Lager Yeast That Doesn't Make Diacetyl (PRE-ORDER NOW)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I'm getting a bunch of Homebrew Packs of Omega's Bayern DKO (OYL-433) so I'm offering it as preorder right now. Should be here by the end of August.

Bayern is an extremely versatile German lager strain that I and many of my local friends use on anything from Helles, German Pils, Vienna Lagers, Munich Dunkels, Doppelbocks, and more. 2nd place NHC German Pils this year was Bayern. Same brewer also took two back to back best of shows with a Vienna lager with the same.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/oyl-433_dko.htm

Love the science Omega is doing overall. Curious if the enzyme they are saying is in this yeast to prevent Diacetyl production is ALDC which functions the same?

Note that this yeast is now in stock and is no longer a pre-order. Shipping immediately. I'm not sure it's something we'll be able to regularly stock unless a moderate demand is maintained, but get it while it's VERY fresh.

Note that this yeast is now in stock and is no longer a pre-order. Shipping immediately. I'm not sure it's something we'll be able to regularly stock unless a moderate demand is maintained, but get it while it's VERY fresh.
I'm definitely intrigued. Have you tested the DKO and noticed any differences between that and the standard Bayern strain?

No, I just got these in for the first time. My very next brew is going to be a split batch of Marzen that I think will be tested as follows:

1. Standard Bayern - Femented at 48F, D-rest at 60F at 20% remaining attenuation for one week, lager at 35F.
2. Standard Bayern - Fermented at 48F to terminal, Slow crash 5F/day. Lager at 35F.
3. Bayern DKO - Fermented at 48F to terminal, Slow crash 5F/day. Lager at 35F.

I would expect 1 and 3 to be good and 2 to have some diacetyl but at my normal (BIG) pitch rates on lagers, it may not be a particularly extreme difference.

No, I just got these in for the first time. My very next brew is going to be a split batch of Marzen that I think will be tested as follows:

1. Standard Bayern - Femented at 48F, D-rest at 60F at 20% remaining attenuation for one week, lager at 35F.
2. Standard Bayern - Fermented at 48F to terminal, Slow crash 5F/day. Lager at 35F.

I would expect 1 and 3 to be good and 2 to have some diacetyl but at my normal (BIG) pitch rates on lagers, it may not be a particularly extreme difference.
Sounds like a solid plan. I just may have to order some because I am already a big fan of the standard pack.

👍👍 on the service Bobby. I received my order almost the day you shipped it, which was very close to the manufacture date. The only downside was summertime shipping. Even with the ice pack, summer heat and USPS found a way to deliver it on the ‘warm’ side of ‘cool.’

Life events got in the way so I haven’t yet had the chance to brew with it yet. But I will make a viability starter in the next few days and build up a starter. Really looking forward to doing a split batch between the OLY “Bayern” and Augustiner in an upcoming Oktoberfest.

Thanks again for the quick turnaround.

Just received the Bayern DKO pack today, and the yeast was still cool to the touch! Can't wait to overbuild a starter and use this in a Helles.

Just received the Bayern DKO pack today, and the yeast was still cool to the touch! Can't wait to overbuild a starter and use this in a Helles.
Life keeps getting in the way. I still haven’t even stepped up a starter with mine. I’d hoped to have a Festbier lagering by now. Had a great Labor Day weekend though (except for J. Buffet passing). Hopefully something will be kegged by Thanksgiving. Keep us posted on your Bayern brew!

This starter took off yesterday just hours after pitching the yeast. And this morning has a nice krausen. No doubt this yeast is fresh and healthy!

Attachments

• 1694434852553196034220204984216.jpg
    1694434852553196034220204984216.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Helles is currently fermenting at 52F and bubbling away.
That ought to be great. I still haven’t brewed what I want to get from a Helles. I know my grist is solid, so it’s gotta’ be the yeast. I’ve tried Auggie, Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, etc. They’re ’good’ but not great. Not giving up till I get it right.

That ought to be great. I still haven’t brewed what I want to get from a Helles. I know my grist is solid, so it’s gotta’ be the yeast. I’ve tried Auggie, Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, etc. They’re ’good’ but not great. Not giving up till I get it right.
I hope it's a great one! My grist was a bit off the beaten path and might actually fall into the Festbier territory... but, if it's maltier than expected, that's okay with me. Very curious to see how to yeast performs as well.

I hope it's a great one! My grist was a bit off the beaten path and might actually fall into the Festbier territory... but, if it's maltier than expected, that's okay with me. Very curious to see how to yeast performs as well.

I love all the German strains. Andechs is #1 on my list right now, but I’m really looking forward to brewing with the Bayern I got from @Bobby_M a few weeks ago. Missed out on brewing an Oktoberfest this year. Just ran out of time to do one. Might try a sticke beer for the Christmas festival season. Used to love the Winterfest in Frankfurt and glugwein.

Prost!

Well, after 6 days at 52, airlock activity has ceased. I'm going to give it 4-5 more days and then transfer to a keg. I don't even want to touch it until then.

Took a sample, and it fermented down to 1.008 from 1.046, about 82% attenuation. No sulfur or diacetyl detected. The sample is surprisingly clean for 12 days. I'm going to slow crash to 35F and then transfer to a keg for lagering.

Overall, this was a strong fermenter and didn't produce any perceivable diacetyl. This was also low in sulfur production. Great all around workhorse lager strain. I overbuilt a starter, so I'll be using this particular strain for another few batches.

I kegged mine tonight. I was pretty close on the pitch rate, but the packs of plain Bayern (non DKO) were two weeks younger and fermented much harder. I'm picking up Acetaldehyde in the DKO one and that's the problem I was concerned about skipping the D rest.

I'm picking up Acetaldehyde in the DKO one and that's the problem I was concerned about skipping the D rest.
Do you plan on adding fresh wort to the DKO batch to try and clean up the acetaldehyde? Any chance that this strain produces apple esters? I think I've seen that reported about the Bayern strain in other forums.

Last edited:
Do you plan on adding fresh wort to the DKO batch to try and clean up the acetaldehyde? Any chance that this strain produces apple esters? I think I've seen that reported about the Bayern strain in other forums.
I've used Bayern 30 times and haven't had any apple. I'm pretty sure it's just that the DKO viability was a bit under what I calculated and really didn't give it a chance since it never got above 50F at any point. I think it just showed me that DKO it's just insurance and you'd still want to D rest it.

I think it just showed me that DKO it's just insurance and you'd still want to D rest it.
Good point. Still a good practice to perform a D rest to remove other residual off flavors, even if diacetyl is not a concern.

Last edited:
@Bobby_M I did notice that this yeast flocculated pretty quickly as well. Further adding to the idea that using a D rest would be useful in case this yeast wants to give up too quickly and fall out of suspension.

Back