Temperature Control for American Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewbieVet3

Reaction score
Hello all,

Am making an American amber ale from the Brewing Classic Styles recipe book. The recipe calls for fermentation at 67F/19C, but can anyone tell me if there are temperature step increases/decreases for ale fermentation like there are for lagers? Or is it a simple 67F until attenuation? I searched around but couldn’t find anything indicating temperature steps during fermentation. Thanks!

Depending on what yeast you use, a cooler start (low 60's, perhaps high 50's) followed by letting the beer rise to room temp when the fermentation slows can work well but contolling the temp at 67 for the entirety would also be fine. The only problem that may arise is if you don't have a way to keep the temp at 67 as the yeast activity will naturally bring the temp up.

Thanks everyone. I’m going to use a temp-regulated chest freezer to control the fermentation and keep it at 67. Thanks for the thoughts!

Back