Surprised by yeast's activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I made a white IPA last Friday. For yeast I used a combination of harvested Bry-97 which I used originally to make NB's Smash Pale Ale and Wyeast 3944 which I used to make a 1.052 Blue Moon clone. I made two steps for the starter as I anticipated an OG of 1.078 based on the grain bill and other ingredients (I used AIH's summer wheat as a base) and then added a pound of corn sugar and 3.3 pounds of pale LME. I was disappointed and surprised that my OG was only 1.062. I had been getting much better efficiency in my last several BIAB batches. Anyway - I pitched the VERY VIABLE starter into chilled and aerated wort on Friday into a fermentation bucket. The starter was really strong - it popped the foam stopper right off the flask a couple of times, so I know the yeast was good. However, I didn't see any airlock activity in the bucket (around 64 degrees) until Tuesday. I figured with a healthy starter that was that aggressive that airlock would be going more quickly than that. I know an airlock is not a true indicator of fermentation and the only way to tell is with a hydrometer, but I was surprised it took 4 days to show airlock activity. Any feedback? Hopefully the beer turns out well. I also added some grains of paradise and orange peel to it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm okay. I just figured if there was a leak in the bucket that the airlock would NEVER bubble. I didn't think it would start after 4 days. AIH told me via e-mail that those yeasts do better in the low 70's, so maybe they just took their time getting going. Anyway - they said all should be good. It just might take a few extra days to get to FG.

BRY-97 is a notoriously slow starter, but you could well have a minor leak. No big deal.

I know it has that rep, but I've not really had that experience with it and I THOUGHT that it being HARVESTED and being a very active STARTER would negate its famous "long lag" but maybe it's the nature of the yeast itself - whether a starter has been made with harvested yeast or if it's first generation. Anyway - hopefully all is good.

Nah, it's just a slow one. That reputation has been gained relative to other dry yeast that have been treated the same way. Just imagine you or me going up against Usain Bolt - it doesn't matter whether we're on a bike or in a swimming pool, in absolute terms we will be quicker or slower than if we just ran, but relative to Bolt we're still going to be slower. Unless we can persuade the Swedish handball team to distract him...

Took a gravity sample yesterday - a week after brew day. There was still a big krausen atop the beer, but the sample tasted, smelled and looked really good. Beer is down to 1.012 so I'll let it sit for another week before dry hopping with 1 oz. of columbus and 1 oz. of cascade. Both are home grown leaf hops. High hopes for this one!

The FG looks on point, so it's probably done. The dry hopping will most likely add great aroma to the final beer.

Cheers!

Beer got down to about 1.010 by yesterday's dry hopping. I'll bottle it up next week in hopes of it making its debut for the 4th of July. I think next up is just an easy extract batch as I picked up 3 extract kits from NB a while back on sale I should probably brew them soon. I ordered Dead Ringer, Phat Tyre and C. Slobber. I'm going to do the Dead Ringer next as I prefer hop-based beers in the summer and then the amber and brown ale will make for some good football season brews.

Back