked best for him was doing the berliner blend primary with wild culture additions thrown in as well. there is nothing wrong with that, it just takes longer

Yeah we did, I was lucky enough to get a few. Down to last one and will bang soon. No bottle number info that I can see, but plenty of other info! :

P8H8yQs.jpg
maybe its one of the other "reductus" brews i was thinking of that had bottle #'s
or what they told me at the brewery
or i completely made that all up

Just read this entire thread. Don't have much to add other than Tartare and Bu Weisse being my favorite Berliners to date. Can't wait for Rare Barrel to open and have a Berliner on tap year round, or so I hear that's the plan.

Also, based on everything I've read, ISO: Stakem's Berliner Weisse

holy **** snacks i still have a growler of the bu weisse in my fridge
guess i should dispatch that this evening

Do you know which batch?
If it's #1, that's a mouthful. Seems to have been really well received here in state, but while we encourage a moderate acetic character to round out what could be an otherwise insipid impression of body (I mean, it's a 2% beer), it got a bit more than we liked for that first one. Subsequent versions, and all the fruited versions have dialed it back a bit.

Do you know which batch?
If it's #1, that's a mouthful. Seems to have been really well received here in state, but while we encourage a moderate acetic character to round out what could be an otherwise insipid impression of body (I mean, it's a 2% beer), it got a bit more than we liked for that first one. Subsequent versions, and all the fruited versions have dialed it back a bit.

It was the batch that was on tap along with the cranberry one during your first bottle release.

You guys should send some of your stuff down the Bay Area, because I want to try some mature cow farts.

We send them out into the wild young. Their flatulent majesty matures under the care (or neglect) of others.
And no.

We can't supply enough here yet.
If cow farts really are a thing for you (YEEEEAAAAHHH!!!), you should probably just move here.

We send them out into the wild young. Their flatulent majesty matures under the care (or neglect) of others.
And no.

We can't supply enough here yet.
If cow farts really are a thing for you (YEEEEAAAAHHH!!!), you should probably just move here.

Yea im into cow farts, horse blankets, cat pee, mouse taint, frog sack, goat grundle

I think I've had about 10 varieties of proper Berliner Weiss. Frankly, the style doesn't do much for me. Not sure why people get excited about it.

My favorite BW is from New Glarus. It was pleasantly sour, but not extreme and had a nice wheaty character. It's sub 4% and fermented with genuine lactobacillus, so this should satisfy the style Nazis. If there is a better commercial example of a classic BW, it could be Tartare. Never had it. Wouldn't try hard to get it.

I think I've had about 10 varieties of proper Berliner Weiss. Frankly, the style doesn't do much for me. Not sure why people get excited about it.

My favorite BW is from New Glarus. It was pleasantly sour, but not extreme and had a nice wheaty character. It's sub 4% and fermented with genuine lactobacillus, so this should satisfy the style Nazis. If there is a better commercial example of a classic BW, it could be Tartare. Never had it. Wouldn't try hard to get it.

Get out

My favorite BW is from New Glarus. It was pleasantly sour, but not extreme and had a nice wheaty character. It's sub 4% and fermented with genuine lactobacillus, so this should satisfy the style Nazis.

While we are on the topic of Nazis, im sure they would also be thrilled with the fact that NG's thumbprint berliner is also brewed with grapes.

All I have to say is I'm really glad no one asked where to acquire Woodruff syrup.

Noone needs to ask for woodruff. I grow sweet woodruff on my property, make syrup and hand it out like free candy while it is in season. I personally dont put it in my berliners but there are many people who do enjoy it and I like providing people with things they enjoy.

Noone needs to ask for woodruff. I grow sweet woodruff on my property, make syrup and hand it out like free candy while it is in season. I personally dont put it in my berliners but there are many people who do enjoy it and I like providing people with things they enjoy.

That's precious, but why are you continuing to quote me when you want me out of the thread?

Because you are peculiar. My get out comment was not to be a dick...it was a playful sorta jab kinda like saying "reported" to reading something you dislike.

Forgive me for saying something less than 100% positive in a beer style fanboy thread.

NEBCO really needs to sack up and put out Weisse Trash Culture full time. Hottenroth and NG are damn good too.

All about some berliners. Maybe I'll get lucky and try some Wakefields this year.

#Flaweissehypetrain

Back