The Beer Mile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgregg

Reaction score
My family has a slight competitive streak in it. So once we heard about the "beer mile" it was only a matter of time until we tried it. Here are the official rules- http://www.beermile.com . The only real running tracks around us are at high schools and since we were't too sure about the legalities of having a table full of beer on school grounds we decided to run our beer mile on the road in front of my brothers house. He lives in a cul-de-sac with little traffic. We drank Busch cans.
Using 2 gps watches we marked out a starting point and the turnaround point 1/8 mile down the road. With the tailgate of my truck as the beer table for the 6 of us running it we had a non-participant start a timer and off we went.
I was worried about the idea of running with a belly full of beer, but for me the hardest part was trying to slam down a beer while breathing hard after a 1/4 mile run each time. My younger brother(ex-marine, 3:00hr marathon runner) won the race with a time of 7:30. As a 38 year old 5'10" 210 pounder I was happy with my 4th place finish and a time of 8:15.
While there were times I wanted to throw up during the run, all in all it was a good time. Now I just need to practice slamming beers while winded so I can hopefully improve on my time when we do our next beer mile memorial day weekend!
If anyone else loves the idea of combining binge drinking with legitimate athletic competition I would highly recommend running one of these.

My family has a slight competitive streak in it. So once we heard about the "beer mile" it was only a matter of time until we tried it. Here are the official rules- http://www.beermile.com . The only real running tracks around us are at high schools and since we were't too sure about the legalities of having a table full of beer on school grounds we decided to run our beer mile on the road in front of my brothers house. He lives in a cul-de-sac with little traffic. We drank Busch cans.
Using 2 gps watches we marked out a starting point and the turnaround point 1/8 mile down the road. With the tailgate of my truck as the beer table for the 6 of us running it we had a non-participant start a timer and off we went.
I was worried about the idea of running with a belly full of beer, but for me the hardest part was trying to slam down a beer while breathing hard after a 1/4 mile run each time. My younger brother(ex-marine, 3:00hr marathon runner) won the race with a time of 7:30. As a 38 year old 5'10" 210 pounder I was happy with my 4th place finish and a time of 8:15.
While there were times I wanted to throw up during the run, all in all it was a good time. Now I just need to practice slamming beers while winded so I can hopefully improve on my time when we do our next beer mile memorial day weekend!
If anyone else loves the idea of combining binge drinking with legitimate athletic competition I would highly recommend running one of these.

You did way better than Lance Armstrong. And without EPO!

http://www.runnersworld.com/beer-mile/lance-armstrong-tries-beer-mile-does-not-finish

Haha awesome, 8:15 is really solid time, have run a few and think my best was about 20 minutes!

The first couple beers go down so easy but #'s 3 and 4 are like foamy bricks in the stomach and it's hard to burp it out. :eek:

Happy running!

Back