Greatness: always out of reach?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea who or what "Genus" might be.
I use 1 tsp of Ascorbic Acid powder dissolved in 30ml of warm water, injected into each pre-purged 5 gallon keg just prior to filling...

Cheers!

I have no idea who or what "Genus" might be.
I use 1 tsp of Ascorbic Acid powder dissolved in 30ml of warm water, injected into each pre-purged 5 gallon keg just prior to filling...

Cheers!

Genus Brewing on YouTube. I thought I mentioned that channel in my prior post. Sorry about that. Here's a video where Peter from Genus goes into more detail.

Great can be the enemy of good and vice versa. Great can also be a phantom. I'm happy with good to very good. Right now my focus is on optimizing the process, and optimizing/limiting the variety of beers that I brew, as well as the number of hops, malts and yeasts that I have on hand. Keeping it simple, small, fun, easy and good is the sweet spot for me.

I dont brew beer. Have been making Mead and Hard Cider for a lot of years.

Great topic, it applies as well.

I dont get do competitions. Im pleased when a Mead or Cider is what I consider good enough to be shared with friends and family. With that said, as i have learned and continue to perfect my techniques, practices and protocols what i now consider to be worthy of sharing has evolved as well. What once was a good Mead or Cider now may not make the cut.

We all have our own preferences, likes and dislikes and yes at times can be very critical of our craft. Some i thought were just ok, yet my friends and family 9ften like them enough to request them. That feels good.

Part of the fun of what we do is the experimentation. Brewing beer, fermenting honey or apple juice all have so many variables as it relates to the base ingredients and flavors that can be added that the options are almost endless. Whats exciting for me is to see what works and try the next "thing".

Think of it this way, if i only make a traditional mead and make it to what i consider as near perfect as i could get. How boring would that be? BUT... if i make a "good" traditional, melomel, acerglyn, bouchet etc,. Thats like walking into a Tap Room and picking what to drink by the mood or current preference i have at that moment.

Brew on (or ferment on) enjoy the journey!

It's artificially labelled as great beer because it's been judged to have limited flaws at that moment in time and the knowledge of having limited flaws exists within the realm of those giving the label "great beer". In other words, at that time there exists causation to label it as great thus the label given by those with apriori knowledge is negated and as time passes so does the label "great beer".

The label "great beer" is still just a perception that happens at certain times with well brewed beer.

You could apply that level of fleeting fancy to anything such that states of being are meaningless. Are you happy? Are you alive? Is this a philosophy lecture or a beer forum?

philosophy lecture
BJCP judging reaches toward objectivity - very commenable, for sure. Speaking of philosophy, I'm big on empiricism. And skepticism. And science. But...

My curiosity in launching this thread is tied firmly to the brewer's subjective judgment - perhaps informed (or misinformed) by others' judgments, but mostly driven by one's experience of one's own beers.

"Woo"? Or maybe just less interesting to some than others.

BJCP judging reaches toward objectivity - very commenable, for sure. Speaking of philosophy, I'm big on empiricism. And skepticism. And science. But...

My curiosity in launching this thread is tied firmly to the brewer's subjective judgment - perhaps informed (or misinformed) by others' judgments, but mostly driven by one's experience of one's own beers.

"Woo"? Or maybe just less interesting to some than others.
Got it. All I can say is that I've thought my brews were great even when they were objectively not. However, MI didn't learn of that until my taste became more refined. In a way, understanding and recognizing typical flaws is a curse because despite being advanced enough to avoid most problems, it stings way harder when they pop up. My biggest frustration lately is not being able to repeat great beers, even to the level of the previous batch. I guess the question, properly aligned with the spirit of this thread, is whether my beer is actually very close to what it was and my expectation were subconsciously elevated, or does it actually suck?

I can relate to the frustration @Bobby_M describes. I've tried to accept that, even with solid and consistent process and ingredients, I'm going to get somewhat varied results including flaws that even i can detect.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, both because I can't reliably reproduce the moments of "greatness" I crave, and because I can't escape the sense that my process isn't as fully under my control as I want to believe.

There's bound to be some frustration and disappointment along the way. But also considerable joy. I celebrate the high points and my ability to make varied, interesting, tasty beers almost all the time.

Cheers!

Another reason to not start a brewery :) Can you imagine dealing with the variation on a large scale? You would pull your hair out.

For me, the largest variable in homebrewing is yeast. I decided a little while back that I would focus on my yeast handling and try to get a consistent repeatable workflow going. Still an ongoing work in progress but it is a goal.

I do find it interesting how just changing the serving temperature and carbonation level can influence how a beer is perceived.

An Italian wine tour guide told me that a bottle of wine is a conversation, which begins when the cork is pulled and progresses until the bottle is empty. Classically, this happens during a meal, so the food influences things. The first sip and the last may be quite different.

As with wine, our perception of the beer also changes depending on what's going on in our mouths. With a batch of beer, the "conversation" is much longer. Things may change as the beer itself changes - conditioning, aging, staling, as @huckdavidson hinted. Many factors influence the beer experience, as @Red over White notes. Even the serving vessel affects perception as @Skeeter686 says. So many variables, which BJCP protocols seek to limit but cannot fully avoid.

My overall judgment of a batch of beer accumulates over time. First impressions matter more, as with meeting someone new. Even if "greatness" might be thought of as a momentary phenomenon as Huck said, what I'm hoping is that an overall exceptional batch can be more reliably repeated, and that I'll somehow feel even happier with more of my beers.

Educating my palate might help, but could also backfire - @Bobby_M's "curse" from #47, above. Other help could come from developing beer knowledge per @Bassman2003 in #7 and seeking BJCP-type feedback per Bobby in #20. But the "rising bar" problem resists these practical approaches. Perhaps I need to redefine it as a feature, not a bug.

Yes, success and our palettes' are a moving target. For me, it is a fun hobby and while I am into the tech and knowledge, I try to stay in the camp of just making beer at home. Otherwise I fear burnout will set in.

I also find that through the course of a keg I tend to warm up to any beer I make. I do not know the psychology behind that but it is repeatable!

I think time and patience is also what separates good from greatness. Many here always push the "just give it time" when questions come up about a particular brew not going as expected, and they are right.

I made a recent attempt at a Mexi-lager. I had most if not all the ingredients on hand for a Pacifico clone. I made a 3L starter of Que Bueno yeast and was hoping to do a pressurized fermentation at around 66F/15psi. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my All-Rounder to seal so I just gave up and left it to fate. The beer fermented at 74F vs the recommended mid 50s. Initial tastes seemed a bit sulfury and it looked very cloudy. At one point, I thought about dumping it. The brew day wasn't my best and I was just kinda done with it. I waited about 3 weeks, then kegged it and put it in the fridge for a month before touching it. Even though this is one of my beers that over attenuated (6.5% abv), it's one of my favorite beers on tap right now. Also, now I know that Que Bueno is a pretty robust lager yeast when fermenting at higher temps. It's cleared up a lot too. Pic below, (no finings added). Because of the hot ferment, I called it Caliente Lagerito.

Glad I didn't dump it...

Mexi-lager.jpg

I definitely agree with many of the posts here. Greatness (as I would define it for myself) is always out of reach one way or another. I’ve been brewing for a long time now and every once in a while I feel like I’ve taken a few steps back and several batches in a row are disappointing.

Latest posts

Back