swmbo is working on saturday..what should i brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my wife's working on the 28th. I want to brew but I'm not sure what. I want to make a lager that I can store for a year or two so I was thinking a doppelbock or schwartzbier. I have some washed German lager yeast from my helles. Both beers sound pretty tasty but I don't know which one I want. Advice or other options?

Can you get away with a double brew day? ;)

I've not yet gotten into schwartzbiers, but love a good dopplebock!

Schwartz is one of the few styles I've yet to find commercially and experience. So I vote schwartzbier. We will eventually meet up again, and I can steal some from you :D

Brew whatcha feel like! My wife and kids are going school shopping this Sat. so my plan is to brew too. But I might brew TWO! (Get it, a play on words...?)

I have a Stout on the schedule, and a IIPA, and a Wit (or blonde, or mild, or some other session beer. I can't make up my mind...)

I went to the LHBS last night and picked up a sack of Golden Promise. Looks like an interesting malt. Curious to see how it compares to the regular 2-row I've been using.

One beer that I love but never attempted is a blonde dopplebock. It's by Capital Brewery, from Madison Wisconsin. I even chatted to John Palmer about it this summer, because I'm thinking about it for next winter. http://www.capital-brewery.com/ourbeers/blondedopp.html

It's rich like a dopplebock, but colored more like a maibock. It's a rich malty lager with tons of flavor, but it's approachable by non-dark beer lovers.

If you make a blonde dopplebock, I promise to come down and drink some! :D

I'd go with the schwarz. Are you seriously going to lager it for 2 years? Good Lord!

No. But I plan to make 11 gal drnk some bottle some and store it for comps throuout the year.

Yoop: I've been wanting to do a maibock too... I might have enough pils to do it. Takes about a half sack and 10lbs of Munich...ill think about it... I got a week to decide

Da Schwartz it is.. heres my label prototype. I need to do something with the green part but im not sure yet. Im no graphics artist and have next to no skill so im not sure what I can do to make that part look cool. Any suggestions?

DaSchwartz.png

Under Flavor: you wrote "This one is probably slightly over they style for the roasty flavor."

But I think it's a real cool label. What kind of software do you use to do that?

Back