The Berliner Weisse - (All things related discussion/lookout/pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was giddy with excitement to pick up a new 6-pack of berliner for $10.

Ithaca - Raspberry Souree

Just popped one open and I am not impressed. You know how some folks argue over whether or not Bells Oarsman is even a berliner because its barely tart and quite wheat ale-ish? Well thats what this is like, except maybe even less tart than oarsman is. The raspberry addition to it also seems a little fake/artificial too which irritates me because if a beer claims to be brewed with berries god damnit I dont want to have this medicinal, weird sugar substitute byproduct flavor left lingering in my mouth.

I was giddy with excitement to pick up a new 6-pack of berliner for $10.

Ithaca - Raspberry Souree

Just popped one open and I am not impressed. You know how some folks argue over whether or not Bells Oarsman is even a berliner because its barely tart and quite wheat ale-ish? Well thats what this is like, except maybe even less tart than oarsman is. The raspberry addition to it also seems a little fake/artificial too which irritates me because if a beer claims to be brewed with berries god damnit I dont want to have this medicinal, weird sugar substitute byproduct flavor left lingering in my mouth.
And this is why I love places that let me buy singles.

18195080_1741181912560427_4224049184325417640_n.jpg

De Garde Alt Bu Weisse (From the TalkBeeToo release)

Cherry. Lactic. Grainy. Tart.

Finally got around to cracking into my De Garde box from the Talk Beer / De Garde collaboration, and this is a very tasty "imperial" Berlinner Weisse. Firm head with a moderate amount of retention, little lacing even on a freshly cleaned glass. Lactic aromatics and cherry esters abound in the aroma, lactic tartness, wheat like grainy malt character, and no hopping to be found in the flavor. Dry finish with good carbonation, this is a really tasty Berlinner Weisse and I would've guessed closer to 3% than the 4.9% it is listed.

6A7F96FF-66CC-4EAB-9302-901153E090C2.jpg

GuzzleMcBrew slung this pig my way. Never heard of it before and it was the tits. Didnt get much of the barrel character which is fine by me cuz sometimes thats distracting in a berliner. Anyway, this was crispy delicious carbonated lemon juice. The kinda berliner you could fill a camelback with and chug while getting **** done outside. Would bang again, mucho approvo.

cparles gave me this one quite awhile ago. It somehow got lost in the back of my fridge.

F257E668-82CF-4BBA-8A86-EEA27CBEEECB.jpg

For as long as it has been sitting chilled, it still kicked up some weird yeast chunkage into my glass when I uncorked it. Typical lemony yogurt lacto berliner with a hint of spoiled grain/corn but nothing too offputting about it.

It was like 90 degrees out, took me longer to type this message than it did to slam the 25oz

This was my last bottle of 70's era Schultheiss. I shared it with some friends last weekend. I think we all were unanimously impressed with how well this had held up. The last time I had one from this era it tasted like lambic light - super sour and funky/bretty. This bottle was like barrel aged kombucha - lactic yet spicy with a melange of tea-like flavors and a soft vanilla-like sweetness akin to oak.
IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

And in more recent news, if anyone has the ability to acquire Live Oaks cans of berliner do not hesitate. This might be the surprise of the year for me. I already had high expectations for this one and it delivered in every way possible.

Perfect level of lactic tartness with underlying grain accent that lets you know its still there and does a decent job contrasting the lemony tartness. More gulps reveal almost a vinous addition along with a delicate spoiled grain component suggesting kettle sour method was used. When I say spoiled grain I mean this in a very subtle and enjoyable way that adds complexity to the brew not in a grose way like DMS, butyrix or isovaleric acid.

My biggest gripe about this beer is that it should come in a minimum 30oz serving size and be on shelf to buy locally so I can get it when I want without shipping costs/concerns involved. My god, what a beer. I might have to write to live oak telling them how ****ing awesome this is (like they dont already know.)

man photobucket making their pics private sure hosed the hell out of 90% of my posts here...so screw it, no more pics from me

2 new berliner bangs for me last night. North coast makes berliners now which got me quite excited. They are packaged in 22oz clear glass bottles.

Passionfruit peach berliner - about as good as you might imagine. big stone fruit presence, great tartness but just a weeee bit too much residual sweetness for my liking. regardless id buy it again because my wife chugged it

Tart cherry berliner - not nearly as good as the other. Nose has some phenolics...rubberbands mixed with almonds

Tart cherry berliner - not nearly as good as the other. Nose has some phenolics...rubberbands mixed with almonds
damn that's a bummer because the first batch that was draft only I thought was pretty tasty

man photobucket making their pics private sure hosed the hell out of 90% of my posts here...so screw it, no more pics from me

2 new berliner bangs for me last night. North coast makes berliners now which got me quite excited. They are packaged in 22oz clear glass bottles.

Passionfruit peach berliner - about as good as you might imagine. big stone fruit presence, great tartness but just a weeee bit too much residual sweetness for my liking. regardless id buy it again because my wife chugged it

imgur for life

24068227_2016759001669382_3157586901951617429_n.jpg

More Brewing Company Sourenity Now! (Strawberry / Kiwi) Berliner Weiss

Tart. Fruity. Light. Grainy.

Leftovers we didn't get to on Thanksgiving, but really enjoying this light tart Berliner Weiss on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Strawberry sweetness up front with the kiwi character coming in on the finish, tart hit up front, but mellows into a grainy / lightly tart finish. Highly carbed, and very dry on the finish. Pretty impressive considering what the brewery is known for (Pastry stouts and hazy hop forward offerings).

Cheers!

Back