Fermentation Chamber - Temp Control Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Snell

Reaction score
Hi - I'm in process of setting up a fermentation chamber using an old Kegerator and have a few questions I wanted some input on:
  • Kegerator has a temp adjustment on it and from what I've seen can range from about 25 at the coldest setting to about 55 at the highest setting. I plan to add an Inkbird to set the temperature more precisely and warmer than the 55 degree highest setting. Once I have the Inkbird installed, what's the best setting on the Kegerator to put the least amount of stress on it? Is it better to set it at the coldest setting, the warmest OR whatever setting is closest to whatever fermentation temp I'm trying to hit (ie - for lagering...put it to the coldest; for ales...put it at the highest setting). Didn't know if there would be less temp swings one way or another. Might be over-thinking it (highly likely!), but want to make sure it's not only stable, but also puts the least amount of stress on the Kegerator and cycling on/off.
  • Given that I live in a fairly warm climate (Arizona and with a HEAVILY insulated garage with heat/AC which is where by chamber will be located), is there any reason to worry about a heat source in the kegerator.....seems like it would be pretty rare to have to worry about warming things up!
Thanks in advance!

Set your kegerator to it's coldest setting and then connect it to your Inkbird. Also, put the temperature probe on your fermenter and insulate it with bubble wrap. This will allow the Inkbird to measure the beer temperature which is more stable than the air temperature. It also causes longer but fewer cycles on the compressor which is better than frequent short cycles.

Hi - I'm in process of setting up a fermentation chamber using an old Kegerator and have a few questions I wanted some input on:
  • Kegerator has a temp adjustment on it and from what I've seen can range from about 25 at the coldest setting to about 55 at the highest setting. I plan to add an Inkbird to set the temperature more precisely and warmer than the 55 degree highest setting. Once I have the Inkbird installed, what's the best setting on the Kegerator to put the least amount of stress on it? Is it better to set it at the coldest setting, the warmest OR whatever setting is closest to whatever fermentation temp I'm trying to hit (ie - for lagering...put it to the coldest; for ales...put it at the highest setting). Didn't know if there would be less temp swings one way or another. Might be over-thinking it (highly likely!), but want to make sure it's not only stable, but also puts the least amount of stress on the Kegerator and cycling on/off.
  • Given that I live in a fairly warm climate (Arizona and with a HEAVILY insulated garage with heat/AC which is where by chamber will be located), is there any reason to worry about a heat source in the kegerator.....seems like it would be pretty rare to have to worry about warming things up!
Thanks in advance!

Basically you want the inkbird to be the source of control so the built in fridge thermostat is just disabled by turning it lower than you'll ever need.

Latest posts

Back