Minimum lagering tank size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foragedbrews

Reaction score
So, whilst I still greatly enjoy mixed and wild fermented beers, I have grown an appreciation for well made pilsners and lagers generally... But my question is, at what batch size does a dedicated conditioning tank has value and contribute to the process? And I'm not talking theoretically, I mean people who have tried different batch sizes what have you found actually produces a result? My girlfriend and I have taken on a home with a workshop outside the front door which is, at least in part, obviously becoming a brewery. I need to do work on it to make it habitable for brewing, which I'm going to do on weekends with the landlord (they're that kind of country folk) so I am yet to decide what size of brewhouse I want... but I am genuinely considering lagering options.

Does it even have anything to do with batch size?

If you want to lager the beer afaik it's a process largely independent on batch size other than a container that accomodates the volume, and a cooling/lagering area that accomodates the container size. But, other factors like ABV can play in.

Last edited:
Does it even have anything to do with batch size?

If you want to lager the beer afaik it's a process largely independent on batch size other than a container that accomodates the volume. But, other factors like ABV can play in.
The purpose of lagering tanks is that they're allowing for greater horizontal surface area for yeast to settle out of suspension faster. Considering homebrewing volumes, this is significantly smaller than, say, a Budvar lagering tank and the difference between vertical and horizontal drop will be lower. There's also significantly lower hydrostatic pressure (something homebrewers don't have to contend with nearly as much when considering autolysing yeast off flavours and why conical fermenters are not as impactful for most homebrewers). You wouldn't need three months for yeast to fall out in a 19L corny keg, whether it's upright or on its side.

Last edited:
The use of "surface area" in the explanation is potentially misleading, as it's really about the tank geometry being shallow as was correctly described, which in turn requires horizontal dimensions that will accommodate the batch size. I could see a home brewer in a hurry but adverse to using finings using a cornelius keg on its side with an appropriately modified dip tube to speed up the brightening process. For the rest of us, time is our fining :)

Cheers!

I wonder if there's any relation to cool ships and Yorkshire Squares.
But fermentation /= laagering (<- Google insists on that spelling :confused:)

Cheers!

I wonder if there's any relation to cool ships and Yorkshire Squares.
But fermentation /= laagering (<- Google insists on that spelling :confused:)

Cheers!
yeah, I'm not referring to fermentation here. I don't think so as Yorkshire squares are designed for cropping yeast, they're controlled fermentation. Coolships are just for inoculation and then they're transferred to ferm vessels.

Back