Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animarex

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm not too sure where to post this, but I could use a hand. To jump into things, this is what I started with:

4 gallons water
5lbs cane sugar
24oz molasses
1 packet fleischmann's yeast

Started the fermentation on 5/9/18 with an original gravity of 1.060. There wasn't much activity in the airlock 36 hours after sitting, so I decided to open her up and pitch another packet of yeast. When I opened it, you can see some gases rising in the mixture (tiny bubbles, like bugs on a lake). I blame the lack of activity in the airlock in a possible small leak near the spout, because I have seen a drop or two of mash on the towel I use to prop it up.

Today, 5/15/18, I took a sample of the mash to measure alcohol content. Using a refractometer, I measured 35% v/v, and I assumed that was way off and plan on calibrating that later. Instead, I took my hydrometer and measured a gravity of 1.040.

I know it has only been 6 days, and really only around 4 if the first pitch of yeast didn't take. But still, isn't 2.63% ABV fairly low?

I'm worried to let it sit for another week without any activity in the airlock before I throw it in the air still. Thoughts?

Thanks

It could be that the molasses isn't fully fermentable(?) or has some preservatives I guess, but that should take off pretty well. If you're sure it's only at 1.040, I'd grab a sanitized spoon or something and stir it well to give it some oxygen and help it get going.

You need nutrients, specifically some nitrogen -- DAP would do that for you, also a teaspoon of mag sulphate (epsom salts), and a few crushed up multivitamins. I'd pitch a few more packets of the yeast. Better yet, get some EC-1118 at your LHBS as it has better tolerance for unpleasant conditions.

Fleischmann's yeast? That's only going to get the Pillsbury Doughboy drunk.
Will it ferment? Sure, but you need brewers yeast if you want something to drink.

Everytime I do a sugar washe, the Ph drops pretty low and causes ferment to stall. I've solved this problem by adding a cpouple TB of calcium carbonate as a ph buffer. A half tsp of DAP per 5gal is also a good idea. Sugar has no nutrients. Fleischmanns yeast has always worked fine for me.

You need nutrients, specifically some nitrogen -- DAP would do that for you, also a teaspoon of mag sulphate (epsom salts), and a few crushed up multivitamins. I'd pitch a few more packets of the yeast. Better yet, get some EC-1118 at your LHBS as it has better tolerance for unpleasant conditions.

Nutrients defnitly, vitamans will give the nutrients or a handful of malt... If run just after ferment. I will not use epson salts, my experience with epson salt is it stalls and forms a gell like coating.

Bread yeast works wonders in many mashes, followed by ec-1118 if it fails.

Most washes past 12% you start having nutrient problems, too high residual sugar or the yeast struggles too much which will give you larger heads and tails in ratio to your hearts, so high abv yeasts aren't always needed. And never think of going turbo.

Next time you make a sugarshine was use a can of tomato paste for nutrients. Works wonders and most sugarheads swear by it.

Next time you make a sugarshine was use a can of tomato paste for nutrients. Works wonders and most sugarheads swear by it.

I was looking for nutrient variants I can get at the grocery store since I’m out of yeast nutrients and my HBS store is over an hour away.

What ounce to gallon ratio would you recommend for tomato paste?

I was looking for nutrient variants I can get at the grocery store since I’m out of yeast nutrients and my HBS store is over an hour away.

What ounce to gallon ratio would you recommend for tomato paste?

Most recipies I am pretty sure call for a small can (5.5 oz) for a 5gal batch. A quick Google search will give you some good recipies and tips

Back