Stupid elec. question......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadhunter

Reaction score
Hi all, I've searched this forum, and the net, can't find the answer for my dumb question.
I ordered the stuff from Auber Ins.
1 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller (SSR control output)
Item #: SYL-2352

1 40A SSR Item #: MGR-1D4840

1 Heat Sink for Solid State Relay, 40A
Item #: HS40

1 SSR Cooling Kit
Item #: CFAN1

1 Liquid Tight RTD Sensor, 2” Probe, Weldless Fitting
Item #: PT100-L50M14•Cable Option - 12 ft Deluxe Cable

Now, I have a pretty good background in electricty/electronics, but it's been a long time since I've used any of it. I found, after ordering this stuff, and preparing to wire it all up, that my old house has 3 wire 220 service. Now, this PID requires two hot, one common, and one ground. I can't figure the best way to hook this stuff up, and be safe. Unless I drive a ground rod by my brew shack and add 4 wire service. Is there a way to wire this up by jumping the ground and common as it is in my junction box?

Thanks theknub. I understand, and have read that thread. It just dosen't answer the question I have. Maybe I didn't ask it correctly. There are "in" terminals on the back of my PID. One for ground, one for common, and two 110 terminals. Do I just omit the ground terminals? Or jump them to the common? Thanks for your patience. :)

you will only feed 1 leg of 220 to terminal #10 and a neutral to terminal 9 on the 2352. do not put 220 to it. you will also have to run a ground to your rig by running 4 wires to your panel(2 hot, 1 neutral and a ground). ground rod not a good idea.
Find PJ's wiring diagrams they'll show you what you need to know.

What danb35 said. Power connections to a SYL-2352 are through terminals 9 and 10. It can take 85-260v. If you use 110v then hot and neutral - it doesn't matter which one is connected to 9 or 10. You can also use 220v. Again, it doesn't matter which one is connected to 9 or 10.

Did you maybe get it confused with the SSR outputs on 7 & 8? or the RTD connections on 3, 4 & 5?

Thanks Dan and Riverbeer, Yep, you are right. I miss read thinking both hot leads, and the neutral hooked up there. sorry. However, I'm still confused about how to wire it up without separate ground and neutral leads. PJs diagrams for 220 systems all have 4 wire service coming in to the box.

Thank you Jeff. That is what I was Looking for. Now I am on the same page as the rest of the fine fellers that tried to help me get it. Thanks too all of you!

Latest posts

Back