Lager yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lager as I drink the keg. :) I don’t mind the lagers a little green. They clean up as the keg goes down though.
i thought we all do this. i was always surprised when others say they lager for so long. how can you stare at a keg of beer that gets better by tthe day and not take a sip. i got smaller beer glasses for tastings so the keg lasts longer. 😜 .

i thought we all do this. i was always surprised when others say they lager for so long. how can you stare at a keg of beer that gets better by tthe day and not take a sip. i got smaller beer glasses for tastings so the keg lasts longer. 😜 .

Floating dip tubes can be a boon to impatient lagerers.

Floating dip tubes can be a boon to impatient lagerers.
i have put them in and out of my carts on several different online stores over the last few months. but havent pulled the trigger . its not the price which i have seen on sale for as low as 9 $. its the few threads i have seen on them drawing air or having issues. everything is running fine in the kegerator right now ( toi-toi-toi) and someitmes i just hate to upset that thing. she can be so sensitive. 😉 evertime im about to hti purchase i get that if it aint borke dont fix it feeling.

what brand you use and have you ever had issues with yours?

another aside. gelatin- omg gelatin. so much quicker clearing.

sorry thread jacking again. as usual

I brew like I BBQ,low and slow. With 24 kegs and a 3 leg lagerator with CO2 it takes 4-6 weeks before a tap is open. On the other end of the spectrum is my friend who is new I think 1 or so years and is compiling equipment as he can. He has limited kegs and pressure ferments in them with a top draw and is drinking in less then a month. He brings them to thr pool and they are delicious.

I have plenty of other things I enjoy doing or drinking to keep me distracted. For me there is a bit of the anticipation factor too, like to open a gift.

The maibock I have going isn't going anywhere until May-ish.

Last edited:

I use Torpedo Keg Floating Buoy Dip Tubes. Once, I had the floating ball stick against the side of the keg, causing the keg to apparently "kick" even though it was still about half full. Since then, I've been hanging a stainless steel washer on the tube (i.e. running the tube through a stainless steel washer before attaching to the short liquid side dip, and have had no new issues.

I had 5 floating dip tubes I bought at various times over the last couple of years, love them. I recently pulled the trigger on another 1/2 dozen off Alibaba for $20, delivered. Had to wait 2 weeks but they are no different then the ones I bought from the homebrew retailers and ebay, except the price.

Wish I could find floating dip tubes or something for sanke kegs. Would like to move away from the ball lock connectors and on to commercial connectors, just less failure points.

Or we can put cupcakes in the primary etc...
LMAO! I loved that. This reminds me of something I said in a homebrewing Facebook group. A guy asked if it would be too weird to use Vienna Malt in a Pale Ale. I replied, "You are asking if using an actual brewing malt would be weird when people are mashing kid's cereal? WTF!"

I've been hanging a stainless steel washer on the tube (i.e. running the tube through a stainless steel washer before attaching to the short liquid side dip, and have had no new issues.
Thank you! This a simple solution to the ball pickups spitting co2. I'll give it a try next batch.

I brew mostly lagers and lagering times can vary a lot depending on yeast strains, the health of the fermentation, style and gravity. I'm no slacker when it comes to these beers, at the risk of bragging, I have won 4 silvers medals for lagers in the last 3 years at NHC. So I pay close attention to the beers as they age and if a lager tastes great at 2 weeks, it will only get better as it lagers. 8 weeks from brew day seems to be the sweet spot for lighter lagers and most lagers 1.060 and under.

I love Keller beer, but as it clears the beer goes from wonderful to sublime in roughly 6-8weeks.

Thank you! This a simple solution to the ball pickups spitting co2. I'll give it a try next batch.

I brew mostly lagers and lagering times can vary a lot depending on yeast strains, the health of the fermentation, style and gravity. I'm no slacker when it comes to these beers, at the risk of bragging, I have won 4 silvers medals for lagers in the last 3 years at NHC. So I pay close attention to the beers as they age and if a lager tastes great at 2 weeks, it will only get better as it lagers. 8 weeks from brew day seems to be the sweet spot for lighter lagers and most lagers 1.060 and under.

I love Keller beer, but as it clears the beer goes from wonderful to sublime in roughly 6-8weeks.
i had to look up keller beer.

there are so many variations of lager it seems like i always find a new one i havent heard of.

the image in wikipedia is pretty clear for a "cloudy" beer
1705605245838.png

i like the idea of embracing suspended yeast which is very unlager like where we usually want to get all the yeast out of the beer.

i had my frist hazy lager last weeak form sand city brewing in northport. it was opaque . i was pleasantly suprised.

In my view, "kellerbier" isn't so much a "style" as it is a fanciful and often accepted excuse for allowing lager to be served young & green before it's really finished. I hear people saying that the extra yeast and/or protein lends a nice body and adds a pleasant character. I don't believe any of that. I've had some good kellerbiers but my bet is that the ones that taste great are because the lager was well made and will still get only better after another couple months of aging. Heh.... I see "kellerbier" on the sides of cans or bottles sometimes..... what a load of crap. As soon as that beer sits for a few months, it's just a regular lager. If it's still a little hazy or benefits from extra yeast or protein in suspension after that point... naw, come on. And any "kellerbier" that is anywhere close to resembling an opaquely hazy juicy NEIPA, at least in appearance, is a lame excuse for a poorly made lager where they either used way too much adjunct, way too many hops, or the wrong yeast, and passing it off as a "kellerbier" helps it to sell in some way. Maybe they'd be better off selling it as a noble NEIPA at that point.

1705615932879.png

[/oldmanyellsatcloud]

OK, sorry to revive an old thread but I am pretty pumped. I am at the 3 week plus time frame, the keg has been lagering in my kegerator for about 2.5 weeks at about 35 or so degrees. I took a pint after the first week in the keg and it was really strong. Overpowering smell and taste of what I thought was lemon or something like that. Not bad, but certainly not what I was going for. I left it a week and took another small glass full. Seemed a bit more mellow, not as "in your face" with the smell and taste. I am now at almost week 3 and it tastes so much better. Very light, clear and very malty with a taste of lemon or something similar. I really like this beer. This could be one of those that you can drink on a summer afternoon as it is a light crisp beer. Thanks to all who gave me input during the process. This is definitely a keeper.

Back