Temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrack

Reaction score
Hi, came back home to find the probe on my fermentation chamber had slipped out and it was about five degrees too hot in there.
Turned it down to just under the upper limit for the yeast but then I thought maybe it'd be better to leave it a bit hotter so the variation was less?
What you reckon?

How long had fermentation being going before this happened and what yeast did you pitch? What was the desired ferm temp and the highest temp it reached?

It had only started recently, morning after brew till that eve.
One is mangrove jack's wit which is probably ok other is Imperial juice. Got to 26c now 23. Slowly cooling it off now. Maybe not ideal as it's reverse my normal process. I'm not too bothered about the juice, it's not that interesting a beer but the other one is a kettle sour so a lot of work gone into it and I'm planning on adding several hours foraging worth of Scottish billberries..

You're right that temperature fluctuations promote ester formation. However my gut feel would be that if it's outside the desired range (not necessarily the range on the spec sheet, but the range you're targetting for a particular yeast profile - eg if going for banana or cloves on a hefe) then it's more important to get it back within the range and just live with the effect of the fluctuation. If it's within the happy range but not quite where you want it, then I'd leave it.

So you did the right thing.

Just ramp it down over a few hours. Yeast only produce more esters when stressed. Being that they generate heat during a fermentation, I'd say that 5 degrees fluctuation over a few hours isn't enough to stress them.

There's certainly a paper kicking round that showed more ?esters? being produced from a ramp from 66F to 60F than just leaving it at the higher temperature, and the flavours generated from an initial free rise are pretty essential to British beer.

But in this case it's kinda which is the lesser of two evils.

Hi all. Noob here. Have a temp question. I have an upright freezer with an inkbird. I am usimg Wyeast 1010 wheat. (Range 58-72). Any suggestions on how tight to keep the temp setting? I have it at 64 with a 3 degree flucuation. I have noticed the temp gets down to about 60 once its kicked on. It does not seem to get past 68 on the high end.

Is this too much of a swing? Should i have a heater wrap on the fermenter?

Does it make a huge difference to keep temp within a few degrees or just at one?

Thank you all!

Hi all. Noob here. Have a temp question. I have an upright freezer with an inkbird. I am usimg Wyeast 1010 wheat. (Range 58-72). Any suggestions on how tight to keep the temp setting? I have it at 64 with a 3 degree flucuation. I have noticed the temp gets down to about 60 once its kicked on. It does not seem to get past 68 on the high end.

Is this too much of a swing? Should i have a heater wrap on the fermenter?

Does it make a huge difference to keep temp within a few degrees or just at one?

Thank you all!

I'd probably change the setting to a smaller fluctuation, maybe as tight as one degree. Your beer temp won't change very quickly so your freezer won't be turning on very frequently anyway. You don't want a heater wrap unless your room temp gets below the inkbird setting.

I'd probably change the setting to a smaller fluctuation, maybe as tight as one degree. Your beer temp won't change very quickly so your freezer won't be turning on very frequently anyway. You don't want a heater wrap unless your room temp gets below the inkbird setting.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back